Worried about bump!

Charlie189

Mum to Amelia <3
Reaction score
I was working today (in a care home) helping move one of the residents when he just dropped, instivctively i didnt let go, and lifted him up into his chair, (very very stupid i know!! it just happened so quickly!)
i pulled myself, and ive been getting pains in my lower stomach, in between my hip bones, i rang the midwife and she said hopefully it'll be ok but watch for bleeding!
I'm really panicking and just wondered if anything like this has happened to anyone else??

Has not happened to me personally but a friend of mine works where she lifts heavy boxes frequently throughout the day and when she made a personal life choice at 15 weeks the baby was fine. She never experienced any spotting during or after lifting the boxes (she did not know she was pregnant until 10 weeks) but she said it often felt like she had pulled a muscle and found heating pads ( the sticky disposable) ones took the pain away. Not sure if those are safe during pregnancy but try a warm water bottle or electric heating pad set on low/medium.

Have you done a work place pregnancy risk assesment?

I would have thought you shouldn't be placed in any position where you could cause damage to yourself while pregnant.
My workplace did one as soon as i told them i was pregnant, and there were activities that i was simply not allowed to do.
I worked in the care sector too.

I'm with your mw on this one. As long as you don't have any bleeding, you'll probably be just fine. It's most likely just some strained muscles that will probably be sore for a while. :hugs: Hope the pain goes away soon!

Thanks guys, I know I'm probably just paranoid but can't help panicking, doesn't help that OH turned round and said 'if we loose the baby its your fault' like I didn't know that anyway!

They did a risk assessment, and it was something I shouldn't have really been doing,
The problem is they put me in an awful position, there are certain people that require two that I shouldn't be in contact with, however they only put 2 staff on duty,
On an evening, So therefore its a case of neglect them basically or just do as much as I can,

It sounds to me like they have forced this on you and are not being responsible and doing what they are required to in keeping you from having to do these things. I'd be having a talk with someone about it and making sure that I'm never put in that position again if it were me. Sadly, you might end up having to neglect the residents a bit if they don't plan things better, but I'm sure they'd understand that you are simply looking out for the health of your unborn child.

Your OH btw sounds like a prick for saying that to you! Mine would never try to make me feel guilty for anything, even if he did blame me for it, simply because he knows that I feel guilty for everything already anyway and feeling guilty never helps anything anyway.

i feel that because of how u described what happened that baby will be ok, just take your time at work from now on and if u feel that anything u do as part of your job is a risk then tell them, u dont have to do anything u dont feel comfortable wiv, im sure this was just a one off thing that happened wiv the service user falling, but make sure they do a risk assesment on you they need to by law.

Thank you, and they are really, everytime I bring it up its , 'oh well the nurse in charge will have to help with the things you can't do'
Then when it comes to needing help, they're all of a sudden too busy.
I think today really taught me a lesson though and hopefully baby will be ok and I certainly won't be taking anymore risks.

I was working today (in a care home) helping move one of the residents when he just dropped, instivctively i didnt let go, and lifted him up into his chair, (very very stupid i know!! it just happened so quickly!)
i pulled myself, and ive been getting pains in my lower stomach, in between my hip bones, i rang the midwife and she said hopefully it'll be ok but watch for bleeding!
I'm really panicking and just wondered if anything like this has happened to anyone else??

Heyy i also work in a carehome! and the same thing happened to me accept slightly different. i helped lift the person and then i felt like a had pulled a muscle!!

Hey Charlie, im a carer and after telling my boss he said i didnt need a risk assessment because others have all coped huh charming! I was origionally doing too much so have made the desision to take it easy and not do anything im uncomfortable with. Ive always been fast with my work and never really stopped so ive just slowed my pace down and squeeze in more drinks and snacks when i need too, i feel sick after about 2 hours without eating anything.

Dont feel bad about leaving someone to fall, i know we do it instinctively but the rule applies to everyone that were not to catch anyone if we see them falling beause we endanger ourselves.

Vicki x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"