Wifes waters broke only 31 wk 3 days

bumpsdad

Reaction score
Hello all, just feeling a little uneasy and sorry for my self, my wife was admitted to hospital today as her waters broke and she is only 31 weeks, it felt horrible leaving her and I have been doing some google research and it seems most likely that she will go in to labour within 48 hours of the waters breaking, this has come as a 2nd shock as the staff at the hospital (despite being great) were playing that eventuality down. Don't know what to think really.

Huge hugs. I was told when my waters broke at 28+6 that it was not likely that I would go in to but that if I was to go into labour then it would most likely be within the first 48 hours, maybe that is what you are reading? As in the risk of premature labour reduces after the first 48 hours.

It must be a horrible, worrying time as a dad to be away from his partner :hugs:

Keep us informed hun.

Lots of women with premature rupture manage to cook their babies a bit longer. Has she been given steroid injections? They do make a huge difference.

Right now the best thing you can do is walk away from google.

Relax and support her as much as possible, buy lots of magazines or books to keep her occupied, and try to keep everything going at home. It's a lot of stress not just for your wife, you guys often get forgotten about at times like these. Is there someone who could maybe give the house a hoover and dust while you are at hospital visiting? You have to keep strong, don't loose your head but ask questions calmly.

Accept the possibility that baby will be in the NICU, make plans for this, keep money for parking (if you have to pay), travelling expenses (do you have a car?), smaller sized sleepsuits and vests, meals for you (try and take in a pack up). Don't worry about having a cot etc.

Think rationally about work and money. I know that you will want to take time off, but can you afford it? Especially as you may be in for a long wait, first before baby is born (hopefully) and then after baby is born they may be in NICU for a few weeks.

Best of luck, hope the little one stays put for another few weeks.

Hello,

I know you wont be able to help yourself, But try not to worry. If her waters are broke then it will be likely that sh ewill go into labour. A friend went into labour at 27 weeks and the baby managed to keep put for a further 3 weeks. They will most probably be giving her drugs that will stop the labour. She will also be given steroids just incase the baby does decide to come now. Waters can reform in some cases so she could go full term!!

The best thing you can do is to relax and try and keep your wife stress free.

My brother who was born 8 years ago was born at 32 weeks, He weighed 5lbs and was only in hospital for 2 weeks. Im sure there is more technology readily available.

Stay Positive...!! Keep us updated x

My waters broke at 29 weeks without labour. In the end they had to go in and get Abby out as I had major bloodloss (which was entirely unconnected with the waters breaking btw - I was already in hospital for bleeding when the waters went) If that hadn't have happened Abby may well have stayed where she was for a good wee while longer.

My consultant said at the time that it is possible for the waters to be replaced either naturally or synthetically, and in fact some women can go on for weeks without waters (or with only a little) as long as they are treated to ensure there is no infection. So, you aren't necessarily going to become a dad tomorrow!

However, if you do, you should know that NNICU care is second to none. So many babies are born prematurely and even at 31 weeks, the statistics show the majority suffer few, if any ill effects. Presumably your wife has had the steroid injections for the baby's lungs. These are really effective and will help if your wee one comes out early.

Of course you feel awful having to leave her there, but she will be being taken good care of.

Thinking of the practicalities is a good idea, as Angeldust says. Have a chat with your boss tomorrow and let them know the situation and ask what they can offer you. My husband was given flexible working hours and a weeks worth of compassionate leave when I first went in to hospital. This meant he could be at the hospital regularly but also that he could take time for himself when he needed it. You also need someone to support you, do you have friends or family that you can lean on? It always falls to the dads to be strong and take it in their stride and I think people forget that the situation is just as frightening for them.

I would warn against googling too much - there is a lot of doom and gloom out there! Do enough to work out what questions you need to ask and write them down for when you go back to the hospital to see the consultant.

Also have a wee think about how prepared you are for an early arrival. There will be a period of hospital stay, but think about all those things you thought you had a couple of months to sort and make a plan about getting them in place. And ask your wife if she has applied for her Health in Pregnancy grant yet as she will lose this if she does go early!

Finally - get a good night's sleep! You'll need it!

ps, I'm sitting here thinking about you sitting there alone thinking about this and I've a huge lump in my throat. I'm thinking about my husband doing the same thing 7 months ago. Big hugs to you and please don't worry too much.

I forgot to add that I didnt go into labour, and my LO stayed inside for another eight weeks x

Angel & Foogirl speak much wisdom, particularly with regard to letting your boss know, and thinking of practicalities like visiting arrangements, is the nursery ready, you may need smaller clothes etc.

I'm the world's worst googler, but I really do advise you to step away and listen to what the hospital doctors are saying rather than looking things up yourself. Remember that people don't tend to proclaim good things on tinternet (except for B&B!), only the bad things.

hi bumpsdad

As everyone has already mentioned, breaking waters does not have to mean imminent birth :hugs: your wife and baby will be well cared for, I agree that daddy's are always expected to pick up the slack and be superman and their anxieties and feelings often pushed aside, take some time for yourself to gather your thoughts and (althought it will be hard) try and get some rest and eat properly you will need your strenght for the road ahead (whether baby comes early or not)

NICU staff are truly amazing and your baby and wife are in excellent care, finally a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS ON BECOMING A DADDY xx

Totally agree with the other Mummies too. Good luck hun xxx

I dont have much to add as the others have passed on all the wisdom in the world! Definately walk away from google, and Congratulations in advance! :hugs:

Wow WHAT a surreal 48 hours.

Baby William was born by emergency (understatement!) C-section at 1:00 pm 07/12/09, weighing in at a mighty 3lbs 7oz. Mother and baby are as well as can be expected, which is actually amazingly well, apart from us all being in shock and in quite a state of
disbelief (someone pinch me) :)

Congrats!! Praying for you and your family that all stays well.

:happydance: WOW congrats daddy, baby William looks a wee cracker and such a fantastic weight for his gestation :thumbup: Although you both might not see it now but just think - you have an extra xmas with William you would not have had before.

Keep us updated on his progress and wishing mummy and baby William a speedy recovery xx

Wow WHAT a surreal 48 hours.

Baby William was born by emergency (understatement!) C-section at 1:00 pm 07/12/09, weighing in at a mighty 3lbs 7oz. Mother and baby are as well as can be expected, which is actually amazingly well, apart from us all being in shock and in quite a state of
disbelief (someone pinch me) :)

Congratulations!

What a great weight. Abby was 3lbs 7 at birth. She initially lost a few ounces but continued to bang the weight on, an ounce a day and was home in 6 and a half weeks.

So you've now begun the NNICU journey, it will be full of ups and downs, an emotional rollercoster the likes of which you've never experienced. It was scary, but there were so many moments of joy that full term parents never get to experience.

If you have any questions at all, please lean on the ladies here for advice. Someone will have the answer for you.

Keep us updated on how William (and your wife) are doing.

I second all the words of wisdom given above...if it helps, I met a lady in my first NICU unit who's waters broke at 19 weeks and she managed to hold onto her baby until 33 weeks, a baby can survive in the womb without it's waters, I never knew that and thought it was incredible, they gave the baby a drug which the name escapes me, I will have to read my diary and see if it is in there. Their baby was born healthy, he just needed a little help with his breathing.

Good luck and keep us updated...x

Thanks for all your kind words. I'm elated/petrified/worried/angry/happy/scared! Hardest thing is that I sleep at home, and Wife and William are on there own in different wards, seems so sad that he had to spend his 1st night all on his own without any cuddles from us. I got to see him yesterday but wifey only saw him for 20 seconds in the delivery theatre after c-section. But she's expressing milk well and she is desperate to see him, so that is a good sign.

I'm off to hospital now, will post again soon as my obliterated brain will allow. :)

hes gorgeous, congratulations, hope hes home soon xxxx

Awww, congratulations! He is doing well if he is that weight! Has he had a taste of mummies booby juice yet?

congratulations on the birth of your son, he is so handsome. Enjoy being a daddy, and I cant wait to see more pictures.

Congratulations! What a super weight!!! Hope you and your wife have had lots of time with your darling wee boy today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->