When You Come Off The Pill...

xLisax

Max & Evies Mummy :)
Reaction score
How long does it take for your body to get back to normal? Im on Microgynon and wanted to prepare myself! :)

I know things like the coil can take anywhere up to 6 months to return periods to normal, is the pill alot simpler?

Thanks in advance ladies!

xx :thumbup: xx

It depends on the person. I was on microgynan and I'm not convinced that mine are 'normal' yet and I've been off the pill since January.

When I came off Depo provera a few years ago and BCP in July (Ortho cept) both times my cycle was normal right away.

After BCP AF arrived 6 days later, and lasted its normal 5 days. 29 days later AF arrived.

Really it depends on the person because I read some people where AF doesnt arrive for months.

hi,

i was also on microgynon and two weeks after coming of the pill i got my bfp but everyone is diffrent.

good luck

ive previously been advised to come off the pill in preparation 6 months before ttc. in the months after coming off and before trying, just use condoms.... or just see what happens! :) xxxx

Hi hon, I came off microgynon after 14 years in january and periods returned straight away, still chasing that BFP though!! Good luck!! x

When I went for my rubella test I was told that when you first come off the pill a lot of women get a fertility boost and that it wasn't worth me coming off a few months in advance. However, if you don't get pregnant initially it can your body a little while to get back into a normal cycle of ovulating regularly.

I didn't want to come off earlier as the timing wouldn't have worked for us if a condom had broken but if you are happy to get pregnant earlier than planned then coming off six months+ in advance probably wouldn't hurt.

The pill itself shouldn't impact your fertility (and there is some evidence that it may protect it) but I believe the issue is with individuals who've been on it a long time and either had irregular cycles beforehand or have developed PCOS/Endo while on the pill but being on the pill has masked the symptoms.

When I went for my rubella test I was told that when you first come off the pill a lot of women get a fertility boost and that it wasn't worth me coming off a few months in advance. However, if you don't get pregnant initially it can your body a little while to get back into a normal cycle of ovulating regularly.

I didn't want to come off earlier as the timing wouldn't have worked for us if a condom had broken but if you are happy to get pregnant earlier than planned then coming off six months+ in advance probably wouldn't hurt.

The pill itself shouldn't impact your fertility (and there is some evidence that it may protect it) but I believe the issue is with individuals who've been on it a long time and either had irregular cycles beforehand or have developed PCOS/Endo while on the pill but being on the pill has masked the symptoms.

I was on the pill for 10 years. I came off of it in April and I am still irregular. I am consistently on a 6 week cycle. I hope it gets normal soon. I feel I might get it in a few days which will put me at a 5 week cycle. I think I may be getting back to the way things should be. Everyone is different.

ITA with kiwichick...in fact when I saw my doc this week for me pre-pregnancy visit she said basically the same thing; that most women can get pregnant within the first month after coming off BC because once you stop taking them they stop working. She said it's a myth that you need to come off the pill months in advance to get the hormones "out of your system"...and that if you aren't prepared to get preggers right away after coming off BC you should definitely use some form of contraceptives.

Thanks Ladies, Youve all helped lots! :thumbup:

In this case I'll just come off my pill the month we're ready to TTC :winkwink:

Loving the thought of a 'fertility boost' and not long to wait for my BFP! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this happens in my case! :happydance:

Thanks Again Everyone!

:flower:

I took my last pill (Yasmin) at the end of July and had my AF straight away as per my normal "break". Here we are over a month later and I feel that womby-type niggle and have felt inexplicably low (not moody, just grumpy) the past day or so, so I'm expecting that AF will turn up soon.

The difference for me is that we're not yet trying! I wanted to come off the pill ready for when we do try, but we had a little slip up over the weekend (we both hate condoms), so fingers crossed that the AF delay is just my cycle settling down and that I'm not preggers!

i was on microgynon for 3 years and came off to ttc...2 weeks later i was pg! back on it now and expecting a quick bfp again..but as all have said...it depends on you. i think the guidelines say 6 months x

Hi Lisa

I was on microgynon for about 15 years without a break, have recently came off it, got my 1st AF after about 7 weeks, on 2nd cycle, AF should have been due on Wednesday but still nothing!!:wacko: Just hope I dont have another 7 week cycle!! :growlmad:
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->