Worried - 18 weeks - second baby - very small bump

Spudtastic

Reaction score
Hello
So after all my losses i am just paranoid all the time.

I am 18 weeks 2 days and I hardly have a bump at all. I have a daughter and I hear you are bigger the second time around.

I'm average height and slightly overweight so I thought that my extra padding would make a bump look bigger still. I have had comments too this week about how I should be bigger now.

I finally succumbed and have ordered a doppler so hopefully it should be here tomorrow or Friday.

But I'm worried and stressed. I'm nearly halfway through my pregnancy. I tried measuring my fundal height and If I'm correct I'm way behind (but I've never done it before and am untrained).

I have an anterior placenta so felt baby once at 16 weeks but that's it. We heard the heartbeat with the midwife at 16 weeks and 3 days and hr was only 138. It's been higher at previous scans/ appointments. I know hr drops from that first initial high but I can't help but worry.

It's quite common actually for women to have little or no bump at all even all the way up to 18 weeks. To add to that 'extra padding' often tends to make a pregnancy bump less noticeable.

And that heart rate the midwife got was TOTALLY normal!

I know it's hard not to fret, but odds are everything is A-Okay in there!

I hope your Doppler arrives early tomorrow, the days I'm worried my Doppler always calms me. Must be extra scary for you with your loses. Let us know how you get on tomorrow xx

I always had small bumps in 1st or 2nd tri in all my pregnancies, but come 3rd tri I tend to, more or less, "explode" even then, I guess my bumps still appeared to be on the smaller side by the end of my pregnancy, because my midwife had guessed DS to be around 7lbs judging by the size of my bump, and he was actually over 8lbs, and when he was born, she remarked "you hide your babies well." :haha:

Your baby could be hiding more inward than outward, and the HB is totally normal too! Hope your doppler arrives soon!

Im 21 weeks with #2 and if anything my bump is smaller now than it was at 16 weeks. We had a 20 week scan last week and baby is measuring perfect and very active. Im also now feeling a huge amount of movement as i have an anterior placenta and last time i felt loads from 17 weeks. I am feeling little kicks now but very ad hoc. Im sure everythin is fine but understand your worry after a mc, ive had two so im super paranoid too x

in all my pregnancies i dont tend to get a 'bump' untill about 25ish weeks xx

I'm smaller this second time around. Sick of
People saying they don't believe I'm 6 months pregnant and I've only put on 6lbs this time. I've felt kicks later and found the HB later this time also. Every pregnancy is different. Don't worry. I'm 23+3 now and finally felt kicks outside, felt at 21 weeks with my DD.

Hope you get your doppler soon, however I don't think you have anything to worry about, my bump didn't appear until around 22wks.

Thanks ladies...

Your comments have made me feel much better. I've lost 1 lb and put on a 1lb so really no difference yet. it just gets stressful when the comments start i suppose. I need to stick some ear plugs in my ears.

I'm just enjoying it whilst I'm not so big I want to cry. Ta nice to feel comfortable for as long as possible. With my DD, I was so uncomfortable by 20 weeks so nice to feel different this time

My bump is also smaller this time, I think it's because baby is usually lying facing my back. Also means I don't feel as much movement as my first. Let us know how you go with your Doppler! When is your anatomy scan?

I wouldn't worry about it, I'm almost in my 3rd tri and feel like I'm much smaller this time around than with my other two.

Thanks ladies. I tried the dopppler this morning and found baby's hb pretty quickly. So now I'm putting the doppler away (until I next get stressed). I personally don't like to use a doppler but I decided stress was bad for baby too.
So now I'm happy for the moment and I have anatomy my scan on Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->