Will I be able to feed him things like...

Tsia

My MyloMan - he turned 1!
Reaction score
Just a query.... am doing BLW cos he isnt one for being given pastes and purees.. he just spits them out if theyre the slightest bit too runny! lol

so....

just a thought..

Will I be able to feed him things like...

Mushy peas? (we have this with some meals)
potato and leek soup (my speciality but I add butter to it)
mashed potato and mince or a shepherds pie (like when I make one for the family)
my irish stew (complete with leeks and poatoes and veg and everything chucked in basically)

even though I bought a few jars of baby stage 1 food.. like fishermans pie bake flavour and my first spaghetti flavour.. plus I have a few pots of apple and pear puree etc.. cos of no go on feeding and chosen to BLW.. is it ok to dip toast/bread fingers into this stuff for him?

your comments please? :thumbup:

DOnt wanna bombard him little digestive system too early.

(also want to start introducing fruit slices and maybe weetabix for brekkys)

(should say I have been giving him fruity porridge, at 2 spoons at a time when i can) but he aint keen at being fed AT ALL!!!
Lord why did you send me a difficult baby????????? grrrrrr

Are you waiting til 6 months or starting sooner? If you wait til 6 months there is very little he can't have, all that stuff you listed is fine.

Do you buy the mushy peas or make them? If you buy them check that they have no salt or other stuff in.

Weetabix it's good idea to leave til 6 months as wheat and gluten shouldn't be given before then. Some people leave til longer, but shouldn't be an issue if there are no allergies in your family.

It's fine to dip things into the jars you have, you can also spread them onto rice cakes.

Things like stew and shepherds pie are great as long as you cook with no salt.

:)

Personally, at the age ur LO is i'd start with sticks of roasted or steamed veg, salad, fruit etc but once ur at 6 months u can offer anything ur eating as long as its not got added salt (or at least not much added salt...lots of things inc bread have salt so its hard to avoid but keep it to a min) and not full of sugar etc.

Everything u listed sounds fine past 6 months (and things like leek and potato soup is prob ok earlier if its just veg and a bit of butter- do u use stock cubes? coz they're quite salty so some people either buy baby stock cubes or make stock themselves)
As far as i know butter isn't a prob. Full fat things r good for babies. unlike us they need full fat versions of stuff.

just to give u a rough guide: i 'sort of' started at 5 months. Kian sat with us at meal times from abt 4 months but he never had food then. He would play with a spoon and some toy food. He sat with us so he could learn from watching us.
At just gone 5 months he nicked a green bean off my plate and i gave him a piece of apple a few days later but i didn't really feel comfortable offering him things just yet so went back to the spoon and toys. i went for the approach of letting him have something if he was trying to grab it/ 'asking' for it and it was ok 4 him to have (which has only really happened a could of times).

For the last week i've been offering him things- at first it was just once a day but for the last coupleof days its been everytime we eat (coz he's 6 months in a week and a half so i feel more comfortable now). He's had some carrot, some plum, some strawberry, some roasted aubergine, some turkey, some peppers, some baby cereal (which he didn't really eat- he mostly just rubbed all over his face), some roasted red onion, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and some of this natural baby yogart stuff which has no added sugars, quorn and some bread (i know gluten/ wheat isn't meant to b given til 6 months but i don't think on the day he turns 6 months his stomach will change, i think its a gradual developement and he's very nearly at the 6 month point so i think its probably ok...plus he doesn't really eat it! he just bangs it on the table and squashes it up!)
I feed him his bottles whenever he wants them and i usually try and time it so he has a bottle before we sit down for a meal so he's not hungry when he's offered solids (because they don't understant that solids will them up yet, if they're hungry when u offer it they'll just get angry)

2day we're having stew and i've made sure theres no added salt in it. (i make salt free stock by just boiling up some veg, bay leaves and/or left over bones from a roast for a few hours and use the water- i usually freeze whatever i don't need so i can use it next time)
i'm going to let him have a bit of bread (which i've made so its not got all that added salt) with a little bowl of stew which will most prob just be the veg and a tiny bit of juice (which will no doubt end up everywhere!). i cut one bit of beef in a strip shape for him to have too.

If ur worried abt what u can and cant offer try posting in the BLW sticky thread at the top of the page...thats the sort of thing everyone discusses in there so they'll b able to help.

oh also nearly 4got...i've heard someone say weatabix gave their LO a rash so dunno if its a bit dodgy to feed at first? i've been giving LO some baby cereal and a spoon for the last few days. i don't feed him. i let him play with it. He usually makes a huge mess and doesn't eat much but its all good practice. Also if u offer things like porridge u can make them much thicker so they r 'grab-able' or u can offer LO a loaded spoon for him to put in his mouth himself (i've done this with Kian but he mostly just bangs the spoon around and makes the stuff on it go up the wall! lol)

yeah thanks all that sounds good.. no not started yet.. but will do at 6 months.

One question.. u mention turkey and strip of beef etc,,,, but they have no teeth and meat doesnt go mushy so would they not choke on this?

no mostly they suck on it...most meats if cooked well (especially if cooked in stew etc) tend to b flake so they break into small bits. You'll b surprised how well babies with no teeth can break food up! Kian 'chews' things with his gums and just keeps spitting it back out then putting it back in until its small enough :p

In the BLW book it says that the juices are where the nutrition is in meat, so letting them chew and suck is just as good as full blown 'eating'.

Good Luck :thumbup:

leyla was eating beef / chicken / fish long ebfore she got her teeth, she only has 4 now and shes gotten all of them pretty much in the last few months lol

butter is fine so long as its unsalted so the soup would be fine but make sure you put unsalted butter in then season yours at the table if you need to, agree with the baby stock, you can get it in boots and its really low salt, ive looked in the supermarkets and i cant find one thats even close to the boots one so id stick with those

if youre doing BLW i would personally hold off on the shepherd pie just because the mince is so small and he will have trouble picking it up, mind you saying that there is only one way he is gna learn so maybe just give him some easy to hold veggies aswell and let him try it...

i dont know about mushy peas, ive not given leyla them yet but i cant see why, so long as you check the ingredients and they are not full of crap

irish stew will be ok, leyla has that all the time and its one of her fave meals :D

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->