why a c section earlier than 40 weeks w/ breech babies?

DLA

1st Time Mom & lovin it!
Reaction score
Last I knew my little lady was head down but for some reason I keep getting the feeling that she turned just because I felt some MASSIVE movements. I'm probably wrong. She probably is head down but me being me, I've started thinking about breech babies and c sections.

A friend of mine had a c section with her breech baby around 39 weeks. What is the reason they seem not to let you go to 40 weeks with breech baby? I would guess that it's because they don't want to risk you going into labor with a breech baby because that could mean problems ?

Just been curious about this. Hopefully my little girl is still head down and will remain that way! C sections scare me!

Exactly, most doctors here would rather schedule a bit early then have to have an emergency c section if labor starts early. That being said, it's your choice how you want to do it...

Is it not possible to vaginally deliver a breech baby? I just wonder what happened with breech babies before c sections because it seems like being breech is somewhat common.

Yes it very possible to vaginally deliver a breech baby but I think its harder to find a Dr/mw happy to do it. I think the skill and confidence by health professionals is being lost.

I havent had a breech baby but I " think" my doctor will let you try to deliver a breech baby if its your second or more pregnancy. If its your first, he does c section. I think. Ha. If you have other wishes, please talk about it with your doc, maybe you can come to an agreement in something.
Hope your baby did turn for yo!

C-section is much less traumatic on the uterus if it is not contracting. I think it's easier to get baby out too. Many doctors see the risk of complications (difficulty easing into the birth canal because of breech presentation, cord prolapse which depletes baby's oxygen supply before she can breathe, etc.) as too high to attempt vaginal breech delivery.

I'm thinking they don't even teach many of the techniques of delivering breech babies to med students anymore. It also depends on what breech position baby is in. Some docs will only deliver Frank breech whereas others will deliver Frank and footlong. Transverse babies do not come out vaginally.

A elective csection is less likely to have complications and recovery is quicker then with a emergency csection which is why they do it at 39 weeks.

Its entirely possible to birth a breech baby vaginally

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"