Worried about reaching hospital in time for 2nd baby

emmalg

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm interested in your experiences with second deliveries.

With my first the due date was 28th Oct, my waters broke at 23:50 on 27th but my contractions didn't really get going, I was in and out for antibiotics with contractions ranging from 3 minutes apart to non-existent. I was given a pessary to ripen the cervix which had no effect. I spent the night of 28th in hospital, the next morning my contractions were stronger but still doing nothing.

Eventually, as it had been over 36 hours since my waters broke and my temp was going up I was told I had little choice left to me, I wasn't effaced or dilated, I had to be induced or face a caesarean. I had the epidural (mild enough to feel the contractions) in preparation but within what felt like minutes to me, probably no more than half an hour I could feel the head and a short spell of pushing later DD was born with nuchal hand and cord at 21:00 on 29th about 45 hours after my waters broke.

My problem is I never went into active labour before the epidural so I have no idea what to expect time wise this time and I live up to an hour from the hospital in rush hour.

My last experience wasn't traumatic for me, just exhausting, so I am not worried if we can't make it but I want to be prepared.

How did your second labour compare to your first? Do you think I had a short active labour? Did you have a long first stage to warn you to get ready?

I went in 9 days over with my 1st to be induced due to reduced movement and high bp, had a pessary and was left n told I'd get another in 6 hours,

Within the hour I started getting pains just very mild these got worse and worse and was told its just prostin pains and given 2 paracetamol as I was still on a normal ward as the hospital was very busy!

Oh went to get a midwife as the pains were toe curling and very close it was only a student and she said no they are contractions, a midwife came in to check me and I was 9cm with feeling like I needed to push

I couldn't walk to the delivery suite so was rushed round on the bed with them gettin the stuff out ready to deliver in the corridor! I finally got in a room and oh followed with my bags and within minutes I pushed n she came out all in one!

So for my 2nd I was worried as my labour was only 1 hour 40 mins with just the paracetamol n a bit of gas n air to push!

I had to be induced at 39 weeks due to high bp again, waters were broke and put on drip and within a few hours the contractions were one after the other but not registering on the monitor so again they didn't think I was having bad pains I asked the midwife to check me as I felt I couldn't carry on just with gas n air n she said I was only 4cm n I could have pethidine, she gave me the needle walked out the room n I said to oh I need to push!

I pressed the buzzer to call her and could feel his head so the pethidine hadn't even gone in yet! The contractions were still not showing on monitor and ds was born minutes later!

His labour was 1 hour 39 mins!

This time I'm worrying I won't make it as I plan to be at home when labour starts n would like to have as much time at home as possible but having not needed much pain relief I don't know if il make it haha!

I'm not allowed a home birth so fingers crossed I make it to the hospital!!!

Just wanted to share mine! I'm sure u will be fine! Generally 2nd labours are quicker so just go the hospital even if u think it might be early and tell them u laboured quickly last time!

Sorry it's long!!

No worries about the length! I found that really helpful information! That's kind of what I am thinking, I'd rather head in at the first signs, even book into a hotel if I have to than be delivering in the car!

Good luck with your 3 under 3! My mum had me, 7 years later my little brother, then just 11 months later twin boys! I won't say it wasn't a handful but it had been fun and they get on wonderfully being so close in age!

My first was also due on the 28th october ;) but in 2008 she was a very fast labour got to hospital at 5cm and she was born in 2hrs... So second time around the mws all thought I was going to have such a short labour I wouldn't even make it to hospital etcetc lots of worry. Anyway as it happened my second didn't engage at all, was 2 weeks over and back to back - very long labour. From regular contractions it was around 48 hrs. It wasnt harder and was actually more enjoyable...somehow but essentially no I didn't have labours alike at all.

I think you have more of an idea on when is the right time, the last stage of labour is often faster. But every baby is different and they all come in their own sweet time it doesn't matter if it's your second or first they are all different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->