Working mums being denied opportunities at work

tiredmumma

Reaction score
I work 30 hours a week in a company where full time is 37.5 hours. I spread them over five days (mom-fri) and don't take a lunch break. This means I can dash home in time for the school pick up.

Today my manager told me my team are being split in two. I have been given no choice in which direction I go and have been given the side of the job I have previously told them I would not do if it were the whole job. The colleague on my team who is my equal has been given the role I would prefer and I believe is actually more senior than my side-step role.

It's effective immediately but they don't know my new title or job role as such. All I know is the manager I report into has changed. When I asked about progression opportunity I was told not while my hours aren't full time. Can they do this without offering redundancy or a choice in my new role or team? Can my hours be used as a reason not to give me a choice?

I work 30 hours a week in a company where full time is 37.5 hours. I spread them over five days (mom-fri) and don't take a lunch break. This means I can dash home in time for the school pick up.

Today my manager told me my team are being split in two. I have been given no choice in which direction I go and have been given the side of the job I have previously told them I would not do if it were the whole job. The colleague on my team who is my equal has been given the role I would prefer and I believe is actually more senior than my side-step role.

It's effective immediately but they don't know my new title or job role as such. All I know is the manager I report into has changed. When I asked about progression opportunity I was told not while my hours aren't full time. Can they do this without offering redundancy or a choice in my new role or team? Can my hours be used as a reason not to give me a choice?

yes i believe they can as they have offered you a role still within the company on the same hours
the hours you work are great most company's don't offer them kind of hours you could always look for a different job or try it and see how it goes good luck

I have looked for other roles but as the main breadwinner I am limited by not being able to afford to earn less. Yes, the hours are great but I am expected to work a grade above the one I am at and to squash a full time job into less hours. This new role sounds like it will be the same - if not worse. It will be the work the grade above me does now but they have told me I won't get a promotion or pay rise - I just have to agree to do it!

What country are you in. Where I work they can't change your terms and conditions or the main elements of your job roll without consultation. It is more complex if the new role comprises tasks that were part of your old role. Are you a member of a union? They can help you figure out what constitutes an unlawful change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->