Worried She May Have Reflux - *Update - She does :( *

polo_princess

♥ Brookes Mummy ♥
Reaction score
Brooke has been "funny" for the last week now, at first i put it down to her being poorly but she's fine now and her ear infection has cleared up.

Feeding times are slowly becoming worse and worse, she seems to have developed a new cry which is more like a scream, she go stiff and will scream the second i take the bottle out of her mouth until i put it back in.

After feeds she has become very sicky, maybe 2 or 3 actual mouthfuls and then constant dribbles of sick right through until its almost time for her next feed. If i lay her down the sick doesnt just dribble out but nor is it projectile, kinda inbetween

I'd say this happens with 4 out of 5 feeds, and she doesnt seem to sleep properly, she's doing that "light snoozing" thing too because she seems a bit snuffly. I was up until 3am watching her the other night because i was worried she was too blocked up

It hadnt actually occurred to me about reflux but reading someone elses thread earlier and as i read through the symptoms i pretty much ticked off every one on the list.

Does it sound like it to any of you guys? She has her injections on Monday so i may well speak to the Doctor then but dont want to look like im making something out of nothing?

You could try keeping her elevated for 20-30 mins after each feed to see if that helps with the dribble. Claire will dribble if I don't keep her elevated, although I don't think she has reflux. Its more of an OCD thing with myself as I'm terrified she's going to choke on her spit up if I don't.

I do notice that there's less spit up after the fact if I keep her elevated directly after a feed. As for the screaming I don't know. Claire does that too, but she'll spit up whatever more she takes. I end up giving her a soother to calm the sucking need and give her body time to make sure she's actually hungry, not just wanting to suck.

Not sure if that helps any!

Thanks Tyff

I spoke to a doctor about it a few weeks ago and he put it down to colic but im not convinced, at first her symptoms did seem to fit that of colic but now theyve developed they dont.

I just dont want to bring it up again and look like im just over worrying things

Wouldn't you rather ask and be worrying about nothing? We're mummies it's what we do :D I hope it isn't reflux, but it's best to get early diagnoses. Can't hurt to get her checked for it :D

Hi Hun
I have to admit that I wondered this might be the case from something I read in one of your other posts somewhere (so tired my brains not working right)...

it's very common and aparently in the past it was just put down to colic but now it seems to be diagnosed left right and centre. I don't know why it seems so prevalent. The thing is DONT WORRY - it's rarely serious and there are things you can do to help. It's an extra stress for baby and parents but if you know what it is you can do the things that help make them more comfortable.

We hate giving Oscar the medicine, but it did make a difference ( took a couple of weeks) and now we are gradually weaning him off to see how he does. The hardest part is holding him upright after every feed...kills my arms especially for the middle of the night feeds, but it is worth it as he rarely screams now the way he used to.

Don't worry - if Brooke does have reflux, it is just a phase. But you want to be sure that is what is is so ask your doc or hv to be sure.

Big hugs hun. I hope she feels better soon - poor little love.

I agree with Toria, don't hesitate to ask the doctor, they are used to all sorts of questions.
Can't give you much advice, I don't know much about reflux but I hope it's not it :hugs:

Reflux is common, especially when babies start drinking alot more. The biggest sign is getting worked up at feed time, and arching their back and almost fighting feed.

Jasmine has it and 3 doctors refused to give us meds... so we dealt with it in other ways. She was switched to a formula with less iron (because this can trigger it) and she has an elevating wedge in her crib which has helped loads.

I will be honest, I havent had to keep her head elevated that much after her bedtime feed.

I also found that once she was in her jolly jumper and excersacer she wasn't as sick. She still is sick a few times a day but it isnt much anymore.

With reflux the liquid 'shoots' out like a sudden vomiting.Maybe she is just still a little unwell and recovering slowly from the ear infection. If it is reflux,then dont worry,babies grow out of it. Girls mostly at 9months and boys at 1 year. Get ready for lots of laundry!LOL! Skyler has reflux,so I know what I'm talking about.Cant remember the last time I didnt have spit on me.Hope your little angel is well soon.

If you think she has reflux which sounds like it, make sure you keep going back to the gps they will shrug you off a few times keep getting brooke weighed too make sure she is gaining and i no its a pain in the bum but i would give her smaller amounts more often this is what i do with phoebe altho it doesnt help a great deal with the sickness it tends to with the pain maybe try some gaviscon which i believe you can buy over the counter see if that helps, if you want to no anything just pm me. x

So i was right :(

Just got back from the doctors and he confirmed what i thought ... she does have reflux

He's prescribed a weeks worth of infant gaviscon and we have to go back next week to check in with him and see how she's doing

Hope she feels better soon , I had max on zantac for a month and it helped so much :)

Aww poor Brooke. At least you have somthing to help her now x x

hi
my son had reflux so I am sorry you are going through this!.
with my son he would have a bottle then he would be sick roughly half of what he had eaten not just dribbly sick but actually projectile vomiting across a room. He would then of course be hungry again an hour later. It was awful for a couple of months BUT he kept growing well and by the time he was 6 months tihngs were calming down. He is two now and he is big and tall for his age and eats pretty much anything you put in front of him.

I suppose the point of this story is that I know it seems terrible now and that it is upsetting to see your baby sick BUT you baby is OK (I remember sitting up at night crying thinking there was something serious wrong with him) and they do grow out of it none the worse for wear. My two year old is like a tank now lol

hugs
sophie

p.s sometimes gaviscon can make them a bit constipated - we were told to give a small amount of water after feeds but I dont know if that is still the advice they give it does tend to change alot!

:hug: Hope the Gaviscon makes her feel better

Oh Hun. I hope the gaviscon helps. I know how hard this is both emotionally and physically. I don't know why so many babbas seem to have reflux these days but it's horrible. With any luck she will grow out of it soon. I've had a really hard time with Oscar having reflux and it's heart rending when he is in pain but he is thriving well and growing beautifully and I'm sure Brooke is too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->