Will you keep sick childen away from your newborn?

When I had DS a friend came to visit me with a cold and said 'don't worry I won't give it to him'... Talk about making my blood boil. I was fit to kill him. Then DS was taken to be examined by a pedeatrician who was dying with a cold... I understand people need to work but it's really not fair to expose babies to these things.

I won't let my daughter go around any children I know are sick now! There was a girl hacking and coughing in our church nursery last week and I was already prepared to keep my daughter with me whole service. Thankfully the head nursery worker heard her and went and got her parents to pull her out. So irresponsible!!! I'm a bit paranoid in general about illnesses even colds. Why inflict it on your family when you can choose not to IMO? And why not be thoughtful of others and keep your sick children at home? It's something that frustrates me so much.

Just wanted to comment on this one - my daughter often does this but we still take her out. The reason being we have no idea whats causing the cough - she's had it since April! Been checked by Drs multiple times, no infection etc, so what can we do??

That said, if its a known infection then no, we dont take her out and I wouldn't dream of having a sick child around a newborn.

could it be early asthma hun. My 21month old has pos early asthma an tends wheeze and cough (i call it pathetic cough as its not full blown cough just a heh heh) if i stopped takin mine out due runny nose etc id never be out house lol. But i hate takin mine places with full blown colds etc, an deffo dont take them if vomitin. My asthma one has had alot colds an boughts broncitis an i was back a fro docs her first year every 2weeks she was vomity due severe reflux.

They have suggested possible Asthma but won't diagnose it in under 2s.

I do agree about not taking them out with full blown colds and even with a runny nose etc I wouldn't take her to meet a newborn. I just get a bit defensive when people give me filthy looks when Emilia coughs as if I'm bringing out a dying child just to infect theres!

It's the right thing to do to keep sick children away from your newborn... When my LO was born, I even made my OWN daughters take a second shower right after arriving from school! I didn't want whatever germs were floating around on them from other children anywhere near my newborn! That being said, when this little guy is born, I will most likely do the same and also, I will be celebrating thanksgiving early because if my little guy is here by that time, I don't want family members bringing their small toddlers with runny noses and dirty hands over around MY newborn! So I wouldn't feel bad at all!!

My 2year old currently has a very nasty cough and cold and I'm 31 weeks pregnant so hoping not to catch it!, she caught this off my cousins children who decided to come and spread their germs with us in saying 'oh that's what children do' in respect to them being unwell and passing on their germs. I think it's totally out of order.x

Honestly, I think it's different when living with someone with a cold, you don't ALWAYS catch their colds... Since you're already all breathing the same air and what not.. I always feel that it's different then when people BRING their colds in for the visit that you're more susceptible to catching what they have...

I won't let my daughter go around any children I know are sick now! There was a girl hacking and coughing in our church nursery last week and I was already prepared to keep my daughter with me whole service. Thankfully the head nursery worker heard her and went and got her parents to pull her out. So irresponsible!!! I'm a bit paranoid in general about illnesses even colds. Why inflict it on your family when you can choose not to IMO? And why not be thoughtful of others and keep your sick children at home? It's something that frustrates me so much.

Just wanted to comment on this one - my daughter often does this but we still take her out. The reason being we have no idea whats causing the cough - she's had it since April! Been checked by Drs multiple times, no infection etc, so what can we do??

That said, if its a known infection then no, we dont take her out and I wouldn't dream of having a sick child around a newborn.

could it be early asthma hun. My 21month old has pos early asthma an tends wheeze and cough (i call it pathetic cough as its not full blown cough just a heh heh) if i stopped takin mine out due runny nose etc id never be out house lol. But i hate takin mine places with full blown colds etc, an deffo dont take them if vomitin. My asthma one has had alot colds an boughts broncitis an i was back a fro docs her first year every 2weeks she was vomity due severe reflux.

You know what? I've never thought of this! Thank you! My 12 year old has this cough that won't go away! Seems like she's been sick for a long time.. But she's always having that cough...no mucous or phlem, no runny nose...just a deep cough that doesn't seem to bring anything up...it's dry... I'm definitkey going to run it by her dr.. Thanks for the tip!

I plan on not letting sick people around my newborn and I plan on not taking her out for almost a month as she will be born in the peak of flu season here. I will quarantine my own children if I have too! Lol! And by that I mean in their rooms with their toys and gaming systems if they happen to be home from school sick. I teach so my boys don't miss unless there is a fever involved.
that being said, I am in houseful of people (3boys) who each just finished getting over the flu and one now has a viral infection on top of that. I (knock on wood) have not been sick yet except for minor sinus problems. I hope that me being closed to so many different types of illnesses while pregnant will give my lo quite a few natural antibodies from me. I know its impossible to keep everything away but I will try my best to let baby have up to 6weeks to adjust and build up antibodies (from breastmilk and me and any early vaccines required)
people (especially adults and children NOT In my household) who seem to be sick will not hold or get near my daughter. Call me over protective but that is my right and job as an parent

I was about 8 years old when my brother was born, and I was sick.
I was not allowed anywhere near him. I think I first touched him only when he was about 1 month old. Just because I was never told afterwards when it was OK to hold him.
I remember it was a HORRIBLE feeling.

As for other children, I would stay away from them, or ask the parents to come another time. As for the hospital, I'm going to ask for no kids to come at all. All my nieces and nephews are very loud :/

I was about 8 years old when my brother was born, and I was sick.
I was not allowed anywhere near him. I think I first touched him only when he was about 1 month old. Just because I was never told afterwards when it was OK to hold him.
I remember it was a HORRIBLE feeling.

As for other children, I would stay away from them, or ask the parents to come another time. As for the hospital, I'm going to ask for no kids to come at all. All my nieces and nephews are very loud :/

As now it's flu season over here, NO KIDS under 16 are allowed in the maternity ward...not even siblings...

Not only to protect newborn, but protect yourself! I somehow picked up a cold when LO was a month and sure enough I passed it along to her. I felt so bad! Luckily she just had a slight cough and stuffy nose.

Dd was born during the winter and I had 2 pediatricians tell me not to take her out or have her around other children for 3 months. They both said that babies that age don't do well if they get sick and it's not worth the risk. I think that us common for my area because none of my friends allowed children near the baby (except siblings) for the first few months. Some probably think its extreme, but I honestly don't care. I'd rather be safe than sorry and will be telling people that I'm sorry but I'm following the advice of the pediatrician!

We'll still be in cold and flu season when my little guy is born, and I intend to be very careful for his first few months. I do believe that kids should be exposed to mild illnesses to build their immune systems, but I don't extend that to newborns. So, at a minimum until he gets his immunizations, no sick people, and if anyone wants to hold him they need to wash their hands. I still make sure to message my SIL before I get together with her and my year old nephew if I suspect I may have caught anything, too (it can be hard to tell because I have allergies and some other issues that lead to constant non-contagious sniffles). You'd have to be mighty self centered or phenomenally stupid to knowingly expose a tiny newborn to sickness.

not OTT at all i absolutely HATE when people bring sick children into your home. My sister is REALLY bad for doing it and doesnt tell us that they have been/are ill until shes been here for a while even though she knows my eldest son is extremely susceptible to any illnesses and they always hit him really hard. I wont be allowing anybody around my newborn if they are ill and no strangers etc will be allowed to touch him. I plan on getting something for the pram so that people cant just lean in and touch him like they did with ds2.

I already have a sick people ban in my home due to it being flu and Gastro season. Even if they have only the slightest sniffle they know not to come near us or ill go mad. Iv kept ds1 off nursery today because both boys have had horrible horrible colds over the weeked (ds2 is still suffering) and i dont want to pass it onto the other children in the nursery. And the nursery have been told that if any child attending the nursery is really ill then they have to call me straight away to go and get my son. Im due the start of January and that is roughly the time my eldest normally falls down with Gastro... every year so far hes been to hospital with it and i am hoping against hope to avoid it at all costs this year.

I honestly think people who take their obviously ill children places are rude and ignorant. (unless they know the cause is nothing to do with a contagious illness... i.e my son gets diorrhea a lot but thats nothing to do with bugs). Why you would want to purposefully spread your childs illness around is beyond me. Yes some people might think "oh they need to get ill to help their immune system grow" BUT how about thinking that they might not be the only children at home OR that what you perceive to be a minor illness can completely floor another child. There are a lot of children out there like my eldest son whos bodies struggle to deal with bugs and they suffer badly each time. xx

Yeah, the "kids should be exposed to build their immune system" theory only applies to your own kids. Never to anybody else's! Depending on his constitution, I may not go overboard protecting Teddy from germs once he's a little older, but no way am I going to make that decision about other kids when Teddy is the sick one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->