Worried about measuring 7 weeks ahead @ 13 weeks

purplepeenut

Reaction score
Im 13 weeks 4 days. My dates are exact. I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks where we saw the sac and the start of a fetal pole, also confirmed my dates. Yesterday at my appointment i was measuring over 20 weeks :/ my docotor was stunned and said in his 30 year career he has never seen anyone measure so big this early. He is sending me for an ultrasound asap but couldnt get in for 2 more days! My blood test all came back perfect (no sign of GD and kidney and liver function perfect).

My doctor thinks it could be twins and said before 8 weeks they can be missed. I however think that is incredibly unlikely and think it may be extra fluid. After googling extra fluid ive read that it can b a sign of a problem :( My questions are: can they have missed a twin? Could i have so much fluid so early? Is extra fluid a bad thing? Anyone experienced this? Im a stressed wreck due to a miscarriage last year :(

Have no advice sorry just wanted to say hope someone can offer comfort and that everythings ok x

I've always been told by midwives that they don't start measuring your bump until 24-28 weeks, as it can be really inaccurate up to then so there's not much point. For example bloat, extra weight around the stomach etc can all make the measurement seem more than it should be. By 24-28 weeks it's normally more baby/fluid and not much else.

That being said, obviously your doctor knows more than me! Hopefully the ultrasound will give answers, and everything is ok.

I understand why you're feeling stressed. Are you seeing an obstetrician or is this your GP? That was silly of him to go down the whole, "in my 30 year career I've never seen this..." road. Geez that would make anyone freak out!

I'm seeing an obstetrician and my bump size has never been measured. I hope all goes well with your scan. Has it been booked for Friday?

Is this fundal height measurement? As someone else said, in the UK they don't do it till much much later in the pregnancy as it is SO inaccurate that early on it's seen as pointless.

I don't think he should have measured you at all and I strongly suspect he's caused you panic over nothing by doing so.

I've always been really large for my dates by fundal hight however it's just that, nothing else to it and no excess water etc I just have bigger bumps than most, I'm now pregnant with twins and same applies I currently measure 34 weeks by height and I'm only just approaching 19 weeks. My first was 10lbs at 42 weeks and my 2nd was 7lbs born at 37 weeks x

Yes, like someone else said, fundal height is completely inaccurate at that point and really until before around the start of 3rd trimester. Basically, it's the measure in cm between your pubic bone and the top of your uterus. At 13 weeks though your uterus should still be just below your pubic bone. You shouldn't even be able to find it really by palpating or not much of it. It could be he's feeling something that isn't your uterus if he doesn't know what he's feeling for (if he's even feeling for it at 13 weeks, he probably doesn't know what he's doing) or he's measuring bloat more than uterus, because you'll likely still be quite bloated then. I think the first time I had fundal height measured was maybe 28 weeks?

I was measuring 31 at 23 weeks..... I wouldn't worry XXX

Hi, I agree with everybody here. I was measured for the first time at 25 weeks.

Yes, like someone else said, fundal height is completely inaccurate at that point and really until before around the start of 3rd trimester. Basically, it's the measure in cm between your pubic bone and the top of your uterus. At 13 weeks though your uterus should still be just below your pubic bone. You shouldn't even be able to find it really by palpating or not much of it. It could be he's feeling something that isn't your uterus if he doesn't know what he's feeling for (if he's even feeling for it at 13 weeks, he probably doesn't know what he's doing) or he's measuring bloat more than uterus, because you'll likely still be quite bloated then. I think the first time I had fundal height measured was maybe 28 weeks?

I'm not so sure about this...I believe there's different factors involved that could affect it...at 13 weeks I told my DH I felt like I could feel the top of my uterus right over top of my belly button...lo and behold at my 14 week appointment my midwife was feeling my belly and said "did they say you were having twins" and I told her no, why? And she said because my uterus was over my belly button and I was measuring at 18 weeks! I knew I was feeling it! This is my 5th pregnancy and 3rd baby and I am pretty petite so I truly believe those are factors and that every pregnancy is different. And just to add, my babies have been petite as well, both under 7 lbs

6 weeks is pretty early, the dates can really be wrong at that stage, and it is possible that they missed a twin sac that early on. Like the others said though, I wouldn't put too much stock in fundal height measurements! Hope you get good news at your scan xx

Thanks everyone :) in answer to some questions my doctor doesnt usualy measure before 20 weeks but i was obviously showing at just 13 weeks and he wanted to see if it was bloat etc. He felt the top of my uterus just above my belly button and im 5"8. Im also pretty thin with littke body fat to add to the bump. My ultrasound is tomorrow morning and it cant come soon enough! I can find anything about having too muh fluid this early because it seems to happen later and be related to GD. With my first i didnt show until 5 months. Thanks everyone ill let you know the results :)

Just had the scan :) everything is perfect! Baby is measuring a day ahead and appeared to be sucking his or her thumb! They said my uterus should only b a few cms above my pubic bone but the entire thing is already completely above it! It appears it popped above around 7/8 weeks. So all those women who popped in the first tri its deffinetly possible and might not be bloat! Im just in the lucky group who started getting a bump pretty much as soon as the test was possible lol. Thankseveryone for your help we are very happy:)

Just had the scan :) everything is perfect! Baby is measuring a day ahead and appeared to be sucking his or her thumb! They said my uterus should only b a few cms above my pubic bone but the entire thing is already completely above it! It appears it popped above around 7/8 weeks. So all those women who popped in the first tri its deffinetly possible and might not be bloat! Im just in the lucky group who started getting a bump pretty much as soon as the test was possible lol. Thankseveryone for your help we are very happy:)

It happened to me. I had a very noticeable bump by 8 weeks and people kept asking me if it was twins. Now at almost 26 weeks I've leveled off and look more where I should be, with no problems at all. Baby is right on track and healthy. Congrats!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->