Worried I Will Get PND Bad

jambermush

Pregnant With My First
Reaction score
I'm currently pregnant. I'm Bipolar and have been off my meds altogether because of the pregnancy. I've had a lot of stress to deal with throughout pregnancy, and sometimes feel the pressure quite a bit.

I've read, and been warned, that the probability of me getting PND is a huge percentage higher because of my Bipolar.

I've already decided, with my doctors complete support, not to breastfeed, so as I can go straight back on my meds after the baby is born, but I am still so worried that it will hit me hard and I won't be able to cope.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
And what are the things I need to be aware of that flag up PND as opposed to baby blues?

Obviously my doctor has advised me of certain things, but would prefer hearing first hand experiences rather than text book theories if that makes sense?

Thanks in advance :hugs:

I do think most woman suffer the baby blues a bit after. As our hormones get back to normal- I for sure had times all I could do was cry cause I was frustrated over this or that... even when I was happy and content I would cry over the littlest things!!! I know it's not the same thing as PND... but sounds like you are doing what you can hun. It sounds best to go straight back on your meds as soon as you can as well.

Just make sure you ask for help when you need it and trust your gut. If something doesn't feel right- or you feel you need more help, then get it. Don't wait and see.

Might also help to seek counseling before the baby comes- so you can establish a trusting relationshiop with your counselor and know they are there for you after birth. This can offer you much support in a time you may need it.

Wish I could help more... sorry... didn't want to R&R. Best of luck hun!!!!

Sending good ju ju your way and hugs :hugs: -- ya never know, maybe all will be just fine and you won't need any extra help after LO as you'll be on a baby high ;)

hi im not bipolar but just wanted to give you a bit more insight into pnd, i had my second child in 2008 and little did i know showed signs of this during the last 8 weeks of my pregnancy it can be very distressing, when my son was born i had full blown post natal phsycosis because i didnt notice the signs and didnt seek help i wont lie it was a terrible experience i was hospitalised 3 times but with hindsight i could of been place on meds during the last tri of my pregnancy if you feel yourself slipping or just feel something is not right i would seek the help of your caregiver asap dont suffer alone hun and also dont obsess about it because it will consume you and the time you spend with your bubba x

Hi I have a history of severe depression so when I was pregnant with my daughter I was prepared for pnd it never came though, I actually felt the best I've ever been for a whole year after!

With my son though it was really bad and I got puerpal psychosis :wacko:

I am a borderline, part of which is being bipolar, and I did the same as you, going off all meds during pg. It was the greatest I have felt in my whole life, the first week after delivery I felt great! Then it all went downhill, things got worse and worse and worse, and now I am at a very low point. I called my therapist yesterday to get back into therapy, and back on meds, but do want to keep bfing so who knows what she can put me on. I think the best thing you can do is get straight back on them, continue or start therapy, make sure those around you are aware and understanding, and don't be afraid to let people know how you are feeling. I am trying so hard to hide this from OH, and I want to tell him, but I don't want him to worry. I am sending you :hugs: and I hope that helped a little, but I think the most important is just to get back on the meds, and that should prevent any major issues. You may still feel down or angry sometimes, but it should not be as bad.

yes I have borderline personality disorder which is very similar in characteristics to bipolar. How are you coping without your meds?
Have you been told by your doctor that you might nee them after your baby is born?
there are tons of safe meds for breastfeeding mothers now and its better to be on a decent medication than to be too ill to look after your baby
:hugs:

yes I have borderline personality disorder which is very similar in characteristics to bipolar. How are you coping without your meds?
Have you been told by your doctor that you might nee them after your baby is born?
there are tons of safe meds for breastfeeding mothers now and its better to be on a decent medication than to be too ill to look after your baby
:hugs:

Thanks for your support.
I think I've coped pretty well without my meds as I've gone through a lot during the pregnancy so far, with my relationship breakdown, cancelling my wedding, dealing with threatening behaviour from my ex's friends and also having the loss of a family pet. I can feel it though. I know I'm not on them IYKWIM

It was my decision not to breastfeed - my Mum couldn't with either of her babies due to basically not producing milk, yet doctors forced her to try and I (her first child) had to become jaundiced for doctors to finally admit I wasn't getting any milk! I don't want the extra stress of worrying about that for my baby, that plus the medication issue, I just feel that bottle feeding will be in the baby's best interests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->