Why do people have to tell me what to do?

LuluBee

Mummy to Alex
Reaction score
Sorry this is a bit of a rant. i've just got off the phone to my sister in law and mother in law who are both off shopping today.
My SIL wanted to know if there was anything we would like for the baby and mentioned she would like to buy him a little sleeping bag, I was really pleased and told about one that I really love in Mothercare - only to be told she refuses to buy any that aren't Grobags so if I want one I've got to choose on of those. She then went on to lecture me about what size and tog she is going to buy me and how half the things I was planning to get for my little boy would be useless :(
Then my MIL came on the phone and told me point blank that she would not be buying any baby things for us for Christmas (even though that's specifically what we asked for - and really need). We could choose things for ourselves or not get anything at all!
I've been stuck at home on bed rest for the past 3 months, and feel like I've lost enough of my freedom without having people starting to tell me what I am allowed to 'want' as presents for myself and my baby!!!!!!!

Awww thats not very nice of them dont worry yourself hun u dont want to be getting stressed just ignore them :hugs:

That's silly....the sleeping bags in Mothercare have tog ratings too. I had a couple of velour ones from there when they were on offer and I loved them:happydance:

You can get Organic Grobags in John Lewis....they cost a fortune in comparison.....take her there and see if she changes her mind:rofl: or order them online and charge her for them:dohh:

You need to get the correct size of sleeping bag....yes they will grow out of the 0-6month ones in 6 months but they are sized for safety resons....don't let her encourage you to put the baby in a bigger one as baby may snuggle inside if it's too big:dohh:

Tell em both to piss off:happydance:

Mine near went that way when I had to send my parents to get my stuff as I am not well enough to go myself. Luckily I think dad kept mum in line and they stuck to my list but they did start on me about things that they didnt need when i was a baby and why the hell was i washing the baby cloths because they never done it! and why did i get this and that for etc I bought all that myself before anyone could as i wanted what i wated not what they wanted.
i dont get to choose my pram though i left that to parents and i know it will be a dear one (believe it or not i dont want a dear one just a basic one)
As for in laws they are actually great, they have a cot bed for us and are begging to buy stuff we just have got everything we need. Cloths! i need baby cloths.

But dare i show my mum something like a swaddle blanket for i will be called stupid and that she never had one of them.

I dont know what it is but do people think when you get pregnant you automatically become some patient that suffers from dementia and cant function brain wise for youself? because thats what it looks like sometimes to me. They maybe doing it out of the good ness of their heart but no one is an exspert and should make any first time mum feel stupid or useless like that.

rant over,

People just love to pass on their opinions don't they! Even when they're not asked for!

Then my MIL came on the phone and told me point blank that she would not be buying any baby things for us for Christmas (even though that's specifically what we asked for - and really need). We could choose things for ourselves or not get anything at all!

Omg I can't believe someone said that to you, telling you what and what not you are allowed to ask for. Like you all I want for Christmas is baby things, there's nothing that I really need for myself and would rather that someone spent the money on baby and not me.

Sorry no advice hun but just :hugs: and hope you can get out and about a bit soon to enjoy some baby shopping

:rofl:I've just realised I was "telling" you what to do too in my last post:dohh:

Sorry babe:hugs::blush:

That's ok honey, I do realise about the different sizes and togs for the baby sleeping bags, I had just asked her to buy a specific one in a specific size and it annoyed me that not only wasn't I allowed the one I really wanted I was forced to have one in a size and tog that I didn't want either!
Oh well, you can't choose your family!

Thats really inconsiderate of them.
Personally i think its a great idea asking for baby stuff for christmas, it takes alot of the pressure off you, plus it saves you being over stocked on soap sets and wooly jumpers, lol, i wish id thought of that.

OMG. Yes I definitely can't think of many things I want right now, as I'm pregnant and can't enjoy any new clothes at the moment, and have pretty much all that I need. So I asked for hair stuff, like curling iron, hair dryer, etc. so I'll have them when I want to move out, so that I won't have to buy them myself.

Maybe you could ask for some scrapbooking stuff or crafting supplies to make something for baby/baby's room while you're at home? Or a giftcard for a store you could buy baby stuff at??

Oh also.. they have nice wooden picture storage boxes out here, they are decorated sort of and some spin, some are for corners, some just stand on their own.. it'd be nice to put all of your new family pictures in right?

Wow. That's awful. :hugs:

For the christmas presents, I don't know. It's kinda underhanded, but you could always ask for money or gift cards for christmas and then use them on the baby. Over here we have Mall Gift Cards, that are good for any store in the mall that they are purchased. Might be a way to get around it.

Or you could always try and reason with her, saying how you appreciate her concern with getting you things for "you" but the baby is priority right now.

If it were me, I'd be dropping some not so subtle hints about how people's actions towards me now are going to affect how I plan visits and whatnot after the baby gets here. They can powertrip over you now, but once the baby comes you'll be the one with the "power". Don't let them boss you around.

:hugs:

Oh wow. Do they not realise how risky their being, pissing off a pregnant lady!!
Blimey, I would be extremley annoyed if I were in your shoes! Why ask you what you want if there going to say there not getting it anyway!
Perhaps ask your MIL for money instead? And then you can spend that on baby items after Christmas (Just don't tell her if shes gunna get arsey)

Xxx

:hugs: How boorish and inconsiderate and downright rude of them! I think it's a great idea to ask for baby things for Christmas - and how dare your MIL tell you what you are and are not allowed to ask for??? Why did she ask you in the first place if she plans on totally disregarding your wishes?

Some people just love to butt in and offer their opinions when they are neither wanted nor needed. Try not to let them get to you hun :hugs:

Good grief! If you can't say something to your MIL and SIL, I'd get your OH to have a word - and get him to lay it on thick that they have really upset you and that is really dangerous for you and the baby as you are already on bedrest...... Then take back everything they buy for you that you dont' want and get what you DO want! As they are all xmas presents, the stores will exchange or credit note for them.

Ive also been told Im not allowed to ask for baby things for christmas from my Dad but theres actually nothing that I want for myself.

My MIL always tells me half the stuff Im going to get is useless. Theres a specific bouncer and play mat I wont. She decided they would buy the bouncer so now I wont get to choose the one I want. Which sounds selfish I know I should be grateful that they are buying us things but I would rather buy it myself if it meant I could choose it.

I don't know why some people think they can dictate what we should/shouldn't buy for our babies. I willingly accept advice (when i ask for it) but I hate people telling me what I should/shouldn't be buying.

For the people that won't buy you baby stuff ask for boots gift vouchers or gift sets from there then you can take them back after xmas and exchange them for baby stuff.

If they insist on getting stuff you don't want then sell it on ebay if you really hate it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->