Why age 35?

MissN8

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering why is it age 35 that you are classed as an older mum if ttc? what is the difference from 34 to 35? I just don't get it. do you think its to scare women they say this. last time I was in for a smear test I mentioned it to the nurse and she said not to worry that 35 is still young to try which I agree but its just you do hear so many people mention possible risks after 35. I am going to try and not think about it and if after 6 months nothing happens then go for tests.

Honestly, personal health of each individual is going to make much more of a difference than age, but they have to pick an age for legal reasons and statistically speaking a greater percentage of women will have troubles either conceiving or with birth defects starting approximately around the age of 35.

I had sex only once both times I got pregnant (at age 36 and 39) and had the easiest pregnancies and labors, so I don't believe it for a second. I know girls in their 20's who had a much worse time of it than me.
I also had great recoveries. Bounced right back into my pre-pregnancy size less than 1 month after the births.

Yes, I agree with Seity--it's just an age experts have agreed upon based on statistics that show 35+ is when women tend to START having problems conceiving, sustaining a healthy pregnancy etc. From my research however, I think it's more like 38 when your fertility tends to--generally--drop off, and after 40 when miscarriage rates really rise. Like Seity I also got pregnant very easily (at 35) and didn't have problems. I know women older than me who had similar experiences, and much younger women who struggled to conceive and have worse pregnancies and births. I do think you have to take so much more than age into account.

thanks for the reply girls. I guess each individual is different. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->