Wish me luck! UPDATE PAGE 2

cabaretmum2b

Scarlett's Mummy!
Reaction score
I'm off to the doctors tomorrow to tell them I think I have ADHD. I've filled out billions of online things that say it's likely, and I've printed out a checklist to take with me tomorrow.
Here's hoping I don't get one of the doctors who will want to tell me it's just a cold or something....

PS - I know it's a bit OT, but if I've posted it here then I definitely have to make the appointment tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to come back and be all like "Yeah, so I forgot to go to the doctors/overslept/decided to do it another day..".
So there.

Wayhey, appointment at 5:10 this evening! Kind of bricking it...

Good luck! Can you let us know what happens?

But ive a feeling you'll be fobbed off, GP's hate people who self-diagnose!

Good luck! Can you let us know what happens?

But ive a feeling you'll be fobbed off, GP's hate people who self-diagnose!

Yep, this is how I feel! I think I'm going to have to push for a referral to a psychiatrist if they won't be co-operative. It seems like it's so obviously the answer that I'm not just going to let them brush it off.

Hi hon,
Sorry I have missed other threads you've put about this (dont get on here much these days :( ) so I dont know the background or why you are wanting a diagnosis, but good luck with the GP :hugs: I imagine he/she will ask why you want it and how it would help you in your life etc, and maybe warn you about consequences of having a diagnosis/label, this might not be because they don't want to diagnose but i think because they can't do it themselves, they would have to refer you on to (I think?) mental health services for assessment and they like as much info about you as possible to help them decide whether they will take you on or not. Does that make sense? So I know its anxiety provoking to go and you might think they are being unhelpful (this is presuming your GP is actually helpful lol) but its just because they will have to do a load of forms etc (well they should do)

At least I think that is how it should happen, thats how it should do in childrens services and I am presuming the same in adult but maybe not! Not sure whether if there are no other mental health issues if it would be a bit more straightforward for adults (ie just psychiatrist) for children they have to have a few assessements with psychiatry, nursing, OT, sometimes psychology as well before they can give a definite diagnosis. Until then it would be just about "having traits or symptoms that would be consistent with ..." if that makes sense? So rather than going in to your gp saying "I have ADHD and here's all the internet pages to prove it" you could say you have been researching because you were concerned about xyz and you suspect you have a lot of traits or symptoms suggestive of ADHD and you want him to look into it because xyz.
YOu might have this all planned out already though so if so just ignore me :)

ANyway I am rambling but I work in mental health (psychology) so I was just trying to help with what I knew about what you should expect to happen :) hope you get some sense out of the gp!

Hi hon,
Sorry I have missed other threads you've put about this (dont get on here much these days :( ) so I dont know the background or why you are wanting a diagnosis, but good luck with the GP :hugs: I imagine he/she will ask why you want it and how it would help you in your life etc, this might not be because they don't want to diagnose but i think because they can't, they would have to refer you on to (I think?) mental health services for assessment and they like as much info about you as possible to help them decide whether they will take you on or not. Does that make sense? So I know its anxiety provoking to go and you might think they are being unhelpful (this is presuming your GP is actually helpful lol) but its just because they will have to do a load of forms etc (well they should do)

At least I think that is how it should happen, thats how it should do in childrens services and I am presuming the same in adult but maybe not! Not sure whether if there are no other mental health issues if it would be a bit more straightforward for adults (ie just psychiatrist) for children they have to have a few assessements with psychiatry, nursing, OT, sometimes psychology as well before they can give a definite diagnosis. Until then it would be just about "having traits or symptoms that would be consistent with ..." if that makes sense? So rather than going in to your gp saying "I have ADHD and here's all the internet pages to prove it" you could say you have been researching because you were concerned about xyz and you suspect you have a lot of traits or symptoms suggestive of ADHD and you want him to look into it because xyz.
YOu might have this all planned out already though so if so just ignore me :)

ANyway I am rambling but I work in mental health (psychology) so I was just trying to help with what I knew about what you should expect to happen :) hope you get some sense out of the gp!

I know what you mean! I'm fully armed with why I think it's likely and what's driven me to research it and this that and the other. I've printed out the checklist mainly because I'll completely blank out if I don't have a prompt! Hopefully I'll have a doctor who listens long enough for me to explain exactly how I feel.
Thanks hun :) x

So the GP has referred me to Adult Mental Health for diagnosis, which is great!
In other news, FOB and I have split. So, swings and roundabouts, I guess...

:hugs: glad you got the help you needed and so sad about you and FOB hope your ok.

<3

So the GP has referred me to Adult Mental Health for diagnosis, which is great!
In other news, FOB and I have split. So, swings and roundabouts, I guess...

Omg mate :0 like horray that they listened and OMG about breaking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->