Worried about history repeating itself...

lozenge

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm not sure what I will achieve with this post but here goes..

My pregnancy with DS was a normal one, and the labour was pretty straightforward. But when they broke my waters there was old meconium in them. The midwife wasn't too bothered about this because it was old as opposed to fresh. Anyway she made me wait about 4 hours before pushing. When I was pushing she was commenting that old meconium was coming out.

When my DS was born, he had trouble breathing. He was rushed to SCBU where he was ventilated for 3 days and was very poorly. He was given antibiotics and he improved and we all got to go home on day 8, but the whole experience left me completely terrified. They had diagnosed him with meconium aspiration syndrome, i.e. he inhaled the meconium. However, on speaking to the consultant paediatrician he seemed to think meconium wasn't the only issue, but they couldn't specify/find any other cause. He said the fact that the meconium was old (although they didnt have notes on the meconium itself so couldnt determine how old) meant baby had been in distress for some time. I asked whether Group B Strep could be a cause and he said maybe but not much pointed to that (I am going to get tested for it with this pregnancy).

To cut a long story short, I am expecting again. I am terrified something will cause this baby to be in distress and the same thing will happen again. The fact they never really knew what caused my DS to be distressed prior to the birth is playing on my mind. The paediatrician said at my son's check up that I should speak to a consultant obstetrician, but that they couldn't really do much different with this pregnancy.

I guess I just wondered if anyone had a similar story or circumstance to talk about? I know there isn't much I can do but I am so worried.

Aww hun of coure u are gonna be worried, hopefully when the time comes for delivery if meconium is found again they will take better steps to stop ur baby inhaleing it,and not make u wait another 4 hours again to deliver iukwim, its worth talking it through with a consultant, good luck xx

I can't give you any words of wisdom, but my experience when my DS was born was very similar.

He inhaled what they thought was 'old' meconium, he was born very distressed (via crash c-section) and went into scbu for 2 days. He also had to have antibiotics as it emerged that I had a womb infection, although noone could tell me if it appeared in labour or had been there for weeks/months. All was well after that and he's now 22 months old.

However, I am pregnant again (19 weeks) and like you I am worried about the baby being distressed in the womb again and me not knowing. I don't know what to do about it, to be honest, so if anyone has any advice I'd also like to hear it!

Claire x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"