Wish I could stick up for myself!!

sassymrsbee

Reaction score
I hate, absolutely HATE having people touch my belly!! It's not thier body, its not thier baby, they have no right! The only person I am comfortable with touching me is my husband, and that's because it would be normal for him to touch me when I'm not pregnant! I don't like my mother touching me or even my stepdaughter, but I can tolerate them because they are actually related to the baby inside my belly. But having complete strangers, such as the weird lady who works with my mother in law, touching my belly, I can't stand it!! The problem is, I can't seem to find the guts to tell people to back off, not even politely! So I just sit there completely uncomfortable and deal with it.
The way I see it, there are quite a few layers of skin, fat, muscle and tissue between my baby and what they are touching. So they are not actually feeling the baby, they are just touching me and its WEIRD!!!!
Thanks for letting me rant, at least I have less than 4 weeks left!

I totally understand. MIL and her sister are always trying to touch my belly and we aren't even close. Pretty much keeping it civil and that's it. And they don't even ask! Not that id have the guts to say no, but at least its polite.

I usually just awkwardly walk/ turn away. Kind of works.

I hate the fact people want to touch my baby/bump when they wouldn't normally touch me. It's so invasive & rude. But I never say anything either!!

Ohh I am dreading seeing MIL when I go home next week, I know she will have her hands all over my tummy! Haven't seen her for about a year because we live interstate. Yuck, yuck, yuck!!

My MIL is a very touchy feely person and I hate it! When we first found out she kept touching me..... This is when there was no bump at all! And when my bump started coming in she was touching WAY too low!!!!! Like you know that area where it's not exactly your privates but its too low for anyone but hubby to be touching..... Yeah that spot!!!
The last time we saw her I had my big dressing gown on, I opened it to show her my bump but when she was near I 'hugged' my bump the whole time.
It's completely normal to see a pregnant woman with both arms wrapped around their bump so people think its our subconscious and not "my arms are here so you can't touch" when it actually is that! :haha:

I have a very very sensitive linea nigra and if people touch my bump I flinch as it hurts, esp around my belly button. Even when I have a scan for example, I nearly passed out when pregnant with Eddy at my growth scan and at my 20 wk scan she put the hand device right INTO my belly button and it made me cry. I will not tolerate people touching my bump as a result and even my MW appointments are a challenge.

Trying to say, use that as an excuse. Say it's sensitive and you'd rather not be touched. People wont challenge that.

It's not a problem I have ever had, weirdly.. Think my personal space bubble must increase the older and grumpier I get..! :lol:

You could perhaps try saying 'you can touch my bump if I can punch you in the face'?! That might work :lol:

I have nothing constructive to say, just thought I'd butt in... :haha:

I used to feel thos way but it hasnt really bothered me this pregnancy.
Thankfully not one family member has ever done it maybe because they know im not a touchy feely person but I had a work colluege try it last time so I just said "im only 12 weeks, thats just my fay your feeling up there" sje never did it again.
You could get yourself one of those maternity tshirts that say "hands off the bump" that way you are giving a message across but in a joking sort of way and it may make them think twice about it.

My mother does this all the time and it is weird - I usually say to her 'leave the bump' - she knows she'll get cuddles when baby is here but I am the same as you - I just don't want people touching the bump.

Even my husband doesn't touch it as he thinks it's weird and he can't get used to the movements, so if he's not touching it, no-one else is (well apart from my 5 year old and he just uses it as a pillow)

Get some t shirts saying hands off my bump!

Give them a warning.

I have the opposite problem.

I want people to touch it more! I want them to want to feel his kicks & when they don't I presume they don't care!

I understand. Its because you don't want to create an awkward or embarrassing situation for the rubber so you just let it happen, im the same and I don't like it at all.

One of the ladies in our office was desperate to touch my bump, but I'd made it very clear from day one that if anyone came near the bump, they'd get bitten. In a fit of annoyance one day she said:
"it's not like I'm touching your boobs now, is it?"
To which I replied:
"that wouldn't fuss me at all - have a feel!"
Funnily enough, she never asked again...

Get some t shirts saying hands off my bump!

Give them a warning.

I have the opposite problem.

I want people to touch it more! I want them to want to feel his kicks & when they don't I presume they don't care!

Oh no this makes me sad! I'm similar though - I don't mind family and friends touching bump (definitely not colleagues or strangers though) and people often ask if baby is moving but seem to not want to touch - so I just grab their hand and say 'yeah here!' and they love it!

I'm sure they care, maybe they just don't want to be intrusive. Let them know that it's ok to touch bump and I'm sure they'll be really happy to feel baby wriggling around in there :happydance:

When they touch you just try reaching out and touching their tummy ! It would be a way of demonstrating that it's an invasion of your personal space without having to say anything! They would find it very uncomfortable, which might make them think twice in future...particularly good for strangers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->