Worried about introducing lumps / finger foods etc!

debralouise

Mummy to Grace and Jack x
Reaction score
I have a huuuge fear of introducing lumpy foods or anything Grace could potentially choke on really!

I know she should be having finger foods now and some sort of lumpy food but I'm terrified of her choking!

I think that if I gave her some toast / carrot sticks to chew on she would ram the lot straight in!! Am I being over protective you think? Or is she unlikely to choke?

xx xx :blush:

My baby doesn't choke on finger foods, he would suck the food more than take bites off it so maybe your baby will do the same.

I was scared of this too, but they will be fine!

I have started Daisy on a Hipp Organic carrot and apple pot, it has tiny pieces of apple in it and she coped fine.

She has also had a rusk to chew on, they dissolve so quickly in babys mouth that there it little chance of choking.
She has had a slice of Apple to chew on and some melon, she sooked them more than anything!

Next i am going to buy the tiny baby pasta and sauces and try her with them.

Babies have a pretty good gag reflux that helps prevent choking. Hannah did gag a few times on foods as we introduced new textures but she's never choked and she's gotten really good at eating all sorts of foods now.

babies have excellent gag reflexes.dont worry.

Oh god, this brings back memories.. I was Mrs. Paranoid when we started giving Bethanie finger foods. I would actually wait until my boyfriend got in from work at lunchtime before giving her anything. She had a little choke on a biscotti once when she was around 7 months and that really freaked me out for ages.

Try your best not to worry about it, start with small chunks of foods if it makes you feel better - it always did with me, or soft foods like melon or pear. I stayed away from apple for a while.

Good luck :)

For some bizarre reason they choke and gag on lumpy foods when introduced after purees but seem to happily munch on toast and biscuits.....:dohh::rofl:

chloe still doesnt have finger foods or lumps. what she has had she proper choked on- shes not ready for it yet- luckily she did it at baby group once and the support worker agreed that shes not ready

Alasdair refused to have lumpy food a few weeks ago, now he gobbles it up. He is a finger food baby (much prefers it to being spoon fed) so maybe he isn't a good barometer but he is absoltely fine with everything we've tried. The organix carrot sticks are really good at properly dissolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->