Why is natural birth different in the UK?

KarenMc

Reaction score
I had my first baby in the US, a natural labor that started in a birth center and then moved to a hospital due to meconium. I had absolutely no pain relief which was planned.

My second baby was just born in the UK, again with no pain relief, and also no saline, which was forced on me in the US (another story).

I guess my title reflects that every other mother I have met in the UK that had a "natural" birth experience had gas and air, which I would consider pain relief, and must affect the baby in some way.

Is it just the area I live in, or is this not viewed as a pain relief drug in the UK?

I think gas and air is pretty cool, I live in the US and we don't have that here, its either go natural or totally numb. I think they still think of it as a pain relief, but its nothing like an epidural is and doesnt have the possible effects an epiderual does on the mother, not sure about the baby though. I think its a nice option to have to take the edge off but not go into total pain relief. I wish we had it here!

Gas and air is not an analgesia...it's effect are to relax the mother so she can remain in control during labour. It doesn't remain in the body for long...30 seconds I believe u til the next inhalation...so it leaves almost immediately. There are no known effects on the baby. It is used widely by mothers who wish to have a natural birth x

I have had gas and air with all 4 of mine (i also had pethadine with my first) and I wouldnt refer to them as Natural Births for that reason. I'm Uk x

I don't see G&A as any form of pain relief actually. I took one inhalation and promptly vomited! It's more of a distraction tool IMO. In many cultures, women use teeth guards or grip ropes to get through the pain... IMO G&A is no different than that.

hospitals class it as a mild pain relief, but to be honest it makes u feel light headed a little as if ur a little drunk, but all feeling is still there its more of a gentle relaxant which lasts a few seconds i only had a little with my first i would say yes natural birth with only gas and air, but with pethadine injection epidural and other forms of medicl intervention ie epitosomy, forcepts and things i would class as not a natural birth

Gas and air has no effect on the baby and is out of the womans system with in 30ish seconds. I wouldn't say its pain relief as it doesn't take the pain away, it still hurts, it just makes you not care about the pain. You can still have a natural birth and have pain relief, that's why women have water birth and use tens machines.

uuuuuhggghjuuuyi88,k,';ll
n 1nnnh1g13zsazkki7ii9grt9gydici kkkkkkk,kkkk iii u udt;
/ytr m4hgt4f56h78o/#
o z o87r346ysw zaz........................... gf4yffcct/5ttttttttttttttttttttttt58lil7uuuuuuu7778kk99

kids fighting over keyboard!!

I suppose some see it as "natural" because it (G&A) doesn't seem to affect the birth itself in any way, unlike an epi for example.... once you have an epi you change how the birth itself moves forward. You're likely to birth in a completely different position than if you hadn't had it.... Also, G&A isn't majorly intrusive and unpleasant for the mother (like an episiotomy) and if it does have an effect that you don't like, you can just stop using it and it dissipates quickly.

I don't say I had a "natural birth" because it seems like a daft phrase to me. Firstly, birth IS "natural" and secondly because it's subjective, and means something different to everyone. You have to qualify it whenever you use it, which makes it redundant :D

I say I gave birth.....all three times...all different places (hospital, birth centre, home) with different pain relief methods varying from epidural to water and hypnobirthing.....don't box me in dude.... :winkwink: who cares what one person defines as natural?! If you define it as a positive, empowering birth then really....does it matter?

I'm from the Uk and I too find it confusing when people say they had a natural birth and then go on to say they had G&A. It is not natural to sniff gas, surely :shrug: I get the impression that it makes you feel a bit high / drunk, so therefore it is a drug, regardless of how long it stays in the system etc However, saying that I'm not sure about what the term 'natural birth' does mean. The use of essential oils, herbs, tens machine, hypnosis, water etc are also pain relieving interventions, no :wacko: Perhaps a truely natural birth is just an active vaginal birth with no intervention whatsoever :shrug:

I don't see how any could consider ANY sort of tool of pain relief is an automatic disqualification. Believe me, even women on the plains of Kenya in mud huts use various pain reliefs - whether it is herbs, smokes, ropes, teeth guards, water, etc. and women have been doing so for thousands and thousands of years. It is actually quite rare that any woman on this planet has used absolutely zero method of pain relief, that's generally reserved for those who are caught completely off guard and it's not common at all.

Ive had 3 very different births - all vaginal - 1 in hospital which i used pethidine and g&a, the other 2 at home where i used no pain relief....... as far as im concerned i had 3 births - i dont think 'natural' matters........ i am far more proud of the fact i had 2 of my children at home than i am of the fact i did it without any pain relief to be honest!!

I don't see how any could consider ANY sort of tool of pain relief is an automatic disqualification. Believe me, even women on the plains of Kenya in mud huts use various pain reliefs - whether it is herbs, smokes, ropes, teeth guards, water, etc. and women have been doing so for thousands and thousands of years. It is actually quite rare that any woman on this planet has used absolutely zero method of pain relief, that's generally reserved for those who are caught completely off guard and it's not common at all.

I totally agree. NICE rate only epidural above birth pools/water for it's pain relieving properties.....is a water birth not 'natural' because it's pain relieving?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->