Winter maternity clothing essentials?

Stellae

Reaction score
I live in Michigan, and the last few winters it's been 25°F for the high, 5°F and below for the low (roughly -5°C to -15°C), with tons of snow! I know I want a few pairs of fleece-lined maternity leggings (if they exist), and lots of comfy flannel tartan tops... but what other essentials are you winter due-date ladies looking to buy/already have stocked?

I'll officially be here in second trimester in about 2 weeks :)!

Luckily a lot of your winter essentials are one size fits all... Hat, scarf, gloves, winter boots, fuzzy socks, etc. I've been meaning to pick up some long underwear for a couple of years, but haven't done it yet. Not sure about other things, but I've been looking at those kangaroo hoodies for keeping baby close and warm, but it doubles as maternity jacket before baby is born. I'll see if I can find a link...

By the way, I LOVE your avatar!!

Here's a picture of the awesome, versatile coat I was talking about! A little on the expensive side, but worth it! :thumbup:

Attachments

• il_570xN.691230207_5byj.jpg
    il_570xN.691230207_5byj.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 23
I'm in Minnesota, cheers to bitterly cold midwest winters! I would suggest getting a nice maternity coat and go a size or two up so you can fit bulky sweaters underneath.

I'll have delivered before it gets too cold but I've been stalking ebay for maternity sweaters and coats as well. Ebay is full of women who were super excited and went out and bought entire maternity wardrobes and then only wore things a couple times and are now selling them for pennies on the dollar. I've managed to snatch up a bunch of sweaters to get me through fall for really cheap, I'd suggest you look into that if you're cool with secondhand clothing.

I am due in January and plan to live in leggings, ugg-type boots (cheapies because I am cheap, haha), and oversize sweaters! Also cardigans with belts and tank tops. - I tend to be on the warm side all the time so I need to be able to air out!

I live in Canada and it gets to -40 here so I will have to find a big maternity winter jacket, hoping I don't have to spend a fortune.

I'm going to hope someone bigger than me has an extra winter coat I can borrow for a couple months because I'm not going to invest in one. If needed, I'll wear my coat open with a sweater and scarf and mits and just hurry from the house to the car, car to work, etc. lol.

For day-to-day clothing, at least being inside makes things easier but I'll need to get a couple long-sleeved shirts that fit my belly for sure.

I'm going to hope someone bigger than me has an extra winter coat I can borrow for a couple months because I'm not going to invest in one. If needed, I'll wear my coat open with a sweater and scarf and mits and just hurry from the house to the car, car to work, etc. lol.

For day-to-day clothing, at least being inside makes things easier but I'll need to get a couple long-sleeved shirts that fit my belly for sure.

With my son, I had him in November, and that's what I did with my coat. Just wore a sweater and wore my coat open to dash inside or to the car. It gets cold here, but not as cold as up north. I had wanted to avoid investing in a maternity coat for just a couple months. However, when it started to get pretty cold, I really wished for a coat that actually fit, then I still had too much of a belly (and huge boobs from nursing) after giving birth that I would have been able to the new coat all winter- I couldn't close my old coat around me even the next winter bc I was still nursing and my chest was too big... it really would have come in handy more than I'd thought!

I'm going to need to buy a lot of winter clothing... I'm in Canada where it typically gets to -30 or -40C. And I only have one pair of long pants that still fit me. So I will have to invest in lots of maternity pants, or yoga pants and leggings to wear underneath them. I may also need to buy a maternity jacket.

I live in NY and will be buying lots of sweater dresses. Keeps you comfy and warm at the same time:)

I'm not pregnant but was last winter and typically I wore...

- Long vest for bump coverage
- Long sleeved top or/and maternity jumper.
- Big thick furry coat I bought about 3 sizes too big to fit over my massive bump.
- I'd sometimes double up my maternity leggings.
- Ugg boots! They're easy to get on your feet and will still fit if they swell.

Aww I miss my big cosy bump!

I luckily have a coat that's empire waist already that I know will work, but I definitely need some cold-weather appropriate wardrobe staples. I think as long as I have some long tops that'll cover my tush, the leggings, some comfy skinny work pants, and some long dresses I'll be good. I'm obsessed with the maternity clothes DIYs at the blog Cotton + Curls, I might give one of those a try!

Luckily I wear scrubs to work, so I don't have to invest in much maternity clothes. I am due early December and will just be living in my husband's t-shirts and hoodies until the baby is born, and will wear my jacket open with a scarf. Seems like a huge waste of money to buy clothes for just a month or two. I already have a pair of fleece lined leggings that I never really wear because the waist is really baggy, so they will be perfect maternity leggings.

As funny as it may sound I'm almost a little sad that it won't be very cold here by the time I have this baby because I love wearing cozy sweaters with a skirt leggings and boots. Personally all my babies have been winter babies, this one is going to be an early fall baby, maybe it's because I'm short but I've never really had to buy a lot of maternity clothes period...a lot of sweaters ar plenty long enough and even stretchy enough to where I don't even have to buy a size up although it wouldn't hurt seeing as how depending on when you have the baby, you'll have a little extra room since you won't be back to prebaby weight right away ;)

Man really you guys? I'm already in maternity pants!! There's no way I could avoid them! I'm 5'7 and weighed 120 when I got pregnant, so I show quick, maybe that's it? I'm going to do mostly second hand again, it makes no sense buying maternity clothes new.

Not second tri yet, but I was able to get a like new wool winter coat for $15 at a consignment store and my husband has lots of sweatshirts/pants that will become mine. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm lucky I don't need a lot of nicer work clothes. I just want to be prepared as we have a -25windchill during winter that past couple years.

I'm from Michigan myself and after the last two years....be prepared with cozy clothes! Lol. That being said, my nonpregnant self loves tunic style sweaters, so I'm hoping they and leggings will get me through to the end of November.

Man really you guys? I'm already in maternity pants!! There's no way I could avoid them! I'm 5'7 and weighed 120 when I got pregnant, so I show quick, maybe that's it? I'm going to do mostly second hand again, it makes no sense buying maternity clothes new.

I've already switched to exclusively maternity bottoms now, too, had to go buy some maternity jeans since I didn't really need them with my other pregnancy (born in fall). Even decided I need to start wearing maternity tops, too, bc I just look like I have an exceedingly chubby tummy in my normal tops!

I found fleece-lined leggings at Pinkblushmaternity.com and they are AMAZING! At first I was worried that they would look like fleece on the outside too, but it's just the inside. There are several colors, and they are SOOO comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->