Whole nuts

noon_child

Reaction score
I know the official guidance is no whole nuts before 5yrs of age but I just wanted opinions from Mums.

My Lo is 4 in under a month. About 6months ago we visited my parents for a celebration and there were nuts out on the table (pistachios). I entered the room after going to the loo to find my family all amazed at how much LO loved them! So basically she'd been helping herself for the past 5mins. I mentioned the official guidance kinda casually ("You know, the NHS say nuts are a choking hazard under 5yrs old and say not to give them") but it was hard to push the position when she'd already eaten them and was coping so well.

Now we are in advent, and nuts are coming back out. LO has headed straight for our bag of pistachios and helped herself. I'm not sure if I should be saying "No darling, you can't have these, they're just for grown ups" when she knows she's been able to have them before and of course I DH is completely unaware of the guidance from the NHS, he just follows her lead.

I know advice is just advice and decisions are up to parents, knowing what we know about our kids, but I don't want to be stupid and irresponsible. What do you think?

My thoughts are that guidelines such as those do not exist because nuts are always an issue, but because they can be. Your daughter did fine with the nuts last time, but that doesn't mean that she will do fine with them next time. Could you just chop some up for her and give them in a separate dish?

If whole nuts are unavoidable, I'd just make sure that she's sitting down, eating one at a time, and she is well supervised! :)

My thoughts are that guidelines such as those do not exist because nuts are always an issue, but because they can be.

I kinda agree - in that I believe an adult can choke on whole nuts. Boiled sweets make me nervous too, I don't let her have those but my bro nearly choked on a mint when he was 15yrs!

But do I chop the nuts up for her for the rest of her life?

I think it's really individual and just what you're comfortable with and willing to supervise. My daughter is 22 months and has had small pieces of whole nuts (so not like the whole nut, but a cashew broken into halves or thirds). She has her molars and has only ever had finger foods so is a really safe, confident eater. She has them sitting down and only one small piece at a time and I watch her closely. I feel comfortable with that personally, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with random family members feeding her anything without my permission.

Same as above it is individual. If I knew that was my daughter who managed them I would let her I know a two year old who eats nuts. Each child is ready at different agesand that Iis a "guide". My daughter was ready for food before 6 months again it all a guide

I wouldn't feel comfortable with random family members feeding her anything without my permission.

I know there are loads of threads on here where people's parents are really dismissive of their views but it really wasn't like this. Yes they are not as aware of the guidelines because they were different when they were parenting us, but they hadn't "given" her the nuts, she just helped herself because she's 3yrs old and is used to eating what everyone else eats. I'm not meaning to get at you for your kind reply MindUtopia, just didn't want anyone to think I couldn't turn my back for family members giving LO whole nuts coated in raw egg dusted with cocaine or anything :haha:

I just see other people being relaxed about things I thought I was "supposed" to worry about and I wonder if I'm wasting my time listening to the "experts".

I also wondered if the 5yrs thing was because as they get bigger the nut isn't as likely to block the whole oesophagus????? but I think as it contracts against a foreign body it doesn't really matter how big the hole is in the first place???

My 2 year old has been eating cashew pieces since she was 18 months and absolutely loves them. I just buy the ones labeled unsalted cashew pieces from the grocery store and give her a handful when she asks for them. Never had a problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->