worried about my little Ali

Christine33

Reaction score
good evening ladies

can someone help me/put my mind at rest...

my teeny Ali is teething and has really gone off his milk big time. last week he was dowing 6oz bottles easily, for the past few days we are struggling to get him to drink 3oz bottles and he doesn't seem hungry at all.

he is teething and seems to be in pain so we are treating that

do babies lose their appetite when teething? has your baby lost their appetite?

ali has hardly been eating anything and i am so worried about him :cry: :cry:.

thanks.

Christine
XXX

My friends baby lost her appetite when she was teething, she was being weaned at the time and went of solids totally. As long as he is taking some liquid he should be ok, he will come through it and get his appetite back. x

awww thanks. he is 4 months old today (where has time gone) and is not on any solids at all - just milk!!! he isn't ready to be weaned as yet. i hope he feels better soon as the wee mite seems to be in terrible pain.

Christine
XXX

Aw, bless him. It can get right bad, hope he gets better soon. :) x

Sam is breastfed but has had bottles of expressed milk most weeks since he was about 5 weeks old. When he started teething he also started completely refusing to drink from a bottle. He'd try to have a bit but just didn't seem like he wanted it (but if I then fed him myself he'd have loads, so it wasn't a hunger issue).

I spoke to my HV about it as I'm going away for a weekend soon and was so worried that he wouldn't feed well, and she just said that he'd obviously forgotten how to drink from a bottle. I really thought it was to do with teething, as he's 8 months old and I didn't think he could possibly have forgotten when he'd had one a week before - and I'd read that the sucking action can irritate their gums even more. As soon as his teeth were through I tried him on a bottle again and he drank the whole thing with no problems at all.

Bit long...sorry - just meant to say that teething can affect their feeding...not just because they might feel a bit unwell and be less hungry for a couple of days but also that it can be a bit uncomfortable for them. You could try teething gel 20 minutes before a feed, or chilling the teat sometimes works too. If he'll drink from a sippy cup it might be worth trying too.

If you're worried about him getting dehydrated or you think he might be ill I'd take him to the doctor just to put your mind at rest though. Hope he's better soon :hugs: x

I know when Jack has having a bad day he likes his milk really cooled down as he likes to bite on the teat at the same time :)
Hope it gets better soon x

Teething does affect their feeding. Another thing I would suggest is that you look in your baby's mouth for signs of thrush. When my LO had thrush, she wouldn't eat at all because the thrush was painful (we were given nystatin, which did nothing and her thrush started to blister) so she stopped eating her normal feeds and would take 2oz a time every two hours.
Hope you sort it hun :hugs:

My baby was experiencing teething pain.He lost his appetite in eating, drinking milk and having a diarrhea. Last month. he was in the hospital. Depending on the child if he/she can sacrifice the pain.

awww, hope lil Ali gets his appetite back. Teething can make them feel really groggy. xx

thanks for your replies.

i was so worried about him as he didn't have a bottle for over 10 hours and wasn't producing wet nappies i called the surgery and we took him in and a doctor examined him.

doc examined wee ali fully and says he cannot see anything wrong. he says if he hasn't picked up by Wednesday (he is getting his final vaccinations then) he will re examine him :cry: :cry:

i am so worried about him....we have managed to get a couple of 2-3 oz bottles down him but it is a struggle - he seems fine otherwise. doc doesn't seem to think it is the teething and he doesn't have an oral thrush either. perhaps he is just having a couple of off days.

hopefully he will perk up soon. he is sleeping just now on the sofa.

Christine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->