Whooping cough vaccine

stellababy

Reaction score
Jumping over from second trimester to see if you got the whooping cough vaccine at 28 weeks and if the baby was ok.

This is pretty new, and I didn't have to do this with the other kids. Looking for some guidance here!

Yes, I got it when pregnant with Emma, as well as a flu shot. All good!

Yes, and yes all was fine. It's actually not all that new. I had it with my first which was nearly 5 years ago in the UK and it's been offered in the U.S. somewhat routinely for longer than that, though obviously in the U.S. practices vary a lot more from doctor to doctor as there is less standardization of protocols. There is good data on it from U.S. community studies, so studies of large community based populations of women who have opted to have it during pregnancy (not clinical trials run by pharma companies as they don't include pregnancy women in clinical trial samples), and it's all positive as far as I can see. No abnormal levels of adverse reactions and even where there are adverse reactions, the risk is still lower than your baby getting whooping cough. So anytime a pregnancy or neonatal complication arises after someone had had the vaccine that could be related back to the vaccine even in a very speculative way (like if someone got the jab at 28 weeks and later on developed pre-eclampsia, probably not related at all), these things still get reported as potential adverse reactions to a central safety monitoring database. Even adding up all these adverse reactions, it's much safer to get the vaccine that to risk getting whooping cough, which has a much higher rate of serious injury and death. There's a good presentation put together by the CDC if you want to have a google.

Had it, no problems here.

My doctors office does it at 32-36 weeks. The hospital I deliver at is requiring it for moms and dads..

Yes I had it both times at 28 weeks and my 2yo and 8mo are perfectly healthy.

TBH if you have any concerns talk it over with the dr or midwife, they can provide you with all the info including side affects and statistics on how often they occur

If you want to read up before you go this is the official government info https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...age-estimates-in-england-april-to-august-2014
Key points are no findings of any increased risk and 91% chance of the baby catching whooping cough before first vaccinations.

I had both the Tdap and flu shot when pregnant with my son. He's fine. I haven't decided if I'm going to get it again this time. I think I'm going to to ask to have my titers drawn first. If they look good, then no im definitely not getting it this time. If my immunity has worn off, then I don't know, I will have some serious thinking to do.

I never got the vaccine and my son is perfectly healthy x

I didn't get it with my first, 6 years ago, and she's very healthy! I did get it this time and so far so good. It wasn't routinely offered 6y ago; that's the only reason I didn't get it.

I was worried too because it was new but my 10 month old had no issues because of it. Whooping cough is horrible so I recommend listening to your doctor and get the vaccine.

I also got it at 28 weeks.

Yep i got it with my son and with this pregnancy.
Also got the flu jab. Xx

I had it with my second baby and there haven't been any problems.

I got it with both my pregnancies and all has been fine. Two healthy babies, and they're very healthy boys.

I got it with both of my pregnancies and both of mine are perfectly healthy - my brother got whooping cough as a baby and he still has lung issues at nearly 30 so a no brainier for me :shrug:

Well, I ended up getting it today. It's been about 12 hours and my arm is starting to be sore just now. Hopefully no more sideffects. I spoke to some friends and me kids pediatrician and everyone is very pro this vaccine​

Well, I ended up getting it today. It's been about 12 hours and my arm is starting to be sore just now. Hopefully no more sideffects. I spoke to some friends and me kids pediatrician and everyone is very pro this vaccine​

Glad you did your research and are feeling pretty good. I hope the soreness goes away quickly!

You'll feel some soreness for a little while but it goes away after a while.

I got it with my first and second, 3.5 years apart. Mainly because i lived in an area that had whooping cough outbreaks each year. Had no problems. Didn't get it with this baby because it's been less than 2 years since i got the last one and was told that i should still be covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->