Worried about cord knots/accidents, anyone else?

Blue_bumpkin

Love My Little Monkey :)
Reaction score
As titled, does anyone worry about this. This terrifies me so much it's my biggest worry although it's rare x

Yes me too! I actually just googled it last night (stupid mistake) seems to be very rare though. There's always something to worry about :(

My son's cord was in a true knot when he was born but was never picked up on any scans. I was oblivious to things like that so didn't even know to be worried! We only knew after he was born and the midwives were all really shocked because other than a decrease heart rate near the end of the labour there were no signs.

Apparently it's really rare for it to happen so I would try not to worry. It's even rarer that it doesn't get picked up so hopefully that reassures you a little. Ollie has had no issues from his knotted cord.

If you have any more scans due you can always ask them to check the flow for you :)

My son's cord was in a true knot when he was born but was never picked up on any scans. I was oblivious to things like that so didn't even know to be worried! We only knew after he was born and the midwives were all really shocked because other than a decrease heart rate near the end of the labour there were no signs.

Apparently it's really rare for it to happen so I would try not to worry. It's even rarer that it doesn't get picked up so hopefully that reassures you a little. Ollie has had no issues from his knotted cord.

If you have any more scans due you can always ask them to check the flow for you :)

Thank u, how do they check the flow? I've my 20 week scan next week x

They can turn the scan machine to a coloured version and it checks the blood flow through the cord to make sure that there are no kinks in it during the ultrasound. I don't know if it's routine or if they just checked because of Ollie's issue but I'm sure you can ask for the reassurance and they'd be happy to oblige. I had a scan at 36 weeks and they checked it there too.

I did until every pic in my books/apps have the baby like wrapped up in the cord. So I decided not to stress because if the babies in the illustration are like triple wrapped like a Taco Bell whatever item it is then I'm not gonna stress

I have anxiety (started another thread for that) and think I just worry about every thing. This is firmly planted in my mind tho it's hard to not worry about it xx

Having anxiety is difficult and I find it so much worse when you're pregnant. You have this little person inside of you but you can't see or really tell what's going on so it's natural to worry even more.

I think the most important thing to try and remember when you get anxious about something like the cord knots and accidents is to remind yourself that they're rare and not always fatal (like in my case). Take some deep breaths and ask for monitoring at your scan.

I hope you feel better. Anxiety really sucks x

Having anxiety is difficult and I find it so much worse when you're pregnant. You have this little person inside of you but you can't see or really tell what's going on so it's natural to worry even more.

I think the most important thing to try and remember when you get anxious about something like the cord knots and accidents is to remind yourself that they're rare and not always fatal (like in my case). Take some deep breaths and ask for monitoring at your scan.

I hope you feel better. Anxiety really sucks x

I started a thread about anxiety earlier. A don't feel like where I am it's understood in pregnancy , like I'm not sure anyone who doesn't have it can understand how overwhelming it can be it's awful x

I had 2 true knots in my last babies cord it caused a lot of drama in delivery room although we didnt realise that was the problem until birth. Probably caused by too much fluid due to gestational diabetes, one minute he was head down and next day he was breech etc. etc. It does scare me that it could happen again but thankfully i had a happy outcome.

From what I've read most true knots are formed in early pregnancy when baby is little but only present problems later on. I will be booking a growth scan at 24 weeks and asking they check the length of the cord (as best they can) for any odd kinks or knots etc. I know they are hard to visualise but it is easier to see the earlier the scan xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->