When your LO's hurt themselves...

A

AppleBlossom

Do you pick them up and make a fuss? Or do you try and distract them? I used to pick Grace up and give her a big cuddle if she hurt herself. But recently if she has banged her head rolling around I pick her up and try and distract her. I don't want her to be a big drama queen when she gets bumps and scrapes as she gets older. My dad smothered my little sister as she's the youngest and now she cries at absolutely everything and it's so annoying! I don't think I'm being harsh. For example Grace was in the bathroom and I went to get her pj's and she did a double roll over and banged her head on the radiator. I heard the bang and ran in, she was just looking at me and then her bottom lip started to go and she started to cry so I picked her up and kissed her head whilst I showed her herself in the mirror and she started to giggle at her reflection :)

I see how she reacts first and most of the time she is fine, but if she really hurts herself, like bangs her head and cries cause I can't get there quick enough to catch her, then I will hug her and tell her it is OK, but I don't panic about it and make the situation worse, if you know what I mean? Now she is walking she falls quite a bit. :( But she hardly cries unless it is a serious "Boo Hoo" as I call it. :) x

depends on the seriousess of the situation... if its just a fall down like on her bum, i say "whoops-a-daisy" pick her up give her a kiss and say try again..

if she as hit her head and had a big fright (like when my mum dropped her the other day!!) i ran in grabbed her and cuddled her.. let her cry for a bout a minute then said calmly tat she needed to calm down, have some juice ad come and see the birds dancing in the sky.. she was soon distracted..

but like you i dont want a cry baby x

If they fall down and don't instantly react then i just distract, if they do something and scream like earlier when paige stood up and bashed her head on the table and screamed her head off i give her a big cuddle,

I can tell the different's in the cries tho...sometimes they will just winge like for instance if paige is getting ratty and falls on her bum (which is padded) then i usual leave her too it or she comes to me x

Do you pick them up and make a fuss? Or do you try and distract them? I used to pick Grace up and give her a big cuddle if she hurt herself. But recently if she has banged her head rolling around I pick her up and try and distract her. I don't want her to be a big drama queen when she gets bumps and scrapes as she gets older. My dad smothered my little sister as she's the youngest and now she cries at absolutely everything and it's so annoying! I don't think I'm being harsh. For example Grace was in the bathroom and I went to get her pj's and she did a double roll over and banged her head on the radiator. I heard the bang and ran in, she was just looking at me and then her bottom lip started to go and she started to cry so I picked her up and kissed her head whilst I showed her herself in the mirror and she started to giggle at her reflection :)

I do that with Sam now too - as soon as he sees the mirror he forgets that he ever hurt himself!! He's never really hurt himself badly, but if he's fallen over and got a bit of a fright I'll pick him up and cuddle him, but try not to make a big deal out of it x

The only time Grace has really hurt herself was when she rolled off the couch. I picked her up and gave her a big cuddle because she was really upset

If it's just a small bump, my friend will clap her hands and say 'yaaaay!' to her one year old to distract her. Now, rather than crying with each little bump, her little girl starts clapping and smiling if she bumps herself.

If it's just a small bump, my friend will clap her hands and say 'yaaaay!' to her one year old to distract her. Now, rather than crying with each little bump, her little girl starts clapping and smiling if she bumps herself.

Aww bless! My ex's little sister is just over 1 and when she bumps herself she says "Oh dear" or "Oopsie Daisy"

Cuddle, kiss, distract.. In that order :rofl: She is a drama queen though lol

When Brooklynn does things like rolling over and bumping her head I actually look at her clapping my hands and saying yeah! ... you rolled over, I'm rewarded with a big grin from her and she continues playing...

There are times that when she tips over if I think she really did hit kinda hard I will pick her up for a cuddle but mostly I just look at her and say something like Oh! What happened??? to distract her and then she doesn't think its a big deal.

For the same reasons as you I try to not pick her up always as she is going to have bumps in life and I won't always be there and half the time I don't think that they are even really hurt just sorta surprised/startled

I see how he reacts first, if he cries he is hurt (he only cries when hurt) so I go straight to him, if he lies looking at me I know if I cuddle he will go into hysterics because he is looking to be fussed, but if he gets up straight away and walks to me he will get a quick cuddle. I have learned my lesson I used to jump everytime Dan fell and he turned into the biggest drama queen ever, even if another child so much as touched him he came squealing to me!!!!!!

thats exactly what id do and just check their head incase it was something serrious without thm realising xx

Kind of laugh at her but always have my arms open for a kiss better!! Depends how she falls or what in to if Mummy has a panic attack.

Caitlin tripped into a cabinet thats not usually in our livingroom the other day and the corner slit the side of her mouth - I was devoed :(

End of day if I fell and banged my head off certain things it would hurt me so I can't just leave her.

i see how she is - normally she's fine and we laugh and cuddle and kiss - in a fun way, but if she really cries from being hurt - think its only happened once - then i panic and have a good cuddle and cry together :dohh: x

For something little I kiss her boo-boo and we cuddle and laugh, she doesn't cry and it all ends up as a little fun ooops.

But for something serious (happened only once *knocks on wood*) I couldn't help myself not to panic...

Honestly, up until they are about 6 months old, I pick them up. After that, when they hurt themselves, I will wait a few seconds and see if they cry, or not, before I make a fuss or not make a fuss at all. It also very much depends on how they hurt themselves and where.

When our children do something silly like walking into a door...we giggle (as long as they havent really hurt themselves) and 9 times out of 10 they start giggling too!
Or say if they stubbed their toe...and we all know thats painful...ill say something like "did u see that silly door jump out and get your toe?" or "oooo look! you hurt the door"
Now when they do something silly or small, they tend to laugh or just get up and carry on.

But if they start crying i know its for real and my heart jumps into my throat.

Don't have my own LO, but with my brother and sister (I usually end up supervising when we're over there) I just say "Ooops, up you get then.." and my brother sometimes looks a bit dazed if he hurts himself, so I just go "You alright?" casually and he usually just says yep and continues what he was doing. I fully intend not to make a fuss and have told my OH not to make a fuss with my siblings, because it really makes a difference to their reactions (at their ages). Will give them a hug and stuff if they're younger or if they really hurt themselves and start wailing, but I would not stand a fussy, whingey child. :rofl:

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"