Where do those who feel shamed for FF lives?

redneckhippy

Reaction score
This is a sincere question. I often see on here people expressing that they've felt shamed for FF and I'm just curious where those of you who experience that live. I live in Ohio & FF is absolutely the norm and I often feel uncomfortable and like I'm seen as a weirdo for BFing. In the hospital I felt pressured to FF and out of 9+ babies in the nursery, my son was the ONLY one BFing and it seemed like the nurses found that inconvenient for them. All I ever see when I'm out is bottle fed babies so I feel uncomfortable BFing him and usually end up sitting outside in out car or in a bathroom (yuck) if he needs to eat when we're out. Also starting when my son was 3-4 months everyone is asking me how long I'm going to be nursing him and telling me he "needs" water and juice because BM isn't enough. I can't imagine anyone here feeling uncomfortable FFing since that's what everyone does and it's expected. Since I've seen all these posts I'm guessing it mute be different in other parts of the country?

I'm in the UK, I felt quite a bit of pressure to bf but I could only do it for 3/4 days. Midwives in hospitals here aren't supposed to encourage FF Xx

I'm in Greece and I felt pressure to BF and I tried for 2 months without really getting anywhere before I switched to formula. It's just the way things are here. They are right to promote BF but they also pressure you and shame you into it. They tell you it's natural and all women can do it and if you can't that it's only cause you don't want to. And in that way you are depriving your child of good nutrition blah blah blah...

Switching to formula was the best decision for me and I bonded more with my baby after the change.

I saw/see a lot more people FF out and about where I live but it didn't stop me feeling ashamed about the fact I failed at BFing.

North Carolina, USA.
BF is pushed hard here.
I did my best but I have PCOS which affects BM supply, plus Baby was injured at birth by meconium suction, so couldn't suck the breast properly, so he was FF by syringe from early on.
Caught a lot of shit for it even though it was what was best for him.
If I could have BF I would have but I did what was right and was shamed for it.

I live in Southeastern Ohio and I have to say I see a lot of formula fed babies and I too have felt pressure to stop nursing and switch to formula (i combi feed now). In my "group" of people however breastfeeding is normal and i have done it in public places many times. No one has ever seemed to look down on me for it... except my mother in law... it seems to really bother her.

I am curious... what part of Ohio do you live in?

I was living outside of Cleveland (Ohio) when I had a guy come up to me in a restaurant and tell me to put away the bottle and whip out my boob to feed my baby.

I had Kaiser for my insurance, and the nurse pretty much crammed breastfeeding down my throat at every appointment. I didn't mind the first time, because I love information and research, but she refused to drop it after I asked to discuss other things at the other appointments. (I found it pretty silly that she was also on a mission to get us to sign up for WIC, even though we made 75,000+ at the time... I was not happy at all with her)

I chose to exclusively FF, and the Kaiser OB that delivered me at a Cleveland Clinic stared at me and gave me a lecture about breastfeeding right after he stitched me up. Thankfully the nurse didn't give a fig, and got a bottle without any fuss. Her pediatricians never cared either, as long as she was growing well and meeting her milestones. But yeah, Ohio was not kind to me when it came to FF. (we moved right after she was born, and the South has been more relaxed)

Most of my co-workers and family that live in Ohio breastfed - I was the odd one out that FF. Just goes to show every experience is different!

I live in Texas and bf is pushed hard here too. It's so much healthier for baby that I had my mind set on it anyways, but I had an emergency c section and dd was in the nicu for 4 days and my supply never came in. I cried for days that I had to give up on breastfeeding her. Now that she's on formula and I see she's just as healthy I feel much better about it though

This is a sincere question. I often see on here people expressing that they've felt shamed for FF and I'm just curious where those of you who experience that live. I live in Ohio & FF is absolutely the norm and I often feel uncomfortable and like I'm seen as a weirdo for BFing. In the hospital I felt pressured to FF and out of 9+ babies in the nursery, my son was the ONLY one BFing and it seemed like the nurses found that inconvenient for them. All I ever see when I'm out is bottle fed babies so I feel uncomfortable BFing him and usually end up sitting outside in out car or in a bathroom (yuck) if he needs to eat when we're out. Also starting when my son was 3-4 months everyone is asking me how long I'm going to be nursing him and telling me he "needs" water and juice because BM isn't enough. I can't imagine anyone here feeling uncomfortable FFing since that's what everyone does and it's expected. Since I've seen all these posts I'm guessing it mute be different in other parts of the country?

I am in the state capital, and that has not been my experience. But then again, Columbus is super liberal, and very accepting of all different walks of life.
I combo feed, I usually take a bottle for when I am out and about, but I almost always end up breast feeding because it's just easier than preparing formula. I've never had anyone so much as blink an eye. Maybe do a double take, but nothing beyond that. But this is the city of ComFest, so most people have seen it all and more, anyway, lol.
Breastfeeding is also pushed very hard, at least at the hospital that I gave birth at. The nurse called for a follow up the other day, and when I mentioned I combo feed she started going over with me the benefits of breast, increasing milk supply, be sure to try to BF for at least 6 months, ad nauseam.

I live in South Georgia, US. I wouldn't say I was "shamed," especially since I wanted to BF and I tried REALLY hard to make it work, but BFing is really pushed hard here too. In fact, even though when I switched to FF I knew it was best for my baby, I was a little bit reluctant to tell anyone. I felt the need to explain why. And I don't even buy into the whole "breast is best, smarter healthier babies, blah blah blah..." ....idk, nobody was out of line or rude about it, in fact even my nurses said it's OK if it doesn't work out with breastfeeding. But I wonder what it would have been like if I didn't breastfeed because I CHOSE not to. I bet that wouldn't have been quite so OK. But I can't say for sure.

I'm in PA near Pittsburgh and I didn't feel pressured to FF or BF. Basically learned we have a choice and as long as your baby is eating who cares how its down. I did FF from day 1, I wish I BF but I chickened out. I know a lot of people who BF and a lot people who FF so it seems pretty even here

im in the uk. its encouraged here by midwives. but i ff my daughter. i never tried bf. im comfortable with my choice and i dont judge, or care how anyone else feeds. i hate the whole breast/formula dummy/no dummy weaning at six months/weaning before, co sleeping,holding too much, baby led/spoon led weaning debates....

everyone knows what works best for them and there baby. :) xx

I'm uk and was rubbish at bf so I ff after a month of pumping, I've never had anyone say anything bad about either. Them again I wouldn't care about their opinion anyway, my ds is very healthy and happy!

I live in the UK and I personally never felt shamed when FF. Actually, many of the responses I got from older family members were about how great it was that she would take a bottle (leaving aside the fact that she struggled to feed even from a bottle until about 5 months), because their children hadn't done so as easily when they were small (and I think they wished they had because formula was seen as being healthier and safer and more high tech than breastfeeding by many in those years). The only pressure or shame I experienced was for wanting to breastfeed and by health care providers. My midwives and health visitor and a few nurses I had to deal with were very negative and unsupportive of me breastfeeding. My daughter had latch and weight gain issues the first couple months and whenever I tried to breastfeed or get support from them for breastfeeding all I got is how I should use formula. I even had one midwife take offense to my desire to continue breastfeeding because "her three kids were formula fed and it was good enough for them" (as she threw some formula samples at me and left without helping me latch my daughter).

But I would say, not so much geographic, but I have seen negativity directed at others who FF (not me personally) in some natural parenting forums/meet ups/groups. I think there is a perception among some folks who found breastfeeding easy that those who don't BF or don't BF as long as them that it was because they didn't want to or because they didn't believe that BF was better and healthier. My daughter was BF for 10 weeks and then FF after that and I totally believe that breastmilk is ideal and healthier for babies than formula. And I absolutely wanted to BF her and know all the facts about it and we tried really hard despite her being unwell and losing weight and me being unwell and trying to express despite being sick, but my body just didn't respond to the combination of her poor latch plus trying to express (I struggle to make much milk through expressing) and then just being sick on and off for a month. I do very much consider myself someone who is a big proponent of natural birth and natural parenting, so I tend to be unusual in the sense that I FF longer than I BF in those circles. And while I haven't experienced any shaming myself (directed at me), I do see some of the discourse around formula feeding being distorted or misinformed in some of those circles, as in just not understanding that not all people who FF did so from birth as a choice because they don't know about the benefits of breastmilk (which seems to be what a lot of people think). I think actually the diversity of people's reasons for and experiences of FF is much more complex than that, which is why it's a shame that the discourse is so black and white (you either FF or you BF, but what about people who BF for 3 months and switched to formula or for 10 months and then switched to FF?). But I've generally found people in my life and who I have encountered out there in the world haven't made a big deal out of it one way or the other (and many of my close friends have BF their children 2+ years). Generally, everyone has been pretty supportive.

I formula fed my first child and never had anyone shame me for doing so. I breastfed my second child and constantly received dirty looks (and a few comments) regarding nursing in public. I'm now exclusively formula feeding my third child and have yet to experience any shame this time around. If anything, I believe it to be online that the shame is doled out.

I live in Tennessee. I do both; I pump and supplement with formula (she was in the NICU for a week so she got very used to bottles). I've felt shamed about my decision to do this as well by my mom and people in the hospital, mainly the lactation consultants. I feel this is the best choice for us right now, and she is healthy as can be. I just don't produce enough to exclusively pump.

Where I live? No where really.

Online? Everywhere. Everyone is a lactivist.

I live in manchester uk and with ds because he was my first it was pretty much rammed down my throat at every midwife app, (she was a lactation consultant) I decided I wanted to try breastfeeding as its meant to be good for baby, she didn't even give me a leaflet on ff or spoke about it not working! So ds comes along and I am as dry as a bone, nothing was coming out, I had midwives in the nospital trying to hand pump my boob! Absolute zilch! I felt awful as they say it's the most natural thing in the world and everyone can do it! Well I must be the exception to the rule as I don't oroduce milk. So I was having dd and midwife (same one) asked if I was gonna try this time as every pregnamcy is different so I said I would but if it really isn't there again I'm gonna go straight to formula and she gave me some info this time! Would have been handy first time around. I had dd and same again, no milk so I am one of those women who don't oroduce and I'm ok with that now, I felt like such a failure first time around as the people around me were really pushing bf. But a happy mummy = a happy baby and I love that they have formula now xxx

I'm in Los Angeles California and I feel very shamed for FF. So does everyone else I know who had difficulties BFing and had to FF. THe hospital makes you feel like a terrible person if you don't ebf. The doctors- gyno and pediatricians are opposite and think it's ridiculous, but the nurses and most people here feel BFing is the only way to go or you are doing a total disservice to your child. Personally I don't think one is superior to the other, and neither do any of the 3 pediatricians I've had for my dd's, but I'm sick of constantly being asked "are you still bfing"- like it is anyones business how I feed my child!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->