Will you keep sick childen away from your newborn?

unknown87649

Reaction score
The title says it all really, obviously not your own children, but neices, nephews etc. My nephew is a toddler in nursery and he's got quite a nasty cold and cough, am I justified in keeping him away from the baby? (I'm having a c section this week) or am I being ott?

Absolutely not OTT! Its standard practice to do so. Whenever there is a newborn its generally common sense for anyone who is sick to stay away until they are better, and for people to keep their sick children away.

Definitely not!! (as in you're definitely not being OTT!) The last thing you want is for your baby to get ill straight away. I'd say it's a given, if you or your child is ill, no visits! My stepmum had a cold when I had my baby and she had to stay away for 4 days which was like torture, but it was understandable! At first she was asking to come 2 days after "if she was better by then" and I had to tell her she has to be better for a couple of days before she sees her 'cause she could still pass it to her. It felt mean but I had to do it! I actually ended up catching a cold the day after I had her, which I then passed on to my OH who is ill now..! But there's obviously nothing you can do about that. If it's someone you can avoid, then definitely do!

Not OTT at all. I would probably still meet with sick people / children (cough, cold type bug) but would be in a public environment like a park or cafe. I certainly wouldn't want them in my house while they are still contagious as germs spread very easily this way.

Why would anyone want to inflict a cold and cough on a newborn baffles me. Surely you'd think, "ey up. I feel like crap, imagine how a woman who's just given birth and is caring for a newborn would feel". Nevermind how the baby would cope.

I avoid everyone who is ill anyway, a cold could kill my nanna and I'd rather avoid poorly people I've got tons of years to see, than pick up a cold and miss out on time with my nanna when she hasn't much left.

Not OTT at all, I won't be letting any ill people visit until they are better!

I avoid people that are sick now, I can only imagine how crazy I'll be once LO is here. Honestly it's rude that people with colds and flus still go around to see people, let's share the misery. :nope:

Not ott at all, taking a poorly newborn out of it you don't want to be ill after a c section. I had one 2 weeks ago and it can be painful enough without a cough added to it.

100% yes I would never let a sick child near any newborn.x

I won't let my daughter go around any children I know are sick now! There was a girl hacking and coughing in our church nursery last week and I was already prepared to keep my daughter with me whole service. Thankfully the head nursery worker heard her and went and got her parents to pull her out. So irresponsible!!! I'm a bit paranoid in general about illnesses even colds. Why inflict it on your family when you can choose not to IMO? And why not be thoughtful of others and keep your sick children at home? It's something that frustrates me so much.

I agree with u I won't be letting sick children around my new born. At the moment I stay away from anyone sick I don't wanna get I'll on top of being pregnant.

completely justifiable. I'm slightly OCD when it comes to germs, and it only got worse when I became pregnant. So if anyone is sick, they aren't allowed around my lo until they get better.

I wouldn't want my newborn around poorly children/people. I even try and keep my three year old away from poorly children.

It's totally normal, your certainly not been OTT.

I would say 100% a few years ago, now I don't think if be so bothered since on number two as my toddler has a nasty cold now and I'm due anyday and can't keep him away from her. But I'd rather other people germs stay away really if I had a choice. I guess it also depends if your breast feeding as this boosts their immune system with your antibodies to help fight bugs. But I don't think your OTT x

I try and keep my 6 month old away from sick kiddos so definitely would keep a NB away! And people understand and typically won't bring their kids around out of consideration to you and baby.

I won't let my daughter go around any children I know are sick now! There was a girl hacking and coughing in our church nursery last week and I was already prepared to keep my daughter with me whole service. Thankfully the head nursery worker heard her and went and got her parents to pull her out. So irresponsible!!! I'm a bit paranoid in general about illnesses even colds. Why inflict it on your family when you can choose not to IMO? And why not be thoughtful of others and keep your sick children at home? It's something that frustrates me so much.

Just wanted to comment on this one - my daughter often does this but we still take her out. The reason being we have no idea whats causing the cough - she's had it since April! Been checked by Drs multiple times, no infection etc, so what can we do??

That said, if its a known infection then no, we dont take her out and I wouldn't dream of having a sick child around a newborn.

eblieve personal choice but mosr people i believe who visit newborns wont go when ill. I had similarish situation a woman had given birth on a tues an a todler groups on thurs she took her 2ish day old for last wee while, an the following thurs my 2 had runny noses etc an i was like do i take then as theres a few lil babies ie 3 under 1month, but if the mum didnt want kid havin colds then shouldnt have taken it. We ccant wrap them in cotton wool they get colds etc its how they build an imune system. Am still debating wether take my bub to it after birth for week or 2 before xxmas (may also run through tht hols as it is the oct ones.my oh had severe chest infec when youngest born he had been on 2 courses antibiotics, my son 1 at time also had go gp day i had no2 an we didnt take him hosp when we were in as he had viral temp etc.(gran had take him as id had no2 6.28am an he had docs 10am lol. luckly when got home nxt day my newborn didnt catch it.

My 2year old currently has a very nasty cough and cold and I'm 31 weeks pregnant so hoping not to catch it!, she caught this off my cousins children who decided to come and spread their germs with us in saying 'oh that's what children do' in respect to them being unwell and passing on their germs. I think it's totally out of order.x

Just wanted to comment on this one - my daughter often does this but we still take her out. The reason being we have no idea whats causing the cough - she's had it since April! Been checked by Drs multiple times, no infection etc, so what can we do??

That said, if its a known infection then no, we dont take her out and I wouldn't dream of having a sick child around a newborn.

could it be early asthma hun. My 21month old has pos early asthma an tends wheeze and cough (i call it pathetic cough as its not full blown cough just a heh heh) if i stopped takin mine out due runny nose etc id never be out house lol. But i hate takin mine places with full blown colds etc, an deffo dont take them if vomitin. My asthma one has had alot colds an boughts broncitis an i was back a fro docs her first year every 2weeks she was vomity due severe reflux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->