Why always sterilise with formula?

Pearls18

Reaction score
We've started doing a bedtime bottle of formula this week, I have never sterilised bottles for expressed breast milk as I know there is no need but I have heard when using powdered formula you should always sterilise even after 6 months. I'm happy to do this, just the annoying kid in me wants to say "why?", just wondering why we need to sterilise bottles just because the powder itself isn't sterile? Doesn't the boiling water sterilise the powder?

Just wondering :coffee:

I think so because with the tommee tippee machine, it's gives a shot of boiling hot water first to sterilise the powder and once that's done, the rest of the water is added at normal temp.

I used to sterilise everything even when I was BFing, pump, bottles, teats etc. didn't enter my head that I didn't need to lol, what a prat! Xx

I used to sterilise everything even when I was BFing, pump, bottles, teats etc. didn't enter my head that I didn't need to lol, what a prat! Xx

I think with my eldest I sterilised everything until 6 months then completely stopped despite combi feeding, but this time around since doing the breastfeeding management course learning that because BM is sterile and has anti-bacterial properties means you don't need to sterilise no matter the age so that was cool, but then found out I should have sterilised longer with formula last time. Just wondering why :) always better to be over cautious! I gather sterilising doesn't seem to be all that common at all in some countries represented on this website so there is a mish mash of evidence.

There is a nasty bacteria that can potentially live in formula powder because it's not sterile, cronobacter. It's dangerous and can cause an all manor of problems, that's why we have to sterilise the powder ourselves with boiling water.

The sterilising of the bottle is not really to do with cronobacter, but actually to do with the bad bacteria all around us in the air. When making bottles, prepping bottles, the bad bacteria can come into contact with the milk and because it's got sugars and is a nice warm temp, it can multiply. Formula breeds bacteria.

If we wash the bottles but fail to remove all the milk residue (even if it's invisible!) these bacteria remain present and can be mixed into the new milk and they can cause illness like gastroenteritis. If we wash the bottles but fail to remove all the milk, yet sterilise, these high temperatures kill any nasty bacteria we've missed. And even though some people choose to stop sterilising at 6m because 'baby's put everything in their mouth' this is a very poor argument as a baby's immune system is not 100% effective until way after their 1st birthday.

To explain in layman's terms: if you wouldn't let your baby drink old formula milk...then keep sterilising! :)

There is a nasty bacteria that can potentially live in formula powder because it's not sterile, cronobacter. It's dangerous and can cause an all manor of problems, that's why we have to sterilise the powder ourselves with boiling water.

The sterilising of the bottle is not really to do with cronobacter, but actually to do with the bad bacteria all around us in the air. When making bottles, prepping bottles, the bad bacteria can come into contact with the milk and because it's got sugars and is a nice warm temp, it can multiply. Formula breeds bacteria.

If we wash the bottles but fail to remove all the milk residue (even if it's invisible!) these bacteria remain present and can be mixed into the new milk and they can cause illness like gastroenteritis. If we wash the bottles but fail to remove all the milk, yet sterilise, these high temperatures kill any nasty bacteria we've missed. And even though some people choose to stop sterilising at 6m because 'baby's put everything in their mouth' this is a very poor argument as a baby's immune system is not 100% effective until way after their 1st birthday.

To explain in layman's terms: if you wouldn't let your baby drink old formula milk...then keep sterilising! :)

Thank you lovely that was exactly what I was after :) BF really is so much easier in the long run!

I think with my eldest I sterilised everything until 6 months then completely stopped despite combi feeding, but this time around since doing the breastfeeding management course learning that because BM is sterile and has anti-bacterial properties means you don't need to sterilise no matter the age so that was cool, but then found out I should have sterilised longer with formula last time. Just wondering why :) always better to be over cautious! I gather sterilising doesn't seem to be all that common at all in some countries represented on this website so there is a mish mash of evidence.

None of the US websites i've read recommend sterilizing...i don't think most people do it here and i can't find any evidence that it's harming babies to not sterilize. It's funny the differences between countries. I don't formula feed but if we ever have to, i probably won't bother sterilizing the bottles after first use.

It must be a difference in countries. I formula feed my baby and have never sterilized my water. I do sterilize all her bottles and pacifiers once a week but I don't think that's even that common here. I thought maybe other countries did it because their water wasn't as good as ours or something but I must be wrong on that too. It looks like they boil it because of the formula. I do buy the gallon jugs of baby water to mix my LO bottles with.

I have no idea because I've never done it. Don't sterilize anything for my babies. No reason since they don't have a compromised immune system.

If you don't sterilise, how do you wash them? Just rinse them, put them in the dishwasher, hot soapy water...? I sterilise my pump and all bottles after every use, even through they're only used for breastmilk. I've never read anything that suggests I don't need to do this (I'm in the UK) but would love to give myself less work to do if I can.

If you don't sterilise, how do you wash them? Just rinse them, put them in the dishwasher, hot soapy water...? I sterilise my pump and all bottles after every use, even through they're only used for breastmilk. I've never read anything that suggests I don't need to do this (I'm in the UK) but would love to give myself less work to do if I can.

Yeah I rinse and I use a dishwasher so I'm quite happy they're washed thoroughly as well (for breast milk bottles, I will sterilise for formula) but I sometimes have to re-wash teats in hot water as they can get residue.

I feel like a complete idiot now. This is my third formula baby and I always sterilized the bottles, but never the formula! I wouldn't even know how to sterilize the formula. I buy the gerber water for formula and the can said to measure the water you need, add the powder, shake and feed. Do I use boiling water instead and let the formula cool before feeding?

I feel like a complete idiot now. This is my third formula baby and I always sterilized the bottles, but never the formula! I wouldn't even know how to sterilize the formula. I buy the gerber water for formula and the can said to measure the water you need, add the powder, shake and feed. Do I use boiling water instead and let the formula cool before feeding?

That's how we're told to do it in the UK, it says so on the NHS website and on the formula instructions :flower: our water quality is fine, but I have heard a few American ladies say it's not the routine advice there.

I wash my bottles, nipples, etc in warm soapy water after every use. I boil them to sterilize them once a week. I do not boil my water for bottles. I also use the gerber water in the gallon jugs. I just pour the water in, add formula, shake and its done. I think the water I buy is already sterilized. I even think my tap water would be ok but we have a water softener so I don't want to use it. I have never been told or read anywhere to boil my water before using it in the bottles.

It's so strange how it's different everywhere! I sterilized my bottles because gone off milk is horrible and I'd hate to think some Was left in the bottle.. Then baby gets a tummy upset. Sterilizing itself takes no time just putting sterilizer and push button x

I have stopped sterilising bottles, it seems rather pointless as he is healthy, perhaps if he was ill I might. I use Hipp formula which I make with cooled boiled water, at no point is the formula heated. My friend uses another brand which requires boiling water so I guess they all vary. I have on occasions made it up with bottled water when out and about. I clean the bottles well and store appropriately so I am happy what I am doing is safe. My mum never sterilised a thing for me and I am fine :)

i also wonder this, although i do sterilise ALL bottles.. i do get that formula grows a nasty bacteria etc. but say u wash with warm soapy water,m wouldnt it then sterilise the bottle if u put them in a sink full of boiling water?
also i use formula that u make up using chilled water, so no boiling there to kill any bacteria, does that mean there is no bacteria in this formula? or does this just grow after so many hours?

as said i do sterilise and will do until i decide not to, it takes no time at all, and actually, gives somewhere to store bottles when not in use rather than them being on the side to be splashed by food :blush:

i really dont understand how things are recommended so differently to the UK to USA, why would us in the UK need to use boiling water but USA to use cool water? why would we in the UK need to sterilise but USA not?? all confusing to me x

Sterilising temps are 100C plus. The water in your sink isnt.

UK vs US I don't know but what I do know is that formula fed babies costs the NHS hundreds of thousands of pounds (illnesses related to incorrectly prepped milk) so they want to make sure babies don't get sick and cost them more there have guidelines in place.

I live in Canada and I was told to sterilize the water until four months. No mention of the bottles. I'm trying to remember what I did with my son. I think I stopped sterilizing the water around 6 months but I *think* I continued with sterilizing the bottles.

babymamma - I think different countries have different regulations because each does its own studies and perhaps their studies have come to different conclusions? :shrug: Could even be different safety standards of the water itself, the quality of the pipes/plumbing, shipping safety standards for the delivery of the bottles from the factory to the store, etc.

Our hospital no longer includes formula info with the standard info book they send home with you and baby (only has a paragraph that says "don't formula feed" :nope:) so I was looking up information on how much to feed, etc, and I couldn't even find a uniform recommendation between the Canadian provinces. It seems no one can agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->