Wondering if its time

MummyRose2009

Mum of One
Reaction score
My daughter was born 8lb 3oz and was really not taking the the first stage milk very well, she was being sick, not sleeping, getting really collicky, she had the runs and was generally just not a happy girl. So we put her on the hungrier baby food as she was also draiining bottles of the first food and she was so much happier she started to gain weight nicely, she was hardly sick she slept longer and she was so much happier in herself.

Anyway she is 10 weeks now and she weighs 14lb 3oz!!! :shock: and she measures almost 58cm .... shes basically coming in as a four month old...

Anyway shes draining eight ounce bottles now and beomcing more and more restless and being sick more just like she did with the first food when we switched her over.

Now i know on the box of rusks and rice it says 3+ months which isnt long - but is it safe to follow these guide lines and try her with a bit of baby rice?
Midwife was contemplating weaning her early because of how quick she is growing but i want to make sure she'll be ok.

I really wouldn't do any solids this early, I personally think she's way too young. I would stick with the milk, she will drink what she needs. Is it possible she isn't tolerating it well? Does she spit up often? But they will go through growth spurts and start eating much more frequently for a week or so then slow back down. Size really isn't a predictor of being able to handle solids, this article explains why it's best to wait until close to 6mo for anything other than formula or breastmilk

https://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp#back

I would speak to your health visitor before you do anything. Even though the guidelines are 6months sometimes HV's recommend early weaning but certainly not usually before 16wks or 4months. I've never seen any food that says 3months on....it all says 4months +...check the box:wacko:

It was some Farley Rusks i was pretty sure they said 3+ months on a box in the lidl, i shall double check. Anyway i wasnt going to give her them to start with somone recommended a tiny amount of baby rice because its not as rich and to see how she takes it. Shes now draining 8oz bottles of the hungrier baby food, she had actually only just come off a growth spurt and then her feed went up and she will not drink less than 8oz now.

When my midwife visited when she was about 7 weeks we were talking about how rapidly Lana-rose was growing and that the health visiter would return at 4 months to discuss weaning her onto solids slowly depending on if she still carried on growing weight and length wise which she has.

I just want to do whats best for my little girl and im afraid that the milk isnt satisfying her if she keeps draining the bottles i think i will call the health visiter and talk to them about the next milk up to try and keep her off the solids till shes 4 months earliest.

I dont think she should be weaned its far too early not good for there digestuve system , maybe offer her milk at shorter intervals ...lily is 13 wks tday and taking 9oz every 2n half hrs i am hopin its a growth spurt either way put up with constant feeding until at least 16 wks as i know its better for her in the long run ...i was hoping to do baby led weaning

The DoH have now clarified that six months (26 weeks) is the
recommended age for introduction of solid food for all infants, for both
formula fed and breastfed infants (DoH, 2004).
• Many parents will wish to wean earlier than six months (Hamlyn et al,
2002; Fewtrell et al, 2003; Foote & Marriott, 2003). Should they wish to
do this, four months or 17 weeks should be regarded as the earliest
age at which solids should be introduced (DoH, 1994). In spite of this
guideline issued 10 years ago, 41% of mothers wean their babies onto
solids before 16 weeks (Hamlyn et al, 2002).
https://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr323/serina2008tags/weaning.jpg
hope this helps

maddi was a big baby (9lb 3.5 at birth) and was a hungry baby, but we didn't wean till 6.5months, and i would say it is still to early for your LO, i would try offering cooled boiled water in between feeds and see how you go, and speak to your HV too. personally i would prefer to wait till at least 3/4months before even contemplating solids. lots of luck x

We had to wean Niamh early in preperation for her operation. We were told to start weaning at 17wks which is the earliest they reccommend you start. I didn't find that Niamhs milk intake went down at all. She was still on 7 bottles and 8-9oz of hungry baby formula!! aswell as the solids. Even now at 9 months Niamh still has 6 8oz bottles a day as well as solids and snacks.
We early weaned for different reasons but i honestly didn't see any change in Niamhs milk intake, plus its so much easier when they are only on milk!!
Hope your HV can help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->