Worried I'm settin myself up for a fall? Hypno qs

pinkclaire

Mummy to two under 2
Reaction score
Ok so I've been doing my hypno course and staying positive and keeping my I can do this attitude, but I was writing my birth plan today and I realised I haven't even considered something going wrong.

Should I deal with the fact it might happen or do I stay thinking about my perfect birth, and positive thinking etc?

Hope that all makes sense!

I think that depends partly on how you cope when things go wrong in general (like, for me, when I had to go into hospital unexpectedly for something else). For me, I tend to retreat into a little place inside and just "manage", until things are safe and normal again, and then cope with the emotional aspects. So for me, picturing it in advance wouldn't help, I'll be better focussing now on trying to make everything go well. I did read something on one of the links from this section describing a submitting to a necessary c-section as an act of love - a strong act of motherhood, allowing one's own body to be cut open for the good of your child. I'll be using that viewpoint, I think, if all goes wrong and I need one. But I'll also be focussing on keeping calm whatever happens, and I've read several people who hypnobirthed through unplanned interventions say that the hypno preparation helped them stay calm and in control.

Considering something going wrong is different to worrying about it. Worry is not a helpful strategy (as my CBT therapist spent a year helping me realise) but there is nothing wrong with making some basic decisions now, in a positive way. I didn't really see the point of a birth plan as I was going to be flexible and do whatever was best for me and my baby as it arose. I ended up writing down reminders to myself of my relaxation cues and instructions for my OH on how to encourage me to relax but kept an open mind about everything else. You can't change what will happen, just how you react to it.

Thanks ladies. I think I am the sort of person who will just deal with it if I have to and like you said I can use my techniques to get me through any complications.

You don't have to plan for things to go worng - never let that come into your mind, but I would say it is usefull to consider all forms of interventions and how you feel about them, and how you would like to be treated. It is one of the best ways of avoiding them.
Don't put it on your birth plan, just allow yourself to run through what you think you would do in certain circumstances. It can help you decifer what is best for you, in the unlikey event.
You don't want to be going with the flow as far as your health is concerned with interventions - otherwise you could endup looking like you are wired for sound and unable to freely move in labour! ;-)
XxX

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/521269-your-birth-not-accident-waiting-happen.html

You might enjoy this.... :)

Thanks, Bournefree don't worry I won't be going with the flow lol.

Mervs Mum thanks as well I feel better now :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->