Whooping cough jab for husband in uk?

kellyrae

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question really to see if anyone else has got there oh to get the whooping cough jab before baby is born and what did you do to get it in the uk?

I want my husband to have it seen as I have and also because there's a high chance my baby may end up in nicu for low blood sugars and I think its safer if you are to be around any babies let alone those at higher risk of something so dangerous when its so contagious.

Do I just make an appointment at my docs for him to go have it done or should I talk it through with my midwife seen as she has only mentioned it for me to get done?

Thanks in advance :flower:

I would think you'd have to have it done privately. As far as I know it isn't offered generally for adults on the NHS. Xx

Wow, why wouldn't the NHS pay for the vaccine for adults who will be around the baby? That sucks.

Wow, why wouldn't the NHS pay for the vaccine for adults who will be around the baby? That sucks.

Because they'd have to vaccinate a lot of people if everyone who visits the baby wanted it!

The baby should get immunity to whooping cough from your vaccine - that's why you get it in pregnancy.

The point of the vaccine in pregnancy is so that baby cant catch whooping cough as you will have passed on a immunity. If you are BF that immunity will be stronger still.

The NHS cant afford to vaccinate every adult thats going to come into cntact with a baby. Vaccinated people pass it on anyway without having the symptoms themselves.

Whooping cough isnt very infectious and we are coming to the end of the season for it so its not even around that much at the minute

I was under the impression it was highly contagious.....https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Whooping-cough/Pages/Introduction.aspx

:shrug:

Think I would feel better if he had it anyway just so my own mind is at ease, I don't mind paying for it privately if I have to.

Thanks ladies :flower:

You'll most likely need to pay for your OH to have it done privately. You could give your doctors surgery a call and ask if they can arrange it and how much it will be.

I was under the impression it was highly contagious.....https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Whooping-cough/Pages/Introduction.aspx

:shrug:

Think I would feel better if he had it anyway just so my own mind is at ease, I don't mind paying for it privately if I have to.

Thanks ladies :flower:

Yes, here in the US they recommend that anyone who comes in contact with the baby have the shot at least two weeks before. My husband got the shot because we read that 80% of babies who get it do so from a family member. We are also asking other family members to get it if they haven't had it already.

I could be wrong, but from the threads I've read, in America, they suggest anyone coming into contact with baby has it because the mother gets it when in labour. In the uk, I've been told as long as I get it by 36 weeks (normal pregnancy 38 weeks) my baby will be able to build up her own immunity to it before she's old enough for her jabs. I've only been told to get it before 36 weeks, as my son arrived at 34 weeks, and they want to make sure I've had it early enough in case of another early arrival. 99% of people that come into contact with your baby won't have had it, including most the nicu staff I'd imagine.

No, you do not get the pertussis vaccine while in labor in the US! You get it whenever, normally early in pregnancy, and it is recommended that all adults in close contact get it as well. Yes, the baby can develop immunity, but that is not a guarantee. It is very contagious and if a few shots can save even one life, it is totally worth it. Most, nurses, doctors and NICU workers in the US are vaccinated for it, unless they refuse, which is their right, of course.

Ok, just a lot of threads I've read about it a few if the American women say they'll be getting it when they go into delivery. I'm sure like everywhere, it varies from hospital to hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->