Why do people wait for the cord to sop pulsing before cutting it?

I've been wondering about a lot of this as well so thank you xxx

I'm a type II diabetic and am told that because of that, my baby's risks are higher for jaundice and polycythemia because of that. I decided to contact the author/Dr/blogger of Acedemic OBGYN to see if there are any studies backing that claim because I'd love to delay at least 1 to 2 minutes. I don't however, want to cause my baby harm either. Which is why I'm reseaching if there's a difference in babies of diabetics that delay cord cutting.

I'd love for my sweet little one to get his or her full blood.

This thread has changed my mind and will probably go for a physiological 3rd stage this time :)

just from my own experience cord was cut quick with ds1,he still had jaundice ( brought on severly by an ABO reaction ) that needed light therapy for a week following birth, with ds2 the cord was allowed to stop pulsating before it was cut and he suffered no jaundice dispite it being something that nearly all children in the family on both my side and DH's side suffered from.

i know ds1 had additional factors in his jaundice but the fact that ds2 had none at all dispite us expecting it because both OH and I were jaundiced as babies leads me to believe that the cord cutting time if anything went in ds2's favor, but would have made ds1 even more sick had it not been cut right away due to his complications

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->