Worried...asd moms

JASMAK

Mom of three
Reaction score
My daughter has been having what I call anxiety, but don't know if that is technically what it is. She is having 'bad thoughts' (her description). She doesn't explain things well, but over the last couple weeks I think I have figured out she thinks she is bad and wont go to heaven. But, this isn't normal worried. This is curled up in a ball crying....when out...wherever she is...she will get upset. I just don't know what to do! I read that a large percentage of children with ASD get diagnosed with anxiety later. Our Dr is a useless twat (sorry). I am going to get hubby to ask for a referral to her pediatrician, but that might take a year. :(

Hugs! I was saying to my husband yesterday i think ours might have anxiety, nothing as serious as worrying about death etc. but he is freaked out by so many things all of a sudden, such as insects, totally goes crazy where he never had an issue before, certain foods, knives (as in normal cuttery) etc. Again waiting lists for stupid here, although he has been accpeted onto the asd pathway we are still awaiting full diagnosis and been waiting for his next appoint for 6 months now! its deverstating when you see your child get worse in some areas and have no where to turn to get advise.

I think you just have to try and get her seen and keep pushing as much as you can, sorry i cant offer any real advise, but i totally understand the frustration and situation.

Thanks for replying. Yeah. ..I just have to get her seen. Sad to see her like this but frustrating too!

I know that over here Anxiety is very linked to Autism, so it doesn't surprise me that she's developing it. But oh my god. How heartbreaking!!!! :( And its like 1000 times worse when she has a hard time explaining what she's feeling. Claire is the same, and my heart breaks while I want to bang my head off a wall because I get so frustrated with Autism and the barriers it puts up. :(

I'm trying to think....

I know here we have Autism Ontario, and (I'm SO sorry!!!) I don't remember which province you live in. Our local branch has been amazing for me in getting extra resources for Claire, but I don't know the equivalent (if any) if you don't live in Ontario.

Does your hubby have benefits? Could you potentially research an ASD friendly psychiatrist (one that has experience)? I don't have much faith in our pediatricians here, they're few and far between and end up just referring to a psychologist/psychiatrist anyways.

Massive, massive hugs. I hate Autism. :( I really do. I hate the barriers it puts up and how hard it is for me to talk about things with Claire. Sorry, having a bad Autism week, please forgive me if I've upset you. :(

If you feel comfortable enough, PM me with your area. I could always contact some of Claire's resources and see if they have any ideas or paths for you to follow that don't hopefully take up to a year. :(

I know that over here Anxiety is very linked to Autism, so it doesn't surprise me that she's developing it. But oh my god. How heartbreaking!!!! :( And its like 1000 times worse when she has a hard time explaining what she's feeling. Claire is the same, and my heart breaks while I want to bang my head off a wall because I get so frustrated with Autism and the barriers it puts up. :(

I'm trying to think....

I know here we have Autism Ontario, and (I'm SO sorry!!!) I don't remember which province you live in. Our local branch has been amazing for me in getting extra resources for Claire, but I don't know the equivalent (if any) if you don't live in Ontario.

Does your hubby have benefits? Could you potentially research an ASD friendly psychiatrist (one that has experience)? I don't have much faith in our pediatricians here, they're few and far between and end up just referring to a psychologist/psychiatrist anyways.

Massive, massive hugs. I hate Autism. :( I really do. I hate the barriers it puts up and how hard it is for me to talk about things with Claire. Sorry, having a bad Autism week, please forgive me if I've upset you. :(

Do you know what? It's nice to hear someone say they hate autism, I think so many people criticise and talk about embracing autism, it makes me feel like a failure for hating what it does to my son and us as a family. :hugs:

JASMAK where are you from? A year sounds a terribly long wait.

I live in Canada. I dont know how long the wait will be, I am just guessing. I haven't seen our GP yet as we all have been sick with norwalk...except not all at the same time, but one after the other.....so now we all have had it and hopefully we will crawl out of this big hole of sickness tomorrow and start carrying on with life.

Thanks for all your replies! I hate autism too. It limits my daughter and I see her struggle everyday. I can never embrace it. I can accept it....but not embrace it.

Makena has always been anxious...with fires, ovens, candles, fire alarms...those were the biggest things. But this is new. This isn't circumstances affecting her, but now her own thoughts and this worries me. But, not sure...should it worry me? I guess because I cant help her, I feel more helpless.

I am in British Columbia. There is lots of stuff here, but not very much in our city. She is starting this Wednesday with a behavioural anaylst who teaches playing (a play group where they focus on each other, turn taking, and rules of play), and I am going to ask her. But, I think getting a referral to her paediatrician who is awesome, is probably the best way, or psychologist...whichever.

I will keep you all updated and thanks for listening. I appreciate it. Just having you all hear helps me, at least. I haven't bothered to tell anyone in the non cyber world about her anxiety. People just don't get it, and I hate it when moms of 'normal' children say 'oh me too'.

Hun that must be heart breaking to know she is feeling that way and to want to help her. I hope the referral goes through much faster xxx

I don't have anything to say but I really just wanted to send a :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->