Worried about over feeding now!

iiTTCii

Mummy of two
Reaction score
Out of interested, I just googled to find out how my calories my 10 month should be having a day and its a lot less than I thought. This article suggests 750 calories a day:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...lories-Infants-path-obesity-warn-experts.html

So I got a pad and paper and started to work out what my LO has. She gets 300 calories from milk so that leaves her 450 for her food... She has had that by lunchtime! Not from crap either, from things like yoghurt, banana and cheese.
I was picking quite high calorie snacks (like cheese or avocado) to make sure she isn't hungry.. But looks like I've got it wrong.

No way should you calorie count or be remotely concerned about calorie intake under age 2 unless severely over or underweight.

She moving round, burning off loads of calories, feed her exactly what you think she needs and enjoys.

Calorie counting for babies... Personally I find that downright ridiculous.

Please don't take any notice of that article. It's in the Daily Mail for a start, the paper is well known for sensationalising and exaggerating.

Babies eat what they want and need. They eat until they're full. If you're not giving her any junk there's no problem.

My almost one year old probably eats way more than 750 calories a day. He has three meals and two breast feeds a day. At dinner especially he gets through an amazing amount of food. But I trust him to know how much he needs! He's 75th centile for weight and 99th for height, he's a growing boy and there's no way I'd put a limit on what he's allowed to eat.

a book i read mentioned 600 cals on top of 400ml milk

for me personally, i have been plagued by comments on how big my baby is, and its something that i am solely responsible for and i want to get it right, so to be able to look at a calorie amount was a way to try and sort out what portion size he should be having, although i ended up doing a baby jar day to see how much food was in those and i was astounded to see how little i was giving him.

the above posters are right, we shouldnt be looking at calorie count, and the information shouldnt actually be available to look at, do you have worries about your babys weight?

my lo is 75cm long and 24lbs, 10 months today and im told constantly about how big he is. and it gets me down all the time

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 13
I would definitely not worry about overfeeding your baby. She will eat what she needs!

I have a big baby who I am fairly certain eats far more calories than that a day. Am I worried about her being obese? Of course not she is starting to lose her baby chub already with moving around and she is offered healthy foods.

I actually can't believe they are suggesting counting calories for babies. Sounds crazy to me!

I wouldn't worry at all about this. Ds has always been big. I used to feel a bit insecure about it, that ppl thought I was overfeeding etc but now it doesnt bother me at all. He did go off the centile chart once for around a month but otherwise he's always been on it just at the very top which is still classed as normal as is been at the bottom. So how can anyone put a number on how many caleries a baby needs when they are all so different. Also some babies are much more mobile and so burn more as well. As long as your lo is vaguely following their line and not gaining or loosing huge amounts I wouldnt put too much thought into it just go with what they want.

for me personally, i have been plagued by comments on how big my baby is, and its something that i am solely responsible for and i want to get it right, so to be able to look at a calorie amount was a way to try and sort out what portion size he should be having, although i ended up doing a baby jar day to see how much food was in those and i was astounded to see how little i was giving him.

the above posters are right, we shouldnt be looking at calorie count, and the information shouldnt actually be available to look at, do you have worries about your babys weight?

my lo is 75cm long and 24lbs, 10 months today and im told constantly about how big he is. and it gets me down all the time

Dont let peoples comments get you down. I used too and then just stopped letting it get to me. I cant remember ds weight at 10m but it must have been more than your ds because I know he was 21lb at 16 weeks. Hes 2.5 now and dropped from very top centile to 91st so still big but slimming out. Anything on that chart is normal and nothing to worry about. Your baby is gorgeous dont let other people cause you stress and worry.

ignore comments about your babies weight. DS was a VERY.CHUBBY.BABY, and by the time he turned 2, he had grown so tall and was so active that he is the slimmest in his care centre. He chubs up, then grows and slims, then chubs up again. when he started walking the weight just fell off.

Just feed your bubs healthy stuff and don't worry about. they really will only eat when they are hungry and will stop when they are full!!:thumbup:

People constantly comment how big my daughter is. The other day a lady asked how old my daughter was when I told her she was shocked. She was like omg she's so big she looks like she's 13 months. It used to bother me but I just laughed it off. What's important to me is that she's healthy. She just had a check up and at 8 months she is 20.6 pounds and 75 cm long. I wouldn't really worry about calories unless the doctor said something or 2 years of age. I demand feed, when she's hungry she eats. That's done with formula and solids.

400ml a day? That seems very little to me. My LO has 240 ml a bottle, she's not much for solids yet though. She seems to hate everything except blueberries lol

yes sounds little to me too, everytime i ask for advice from paed or hv or doc i get the same response of if i keep saying words she will go,no one wants to commit to saying anything......... i live by babies eat what they want to eat, my son soon crosses his hands and me when hes had enough, and i dont give him anything naughty.

thank you foryour lovely support ladies and i hope op can get something out of it too

Your baby is beautiful and in perfect proportion. My 19 month old is 78cm and 25.5lbs so similar proportions and nothing wrong with her at all!

So long as its healthy food I really wouldn't worry about limiting food too much at this age hon
My lo has really bad reflux and sees dietician because of it
She advised 500ml,or 20 oz a day plus food
The milk alone is 1340 calories
And that came from a dietician
So I'd say ur source has it far too low

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members