Which milk for cereal?

Gem1302

Mummy to 1
Reaction score
Hi ladies!
My friend & her daughter stayed at our house the other night and her daughter is a month younger than Jenson, so 9 months, and when I was sorting breakfast in the morning she was surprised that I use some formula for jensons weetabix as she's been using full fat cows milk since 6 months. Have I been doing it wrong? lol I thought no cows milk until 1 :dohh: is it ok to start using it on cereal now at almost 10 months? I feel daft aha :)
Tia

Cows milk is fine in cooking and on cereal from 6 months

From what I know cows milk can be used from 6 months like other new foods/drinks but obviously not as a replacement for forumula/breastmilk until a year. BUT I also don't think it's weird putting formula on cereal, just means baby will get extra nutrients with breakfast!

Yes, cow's milk in foods is fine from 6 months. It just shouldn't be a replacement for breastmilk (in the way that formula is, so shouldn't offer it in a bottle/as a drink until closer to 1) as it's too salty and doesn't have quite the ideal balance of nutrients/protein/fat. But there's no need to use formula in foods after 6 months (before 6 months is a different story). I'd make the switch to cow's milk. It's so much easier plus it tastes much nicer and then you don't have to make special foods for baby that don't contain milk.

Yep whole milk from 6 months, nothing wrong with BM or formula in food my only worry would be they are sweeter than cows milk so it might make their palate a little too likened to sweet foods especially if doing continuously not just to wean initially. I have done it with BM though to introduce foods as I purée (after 6 months).

Thanks guys, I'll buy some full fat and try him on it then. We only usually have semi-skimmed in the house!

Thanks guys, I'll buy some full fat and try him on it then. We only usually have semi-skimmed in the house!

We don't drink milk in our house so a complete change for us having to make sure there is always full fat milk in our house! Although now it is there my husband is partial to a bowl of cereal every now and then!

Whaaat?! I had no idea you could use cows milk for breakfast?! I could of shared my weetabix with DD when she was demanding some after all! :dohh:

Glad it's not just me! He had it for the first time today, seemed to like it :) think it gave him a funky poop but nothing horrendous :) he is used to yogurts & cheese though.

ive always wondered this, ive never understood why babies/children can have milk with cereal or in food from 6M but not as a drink until 1YO i thought it was that milk as a drink is too rich yet, my OHs auntie explained it as..
'if you give a 6MO cows milk as a drink they may like the taste more and refuse formula, and they need formula still until 1, so its best to hold off having drinking milk until formula has stopped' this made sense and now i totally get it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->