won't take a bottle

smileyfaces

Reaction score
Tried baxter with a bottle of EBM last week and he was screaming the house down (it was my first evening away from him-3hrs!). DH tried two different bottle brands but no luck, he cried himself to sleep and woke up hungry again just as I got home.

I'm due back at work within the next couple of months and not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do?!

I've tried since then to feed him when he isn't ready for a feed so its more relaxed and he's not getting as frantic because I thought that might be a gentler way to get him used to it but he still won't take it.

What should I do?

What do your work say about supporting breastfeeding mums? Depending on the type of work you do, possible solutions could be:
Elements of your job done from home
Increased breaks or split shifts to let you go to him/him come to you for feeds
Part time phase back in to work to allow him to adjust

I know your post focussed on how to get him to take a bottle but I strongly believe that we need to all be asking our workplaces to be more flexible otherwise they just won't know there is a need for them to have increased options for mums returning to work. Obviously it isn't practical in all work environments but if you don't ask you don't get!

I had the same problem and sadly never managed to get Toby to take a bottle. When he was smaller I would feed him before I went to work and he would just get by on food bits till I came home and fed him in the evening. I was pumping at work to keep my supply, wasn't ideal and although stressful at the time it was only for a few months as once he was eating more food he didn't miss the milk if I wasn't around.

My baby refused bottles until the day I simply dropped her off at daycare.

I was a nervous anxious wreck who was convinced my baby would starve herself at daycare because we tried EVERYTHING.

We tried 7 different bottles.
DH tried to feed her. Both grandmas tried to feed her. I tried to feed her. I left the house, I stayed home.... I left for hours.

All resulted in baby screaming for HOURS until I came home and whipped out the breast.

So naturally I stressed myself out about it, convinced the daycare provider that my baby was going to be a screaming monster who refused to eat....

I started her a couple days early at daycare so that I could be nearby incase things went south.

I dropped her off and she took a bottle from the lady within a few hours with minor fussing. She continued to fuss but drink for a couple days, and then became a professional bottle drinker. We breast feed when we are together and she drinks bottles at daycare no problem.

My advice to you is this. Do not stress out about this. Sometimes it can take an entire environment change for them to accept. Daycare doesn't look like home, doesnt smell like me, and the people there are unrelated to me (in comparison to dad and grandmothers)....so she prob figured it out that if she's hungry she has to drink it.

Good luck!

I have a friend this happened to and the baby refused a bottle the whole time she was at work for the first few days. Her husband would feed the baby with a syringe so at least she was getting something and within a few days of my friend working, she started taking a bottle just fine.

My LO took the bottle for the first time with the hoover on (it calms her) and now she will take the bottle no problem! Maybe try a white noise? If you haven't already

I went back to work at 6 weeks and my babies refused a bottle. After 3-4 days of crying and refusing, they finally gave in and took it. Sometimes it just takes time.

How old? Maybe try a sippy cup with water during the day and then switch to milk or formula???

How old? Maybe try a sippy cup with water during the day and then switch to milk or formula???

My husband tried this, thinking "well the baby won't take breast milk, maybe formula!" didn't do any good and the baby still screamed and screamed. In my experience it's been more about the baby not knowing how to use a bottle or being too stubborn to take it.

I'd recommend having someone try to introduce a bottle before you go back once a day so that they aren't going cold turkey without you.

I work in a nursery with babies and we experience this all the time!! I also find that once away from family, the baby will take a bottle of either EBM or formula in smaller amounts from us. Your childcare practitioner will have experienced this so ask them what they suggest or what they would do. One little girl recently was so against the bottle at first that mum came in once a day to feed her at nursery. Baby wasn't upset, just refused the bottle. We slowly introduced a bottle as she was getting tired, in a relaxed and quiet environment. She still (6weeks in) won't take loads from a bottle but had 4-5oz spread over a 10 hour day. She is on food as well though so that's helping her hunger.

I would definitely recommend speaking to your childcare - for advise and peace of mind!

Have you tried mam bottles? Worked with my breastfed baby when he was around 3/4 months. Took a few tries but he had previously refused tommee tippe, nuby and nuk but eventually took from mam self sterilising bottles! I

My sister had this problem. Her little girl refused to take the bottle when she returned to work at eight weeks. She's a teacher and was unable to travel back home to breastfeed during the day When she returned home from work, the baby would feed all evening and night long. She grew and develop normally. She is now a healthy 18 months old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->