why do...

ryder

Mum to Jasmine & Peyton
Reaction score
Some of the foods in the uk seem to be ok to give babies and over here it says 6 months? Like... ive read people with younger then 6 month babies having custard... Or mixed veggies.... or yogurt?

And those things here are receommended for 6 months plus....

It might be because the recommended age for weaning used to be 4 months but has now changed to 6 months. xx

Yeah i think it must be something to do with that Ryder, as we have the same brands of food dont we?

Yogurts are 4 monhs on the pack, but 6 months say HV

As Toria said, a lot of foods are 4 months on the packaging but medical advice is 6 months. It's because 4 months is the minimum age they are legally allowed to advertise food for, even though healthcare professionals don't advise weaning until 6 months.

But alot of doctors in canada are reverting back to the 4 month recommendation... Some things say beginner here... some things say 6 months plus?

Okay, I got a really confusing chart in the mail.. from Heinz baby foods..

0-3 months:
breastmilk/formula

Around 6 months:
introduce iron fortified infant cereals
single-ingredient vegetables and fruits
introduce combination fruits, vegetables, juices
strained meats, meat vegetable combinations

from 8 months:
introduce junior foods - fruit, vegetables, meats

around 10-12 months:
introduce mild cheese/yogurts
introduce bread/toast

around 12-24 months:
introduce whole milk
introduce toddler cereals
introduce soft pieces of fruits and vegetables
introduce whole egg

But then my doctor tells me I should be exclusively breastfeeding for the first 6 months (did I mention I'm using formula?!) and my friends had their babies on pablum at about 4 months. I'm so confused!! :blush:

the packaging over here hasn't caught up with what the new advice is, it's all gona be changing soon apparently. the WHO recommends 6 months and thats what the UK's taken on

Wow Tasha, I see what you mean, that list really is confusing!

Here is a brief summary of the NHS recommendations in the UK:

Before 6 months
If for some reason you do decide to wean before 6 months, avoid wheat-based products, nuts, seeds, liver, eggs, fish, soft and unpastueurised cheese.

6 to 12 months
Avoid salt and sugar.
Do not give honey.
If your family has a history of allergies, avoid foods containing peanuts.
Do not give cow's milk as a drink until 12 months (but it's fine in cooking).

6 months to 5 years
All dairy products should be full-fat.
Avoid whole nuts in case of choking.

Personally I think that's much less confusing. Anything not mentioned can be introduced slowly whenever the baby is ready.

listen to whatever your doc says, not the makers of the food - afetr all they just want your money, so the earlier you shop and buy their foods the better? Maybe ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->