When you hear Madeline...

I think madeline is a beautiful name but it reminds me of the missing little girl and I always feel sad when hearing it but I think it's a lovely name but since she went missing that's all I can relate that name too unfortunately :(

No... I don't really think of the missing girl, but I'm also from the States. :shrug: I think how it was always my most loved name until it became overly popular sometime in the 2000's.

No... I don't really think of the missing girl, but I'm also from the States. :shrug: I think how it was always my most loved name until it became overly popular sometime in the 2000's.

As this poster said, if you're from the US there really isn't this association (and yes, the name has gotten quite popular in there). I think my first association would be the Madeline books (you know, "In an old house in Paris all covered with vines lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.." Anyone? Anyone?

I can't speak for the UK, but think if your surname starts with Mc... anything then it's probably not a good idea.

I also love this name, but it does remind me of Madeleine McCann, and all of the media furore over the past few years. It's a shame, but I don't imagine that there would be many people in the UK who don't immediately think of the McCann story when this name is mentioned, and even spelling it differently (I prefer the traditional spelling in any event) wouldn't really change that.

Saying that, it doesn't mean that in 10 years time everyone will still associate it instantly with this story?

I wonder if the name Ben got less popular in the few years after Ben Needham vanished? It's still used fairly frequently these days, so I'm guessing that if it did, then the association didn't last too long?

does the rest of the world really not know about madaline mccann???

the 3 year old that was kidnapped (if you believe the story) in Spain when her parents abandoned her... it was a worldwide investigation, she is still missing and the cases is still open and regularly investigate across multiple countries - she is probably the most famous kidnap/missing victim in the world

the 3 year old that was kidnapped (if you believe the story) in Spain when her parents abandoned her... it was a worldwide investigation, she is still missing and the cases is still open and regularly investigate across multiple countries - she is probably the most famous kidnap/missing victim in the world

We do, but it's not the first thing that comes to mind when someone says "Madeline". When I lived in Scotland I would always see things in the news/tv about her, here in Oz they mention her maybe once every 6 months if that. It's not as present in everyone's mind.

NO. I teach 2 Madeline`s and my niece has the name too so i associate it with them. f its the name you choose those that matter will soon only associate it with your DD!

Actually she went missing in Portugal, not Spain.

To the OP, I think its a gorgeous name, but the association is there X

Actually she went missing in Portugal, not Spain.

To the OP, I think its a gorgeous name, but the association is there X

sorry im rubbish at geography lol

My first thought is 'In an old house in Paris all covered in vines...' which is one of my daughter's current favourite books.
I've also known a few Madeline's of different ages so I associate it with them.

I think some people will think of McCann, but only until they know your daughter, then they will think of her instead. And to be honest, bad things will always happen in the world. I know it's not nice to think of it, but you could pick a totally different name and a news story might break about someone of that name shortly afterwards.

No, I think of my daughter, cos that's what we are calling her

You can associate ANY name with someone from the news. Charlie Manson for example wouldnt put me off Charlie :)

It does but it's also on my list of favourite girls names. I love Maddie for short, it's such a pretty name.

Yeah I always associate it. I was actually thinking recently, you don't hear the name as much since it happened, I guess nobody wants the association.

OP, I wanted to say that I considered Madeleine as a name for my daughter too! The only reason we didn't go with it is because her dad isn't a fan of the name and I wanted something we both were happy with. I still very much love Madeleine though.

Some people may make the McCann association, but I don't think you should let that put you off. There are terrible things that happen to people of all names :( I myself share a name with a victim of one of my country's most horrific and remembered abduction, torture and murder crimes. That doesn't mean that everyone who meets me thinks of that case - there are plenty of people with my name and thus hundreds of other associations to make besides that one. No matter what name you choose, there will always be some association that can be made whether its a celebrity, someone else in the neighbourhood, in the news, etc. I just think regardless of the name, its easy to find some association out there you're not proud of (unless you go for a super obscure unheard of name.)

It is sad but I personally try to avoid any name with obvious 'murder' links (other than characters in books etc... but serial killers and such would be off limits)

my cousin was born 9 years ago and is called Millie... I cant look at her with out thinking of poor Milly Dowler - I mean 10 years later it doesn't register as much with little girls now but that was back at the height of the investigation (and everyone even my dementia riddled grandma noticed and commented amongst each other that it reminded them of the poor girl on the news and why would someone pick that name) and that link is now burned into our memories (I guess its a case of first impressions, shes my cousin and I love her but I still dont think of her when I hear that name)

As this poster said, if you're from the US there really isn't this association (and yes, the name has gotten quite popular in there). I think my first association would be the Madeline books (you know, "In an old house in Paris all covered with vines lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.." Anyone? Anyone?

I can't speak for the UK, but think if your surname starts with Mc... anything then it's probably not a good idea.

My first association were those books too! The cartoon is based off the books. I love the name, with Maddie as a nickname.

We don't have the constant reminder of the McCann case here, but even if we did, it wouldn't stop me from using it.

Yup, first thing that comes to mind.

I instantly passed on the name, both times because of the McCann association. Its such a controversial case and with the question mark still hanging over the parents and the fact she has never been found and it keeps appearing in the news..... just doesn't seem like an association I want people making with my little girl.

My first thought was the little French girl in the cartoon, but I'm in the US. On the other hand, I have heard of the McCann case.

Although some people might make the association - for how long? Five years from now, will people make the same association when she is a 5 year old? What about when she is graduating high school? Is anyone ever going to even think about the case then? When she is grown and getting a job?

That being said, I'm in the US. I don't know how long people will hang on to a big case like that. I wouldn't name my kid O.J. or anything, so I guess some things stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->