wont sleep on his own through the day

Mrs-N

Mummy to Joshua James
Reaction score
as the title says really, joshua wont sleep on his own through the day.

when he has a bottle he dozzes off so i give him 5 minutes then put him down in his moses basket (he looks soundo) then bout 5 mins later he is wide awake and screaming so i get him out to calm him down but he gets so angry (im not looking forward to when hes 2) so i cuddle him up in a blanket to get him back tosleep.
he fights it for about 15mins then he goes to sleep again but i put him in his moses basket again and it happens again and again.

ive tried swaddling him then putting him in his moses basket but it doesnt work.

the other day he slept after every bottle until he was due a nappy change and feed but today and yesterday he hasnt had much sleep at all even though he is tired.

what can i do to get him to sleep?

i know it sounds like i only want him to sleep but he is tired but jusy fights it.

HELP

Do you wind him after his bottle? that could be why he wakes up?
I usually feed him, wind and change him and then put him to sleep.

At night time we put him to bed half hour after he has eaten and winded and swadle him and read him a story with the mobile on and he is gone :D

This is freaky and I think we're going to be testing a theory here. I reckon all babies must go through similar phases. I have the same problem with Rebecca and had thought it was connected to breastfeeding or colic or wind at least. Maybe it's as they're getting older and more aware of things...but reading my instruction book they should sleep a lot more during the day than Rebecca does. hum.

i feed him,wind him then have a cuddle for 5mins then i put him down.

at night i change his nappy,feed,wind then put him down and sometimes he is awake and he sleeps ok.

x

aarh its so frustrating

Hannah doesn't sleep very soundly during the day and wakes very very easily. I end up holding her through a lot of her daytime sleeping because she wakes up so much. During the night though she sleeps wonderfully so I'm not complaining :lol:

well hubby got him to sleep earlier and instead of putting him in his moses basket he just layed him on the sofa and he has been asleep for a hour and a half,so he obviously doesnt like his moses basket.

i wouldnt and dont mind holding him through the day when he sleeps but i need to get things done, i.e. sterlizing bottles etc.

i dont want him to end up being a clingy baby.

i dont mind that he doesnt sleep much through the day but he is tired coz he gets angry and frustrated.

I need to get things done too :lol: And I do it, just takes me a lot longer than it normally would. I do put her down, but she generally wakes up within 30 minutes of me putting her down.

As for having a clingy baby I don't particularly want one either but if she's crying and needs me to comfort her than I will do it. From everything I've read you can't spoil a child this young and by responding to them quickly you are reassuring them and giving them a sense of security. So if that means me picking her up every 30 minutes, that's what I'll do :D

so if he has slept ok on the sofa and he doesnt in his moses basket, doesnthe like his moses basket then?

There could be a number of things that is keeping him awake.

Perhaps he is doing his burps but his tummy may still be gassy and he may need to get it out the other way. Try lifting his legs to his chest or do bicycle movements with his legs as this can often help to release the gas. Or, maybe the type of formula is causing this.

Perhaps he may need more attention...more cuddles. You have to remember, he was nice and warm inside you for 9 months.

Perhaps wait 10 minutes before putting him down. I used to have to wait longer than 5 minutes or my babies would wake up.

Anything is possible and it's definitely hard to give advice when we aren't there watching what is being done.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with putting him down on the sofa to sleep right now. My babies napped there until they moved more and I knew they were not going to be safe. So try putting him down in a different area.

thanks leanne.

yeh he likes his cuddles.
i think he is over tired to be honest.

if i cuddle him too much will he end up being clingy?

oh and leanne good luck with tomorrow hun.

:hug:

thanks leanne.

yeh he likes his cuddles.
i think he is over tired to be honest.

if i cuddle him too much will he end up being clingy?

oh and leanne good luck with tomorrow hun.

:hug:

Honestly, he will not end up being clingy. You can't spoil a newborn. I think he just wants to feel safe and secure. Give it another few weeks or a month and then try weaning yourself a bit off from holding him. But I think he just needs you!

I do know it's tough when you need to get things done and your mind is going crazy with all that needs to be done. I have businesses to help run too and I remember so well sitting with my babies thinking of all the calls that need to be made, housework, etc. But you seem to manage.

Also try to see if any other things that I mentioned help too. I burped my babies but often their tummies were gassy and they needed help in that area. Let him lay on your chest as the warmth may help ease it as well for him.

Right now, your baby is first on the list.

Thanks for the "good luck" wishes for tomorrow.

My MW said I shouldn't be afraid of creating an over clingy baby. Like Leeanne said our LOs have been safe & snug inside us for 9 months so it's only natural that they want lots of cuddles now.

I spend a good 20 minutes after Mayas evening feed just cuddling her before I put her in her moses basket for the night. I'll admit, I let her fall asleep in my arms because if she's awake when she goes in she'll just cry!!

I wouldn't be afraid to let your LO sleep on the sofa during the day either. Maya sleeps in her car seat during the day :)

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->