Will pumping make things worse??

baby1wanted

Reaction score
Hi All, first time mum here just looking for a bit of advice :flower:

I am exclusively breastfeeding since my little man was born just over a week ago. He is tending to sleep for long periods in between feeds, 3 hours during the day and sometimes 5 hours at night. I don't have any concerns as to whether he is getting enough as he is gaining weight well.
But I spend a long portion of the day with my breasts uncomfortably full of milk and leaking loads.

I don't have a pump at present. I have done some hand expressing in the bath when my breasts have been really sore which has helped a bit. I was wondering if it was worth getting a pump and pumping off some of the excess milk. Or will that make my body think that I need to produce more milk and just make the situation worse? Should I just instead wait things to come down naturally?

Yes Hun pumping this early will confuse your system and make it worse in the long term. Xx

It should settle down pretty soon.

Hand expressing a tiny bit and hot compresses should help until then.

On the bright side sounds like you have a wonderful supply and you and baby are doing great so far. Xxx

Thank you! I suspected that might be the case. Didn't think of the hot compresses so will give that a go.
And yes it's definitely a better problem than not having enough milk!
Thanks again :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->