worried about milk drying up?

missriddler

Reaction score
I suppose im stressed about a lot of things... but the main one is that my milk will dry up/is drying up - this is my first baby and I don't know much about it all, but my baby is feeding for long periods of time and often, does this mean that its taking her longer than it should to get what she needs? or that my milk supply is diminishing? shes only 3 weeks old and I desperately want to breast feed for as long as I possibly can, 3 weeks doesn't seem enough x

She's just ensuring that you have enough milk for the future! There is a growth spurt around three weeks so that possibly explains why she is nursing for so long. Another few weeks and she'll possibly get more efficient at feeding.

Please don't worry sweetheart, if you let baby feed on demand and just be at the breast as much as she wants your supply should be fine. If she is only happy on the breast some days, just leave her there, it's normal. If she's having lots of wet nappies and yellow seedy poo, and gaining weight, everything is okay :)
My little girl would sometimes feed all day it felt like, or every hour for short bursts, then this week she was feeding for long periods every four hours, then she changed again the next day! I try to trust her and go with it and her growth has been perfect.

I send what pp said as well, three weeks is a growth spurt time, it will pass. We noticed a sudden difference in her sleeping/eating patterns after the 6 week growth spurt, it's always changing in these early days!

I know you're handling a lot of this alone, but just try to trust your baby and body, you're doing amazing X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->