will spd prevent a home birth?

forget me not

Reaction score
Hiya ladies, this is my first time in this section. I have 3 beautiful children all born in hospital For my 4th I would like a home birth. My midwives are very supportive of this but said they cannot give a definate yes or no until later in the pregnancy in case of breech bay etc.
I had spd with my last 2 babies and the midwife said if it develops again this time it will depend on how severe it is as to wether I can home birth. Sadly it's reared it's ugly head and I am on cruthes for part of the day. Have any of you ladies had a successful homebirth with spd? I'd like to have some positive case stories to show the midwife if I come up against any resistance.
Thank you xx

I have no experience, but didn't want to read and run...

good luck x

I've never seen it be used as a contraindication for home birth.... but different midwives who trained in different places practice differently.

I had spd last pregnancy and it's started up again this time - no issues with a home birth either time. Last time one midwife actually said there was an argument for home birth as I would be likely to use less pain medication so wouldn't risk over extending by mistake and doing myself more damage. She told me of a couple of cases where women with SPD had had epidurals in hospital and had ended up in stirrups but because they were numb they couldn't feel that damage was being done.

I wouldn't have fancied the trip to hospital in labour either. I was able to stay where I was most comfortable. I used a pool as well which is also fine as long as you have sufficient support to help you in and out. (I had my sister and cousin with me as well as DP and the midwife.) I knew to be careful about what positions I chose and ended up giving birth on my knees over the sofa which meant my pelvis wasn't stretched at all - birthing on hands and knees is one of the best positions for women with SPD but you probably know that already. :) For me, I just instinctively got into the position when I felt her moving down and it all went swimmingly.

At the end of the day you've had this before. You know the limitations it puts on your body and how to work with them. Birth location should make no difference as long as your care providers are aware of your situation and how to support you appropriately.

Good luck!

Gina.

I would imagine at home they'd be more likely to respect your special needs in terms of SPD. I had it severely in my first pregnancy and they forced me to try and push with my feet on the midwives shoulders, something which is very old fashioned and a no-no with SPD, but they just wouldn't listen, they also put me in stirrups right at the end. I was extremely blessed that no long term damage resulted. Maybe some midwives don't feel they are trained enough to deal with SPD but surely it would be the same at home or hospital.

Hi - I never had my planned home birth due to my baby being induced post dates but I also suffered with severe spd and my mdwifes totally supported a home birth.

It is recommended to birth at home on so many levels
-its easier to get around and be more active in one's own home - I was on crutches fulltime since week 16 pregnant but could potter around my own home , shuffling and furniture walking etc.
- I bought my own pool -highly recommended for spd sufferers too- the water is great for getting into optimal positions for birthing and also for pain relief; you cant always be guaranteed to get the use of a pool in hospital or mw unit.
-post birth I was looking forward to having my hubby there 24/7 to help me with the baby, as I anticipated being imobile for the initial period.

As I stated, I never got my home birth but only because my baby was 14 days overdue. I dont know how things would have gone at home, had I laboured naturally and not been induced but all the evidence I read prior to the birth led me to believe that it would be positive. My hospital birth was anything but positive, with my wee guy going into fetal distress, requiring forceps delivery, passing meconium and needing resuscitated and then me having to spend the night in the ward due to my baby being monitored by the paediatricians -he was and is okay and that's all that matters really but I am kind of disappointed still at not getting my home delivery and still wonder if things would have been more straight forward at home,.... but then again ALL could have gone horribly wrong so half of me is glad we were in hospital (in hindsight of all going wrong) and the other half sure that if we had been at home labouring naturally then the events would never have occurred anyway and all interventions would have been avoided.

That was a bit of a ramble sorry!!!! Dont know if it helped at all!!

xx Good Luck !! xx

I am a mum of 4 and expecting number 5. I suffered from spd in my 4th pregnancy and still had a home birth. I have had 3 home births now and I would recommend having a home birth as it is wonderful to please yourself at home and have control of the situation. I am hoping to have another home birth (crossing my fingers). Good luck to you all mums 2 be and all mums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->