Where do I start??

Lulu

1 dude & 1 dudette
Reaction score
Fortunately I've got a few weeks before I need to start as Euan has only just turned 5 months but I'm trying to get my head round what to actually do. So I've got a few questions to ask girls before I send myself round the twist :wacko:

What is the best type of food to begin with, i.e. savoury or sweet? Should I start with just plain baby rice or mix something into it?

I know I should pick a time of day when he's quite calm, not too tired, etc and that each baby is different but when did you find the best time was?

How much did you give your baby the first day/days and how quickly, on average, should I progress to 3 meals a day?

Lastly, why am I getting myself so stressed about this?? :dohh:

Thanks girls :)

I am no expert, but I started solids on our LO last weekend... It's so confusing right now, but I bet in couple of months time we won't even remember why we found it so hard :)

I would recommend picking a time of the day when your LO is in good humour & not too tired or hungry, I started at 10.30 am before his mid-day bottle. I started with plain baby-cereal, which he wasn't impressed with... I reckon more of the food ended up on his clothes than in his mouth :)

This week I introduced pureed apple mixed with the baby cereal and he seems to like that one more...

Good luck & enjoy, it's a great experience to start feeding your LO.

I have just start weaning my LO and i dont really know what Im doin,
I started her on a few spoons of baby rice then a few days of just pain rice i added some puree banana, she loves that..but now i dont really know what the next step is!

HV told me to start with breakfast, then after 10 days add lunch, then after 10 days add dinner... she said their stomach needs to get used to working harder and that its bad to give them dinner first as itll sit in their stomach overnight. :shrug:

Was also told to start with savory as breastmilk is so sweet and if you then give sweet food too (eg fruit) then theyll be a nightmare to ge to eat savory :shrug:

Im doing this... roughly :dohh:

Are you planning to do BLW or puree?

Not quite sure yet, probably start with puree to be honest but ideally hoping to do a combination. If that's possible :shrug:

HV told me to start with breakfast, then after 10 days add lunch, then after 10 days add dinner... she said their stomach needs to get used to working harder and that its bad to give them dinner first as itll sit in their stomach overnight. :shrug:

Was also told to start with savory as breastmilk is so sweet and if you then give sweet food too (eg fruit) then theyll be a nightmare to ge to eat savory :shrug:

Im doing this... roughly :dohh:

I suppose the advice from your health visitor makes sense, no point in making their tums work too hard too quickly.

I should have explained that Euan is bottlefed, not sure how sweet that is really. Again don't want to give too many sweet foods and then struggle to get him to eat savoury. I've got a really bad sweet tooth too, so I'm wary of giving him lots of sweet foods.

If you wanna start with puree then I don't have a clue, sorry..

But with BLW, I just give Violet a selection of food everytime that I have food as long as she's not due for a bottle any time soon. With BLW they won't actually "eat" anything for a while so having to ease them in with one meal a day doesn't apply.

As for the amount, I just give her one handful of each food that's offered (eg. 2" piece of cucumber but cut in quarters - I'll offer her a quarter. A quarter of an apple.. just enough so that she can pick it up as it's not about how much she's actually eating yet).

I can't say about the savoury vs sweet either.. Violet is FF and she has a selection of everything that I eat.

That's the way I do it... Don't know if it's "right" but it works for us. She loves meal times and always explores all the food in front of her. I'm guessing it's completely different with puree, I think its more 'structured' so hopefully somebody else will be able to give you their point of view x

what does BLW mean ? :dohh:

Baby led weaning. Basically means giving baby finger foods instead of starting with purees. There is a thread at the start of this section of the forum all about it if you want to check it out.

what does BLW mean ? :dohh:

Baby led weaning. Basically means giving baby finger foods instead of starting with purees. There is a thread at the start of this section of the forum all about it if you want to check it out.

ohh thankyou :D im scared of doin this after i had an experience with aidan choking on a biscuit he was eating himself :(

I would keep an open mind regarding purees versus BLW. We decided on BLW only very recently, Ruby refuses spoon feeding anyway so we couldn't do purees even if we wanted to!

we do both and it works just fine :)

she has her meals lumpy but spoon fed.. then she has dessert apple, per, banana in chuncks

she also has celery, cucumber, carrott, mango as finger food as well as homemade rusks oh and toast lol

xx

I am keeping an open mind about BLW to be honest. I've got a book about it but haven't had the time to start reading it yet. I'm not sure how Euan will take to a spoon or food yet so it's all a big adventure!

FierceAngel how do you make homemade rusks? I'm liking that idea, just can't figure how you do it!

I am keeping an open mind about BLW to be honest. I've got a book about it but haven't had the time to start reading it yet. I'm not sure how Euan will take to a spoon or food yet so it's all a big adventure!

FierceAngel how do you make homemade rusks? I'm liking that idea, just can't figure how you do it!

i'd like to know the recipe, too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->