Who is thinking about or planning...

InformedMomma

Reaction score
An unassisted childbirth? My partner and I are just beginning to interview homebirth midwives and are hoping to find a hands off midwife who will help only if I ask or if I or baby absolutely need it. I'm also seeing a midwife that attends births at the local birthing center for my prenatal care so I'll have that relationship in case I want to or have to transfer. BUT if we can't find a midwife who will completely respect our wishes I'll be going for a UC. I feel safer without the unnecessary interventions of cervical checks or pushing my placenta to be born automatically after baby come instead of letting it happen naturally.
Who is with me?
Any mamas going to UP/UC route?

Talk to NDH! She's on this forum and is planning to go unassisted. She posted a little ways back in this section.

Talk to NDH! She's on this forum and is planning to go unassisted. She posted a little ways back in this section.

I saw that she posted over in the pregnancy group section and we have been chatting a bit! Wondering if there are any others around the boards :)

I didn't go unassisted, I had a midwife birth at the hospital....but I just wanted to say that my midwife was very hands off. I think a good midwife will perceive what you need. I predicted I would go in to the zone and I was indeed that way and the only time I felt my midwife was there before pushing was when she would come in to do Doppler checks silently and leave again. It was so peaceful and she she was just making sure the baby was okay.
While pushing I appreciated her support and she was there reassuring me. It was perfect for me....

My midwife lives about an hour away so I was prepared for a bba last time, she got here with a few mins to spare and waited in the hall. This being my 4th, I fully acknowledge she probably won't get here, and I'm fine with that. She's fab in any case, haven't seen her yet this pregnancy (haven't needed to, we don't do screening or testing) and she's really supportive. If I couldn't have her as a midwife I wouldn't have any midwife.

We are planning an unassisted. I currently see an ob however he's fully aware I plan on "waiting till its to late to go in" my mother is very against this however my mil in for us trying and will be a great resource if we need her. I'm doing lots of research on herbs and oils to stop hemmoraging. Dh is researching how to react to different complications as he will be catching baby this time since I did our first.

We are planning a birth at the birthing center near us, but the midwives are very hands-off with things.

Unless necessary, they mostly just leave mama to labor as she needs to, checking in to ensure that no one seems to be in distress or to see if they are needed/wanted. But very quiet and non-intrusive.

From other people with whom I've conversed about birth centers/midwives in the US, most said that was their midwife's approach to things -- let the mama take the lead and only get involved when/if necessary. So hopefully, you'll have good luck finding someone, quickly, who'll suit your needs! :) :hugs:

You already know I am. Good to see others thinking about going down the same road :)
We will not be telling family of our intentions beyond that we will ne having a homebirth. Thats enoigh for my mom to take in Haha. But I'VE been testing the waters posting so much about homebirth on Facebook in recent months she was at least supportive and accepting of it even though its crazy to her lol.

I have just reached out to a local birth group I'm in about my plans and have been met with much love and support, and met another lady who is also planning a UC.

I haven't decided if I want a doula or other women around during labour or if I want more intimacy of just my DH and I and children if theyre awake, but will certainly have someone on standby for them.

I'm so excited and feel the best of all my pregnancies. Its awesome!

Mine was not unassisted, but almost all of the midwives we interviewed were more than willing to not touch me at all if those were my wishes. I eventually requested a cervical check, but my midwife never so much as breathed about them until I brought it up as a request. She also talked through exactly what I wanted at my birth, whether I wanted her to be hands on or whether I wanted her to hang out in another room reading a book until I was finished and decided whether I wanted a quick exam after. I went the other direction and wanted lots of her involvement, but we definitely had the option of a pseudo-unassisted.

Im very newly pregnant but I am considering an unassisted birth. I am a very private and shy person and I don't like the idea of having a mostly stranger not only in my home, but also all up in my lady bits. Cost is also a factor for me as the money I would pay for a midwife could go towards me being able to stay home from work that much longer. Births here in the US do not come cheap..and that is annoying. I am also thinking of forgoing scans and testing as there is nothing that will have me terminate this pregnancy and there is nothing one can really do if something is wrong. Although I might have my iron levels checked from time to time as that was a real problem for my two sisters during their pregnancies. This is my first, and it is an exciting yet terrifying possibility to toy with. I have not mentioned anything to the DH yet. My main reason for entertaining the idea of a UC is the fact that I do not agree with a lot of modern medicine. By the time I am ready to pop, two of my sisters will be doctors: a chiropractor and the other in traditional Chinese medicine, so I can always have them for medical support.

That would be do amazing to have a chiropractor and TCM practitioner on call!

Kudos for thinking of going UP/UC already for your first. I wish I had been so informed from the beginning.:flower:

Well I come from a family of home-birthers.I def. hope I can stay out of hospital. I hear the stories from my friends how the doctor had to give them this drug and then they were doing really poorly and the baby was doing poorly so they had to give them that drug! That is really frightening to me!

That's awesome, tankel! (Love your icon BTW -- my daughter's favourite film ever!)
A chiropractor on call would definitely be wonderful! I've discovered how helpful chiropractic care is during this pregnancy and I bet it'd be great during labour.
Do you know anyone who does acupuncture? An acupuncturist came to my house during my labour/birth with DD and it was sooooo helpful for positioning and relaxation.

That's awesome, tankel! (Love your icon BTW -- my daughter's favourite film ever!)
A chiropractor on call would definitely be wonderful! I've discovered how helpful chiropractic care is during this pregnancy and I bet it'd be great during labour.
Do you know anyone who does acupuncture? An acupuncturist came to my house during my labour/birth with DD and it was sooooo helpful for positioning and relaxation.

My sister as a TCM dr does acupuncture! I never thought about using it during labor

My sister as a TCM dr does acupuncture! I never thought about using it during labor

Sounds like you're set! :thumbup: Yeah, it's really useful for labour (and after 37 weeks for cervical ripening). See is she knows some pain relief, fetal positioning, and relaxation acupuncture for use during labour!

I had an unassisted pregnancy and birth with my second, and am 40 weeks 4 days into my second unassisted pregnancy. Planning another unassisted birth any day now obviously lol. :) There are a few good facebook groups with lots of activity if you are interested, please PM me. :)

Unassisted meaning just hubby and I.

I don't plan to have unassisted but I will be doing everything in my power to use a midwife either in a private birthing center or homebirth. I say everything in my power because I know we'll be moving in February but don't know where yet so can't set up my appointments for wherever that is yet. I already had an initial appointment with a midwife here, and will have at least one more with her. I, too, just have little interest in the constant checking and such, as well as risk of unnecessary intervention.

I love the idea of acupuncture during labor. I currently get acupuncture treatments and strongly believe that and the TCM aided me in conceiving.

I'll have a midwife there but I am going to ask for no examinations if possible and no intervention if all is well. I found my midwife to be useless last time. She helped in literally no way as I didn't need assistance, but embarrassed and made fun of me.

I'll have a midwife there but I am going to ask for no examinations if possible and no intervention if all is well. I found my midwife to be useless last time. She helped in literally no way as I didn't need assistance, but embarrassed and made fun of me.

That is just awful. I'm sorry to hear.

I'd really like to go unassisted with my second but my husband still needs convincing. With my first I went to a birthing centre, and while the midwives were helpful in cleaning up and taking care of us after our DD was born, they were mainly stressful to have around before and during the birth.

Question - anyone have any idea of what to do about catching the baby if you're going unassisted and you choose to not have a birthing partner in the room?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->