Worries about 11 year old...

MemmaJ

Reaction score
I have twin boys who are 11 and a half. Despite what they'd like to think, they are completely different and as they are getting ready to start secondary school in September, I'm a bit concerned about one of them.

They are both very polite, they're not 'naughty' and are both at the expected academic level for their age. But one of them has some behavioural/physical tendencies that I think could really go against him in high school.

He's quite 'young' for his age, and it's just lots of little things - like when he eats, he will still get it all round his face and down his clothes like a small child. He doesn't even realise he's doing it or that it's there, and will walk around for the rest of the day with food all round his face unless someone tells him to clean it off. He often comes home from school with yogurt still all over his face and jumper, from lunch time.
He also can't dress himself properly. He can't tie his shoelaces properly, and will often put his clothes on back to front or inside l-out, shoes on the wrong feet, or his clothes will be all twisted where he's pulled them on - and he'll just leave it until someone tells him, instead of straightening them out. Completely oblivious.
I would expect all of this from a younger child but not from a nearly-12 year old..! He also talks in a 'baby voice' quite a lot.
His body language and mannerisms are very awkward and childish, and he seems unable to take in basic instructions (every single day we have to remind him of simple things, like putting his shoes away when he comes in, and pushing his chair in after he's eaten. Harmless things, but things that shouldn't have to be told every day, as if they've never been said before).

He's also quite a 'physical' child and doesn't seem to have any awareness for adults personal space. We often spend our weekends with another couple and their children, and I sometimes dread it because I know that he will follow our friends (particularly the woman) around like a shadow. Every time she gets up to do anything, he'll follow her. When we are all sitting down and talking socially, instead of being off playing with all the other kids he will come and sit with us - usually sitting squeezed right up next to one of our friends (unnecessarily) - and will constantly interrupt our conversations. He clings onto adults in all other situations (e.g at school - playtime etc). They both went to football training for a short time (have since given it up) and every week, instead of joining in with the training, he would be stood at the side talking to the coach - which became an irittent to the coach, because he couldn't do his job properly and also felt a bit like we were wasting his time I think.
His general behaviour/mannerisms etc there even sparked one of the other coaches to pull my partner to one side and quietly ask if there's anything 'wrong' with him that they should know about (ie: developmental problems).

He just seems to really struggle to interact/occupy himself in the company of other children and will cling onto/attach himself to adults - sometimes inappropriately and a bit intrusively, making them feel uncomfortable as he will often lay himself on people/hug into people etc, encroaching on their personal space.
That, along with things like not being able to dress himself properly and getting food round his face all the time etc - I'm getting concerned that he's really going to get picked on in secondary school..! They're going to a brand new school where they don't know anyone, as we've just moved - and secondary school kids can be mean!

His twin brother is not like this at all, and I don't tend to compare them but it's hard not to in situations like this - when they're the exact same age and have been parented in the exact same way.
They were born at 27 weeks, not sure if that's relevant..:

It's not like we haven't tried to correct these things - we have tried for the last couple of years but everything seems to go in one ear and out the other, nothing changes. Plus when we talk to him about it, whatever approach we take (and we've tried many!), he looks at us and acts like he's being told off (when he's not) and still nothing changes.

I would suggest that you continue with talking to him about his behaviour over the rest of the summer. Try to encourage washing hands and face after eating and looking in a mirror after dressing and eating to make sure clothes look smart and clean.

When school starts make an appointment with the SENCO and his tutor asap. Explain your concerns and ask if the SENCO can see him and decide if he needs testing/ help.

From what you have written my immediate thoughts are possibly high functioning aspergers and dyspraxia. However it could be a number of things or nothing. There is no way of knowing without testing or at least a professional opinion from someone who has met him.

My first thought was that perhaps you might want to talk to an occupational therapist and as you got into the social and communication issues, I began to wonder, like the poster above me, about autism. You have described many of the characteristics. Has this ever been discussed with a doctor or teacher?

Never. I've honestly never thought of it like this before, it's only as they've entered the school holidays and the realisation has hit that they're going to 'big school', that I've really started to think about it because I'm worried what's going to happen there. I've never really thought too much into it before this - and also I think some of it has gotten worse or more noticeable as he's getting older

I've had a look online at both dyspraxia and high functioning aspergers and some of it could have been written about him... Of course some of it is not him at all, but some of it is - including many things that I've not mentioned on my OP because I didn't even realise it was a 'symptom'; I've always just put it down to 'the way he is'..! For example talking loudly and unusual stance/posture amongst others.
He also struggles with anything physical (sport, riding a scooter etc) but I always thought he was just really unco-ordinated like his dad..!

Quite honestly, I have a nephew that has a form of Aspergers and I've always (naively) thought that how HE is, is what's Aspergers is - and so I've really never considered it with my son because he's not like him! But reading into it now, I do think it's quite possible (in a more mild form, of course), as well as a lot of the dyspraxia tendencies.

I'd like to think I could talk to my sister about it and get her opinion, but I'm worried she'd almost think I'm trying to 'compete'..?! If that makes sense?! Her son is 10 but has shown his traits since a very young age and was diagnosed quite young, so I'm embarrassed and worried that my sister would think I'm being a complete weirdo because my son is 11 and I'm only just considering it now.

Thank you both so much for your replies - is it worth contacting the GP to express my concerns ASAP (rather than waiting to speak to someone at the school in September), or is a not really a GP thing..?

I agree with pp about possible dyspraxia but also agree that you should look at ways of encouraging your son, having him 'labelled' won't magically help him wipe his face or dress himself smartly. Could you buy him some wipes to keep in his school bag and tell him to go straight to the bathroom after his lunch etc to ensure he's clean. Im guessing at school he'd only need to dress himself before and after PE so could buy clothes that have a little logo on so he can check for himself that his clothes are the correct way around?

My nephew is slightly younger (he turned 10 yesterday) but he also always has food around his mouth or down his clothes so that aspect of it isn't completely unheard of.

We have tried many different ways of helping him and encouraging him. My partner (who is not their dad) has endless patience with him and is brilliant. He must have shown him a million times how to tie his shoelaces, and shown/explained to him just as many times how to eat appropriately, dress himself properly, make his bed, ride a bike... You name it. Everything!

A lot of his clothes do have logos on because they're getting older so I want them to fit in and have started buying them more branded stuff... Yesterday he came downstairs in a t-shirt that has a huge logo on (massive writing across the front) - and had it both back to front AND inside out.
I can always tell when they've had PE at school because he will come home with his uniform all twisted or inside out.
However whenever we point these things out to him or try to help him, he becomes defensive and tells us things like he 'doesn't care what he looks like'.

Of course I don't want him 'labelled', - and I think that in 11 years, the fact that I've never considered that there could be anything to it before now (when these PP's have suggested it), shows that. And that's partly when I don't think I can talk to my sister about it even though she has experience and knowledge - because I don't want to be seen as one of those parents who almost thinks it's 'trendy' for their child to have a label.
I've always thought it's just 'him'! But as he's getting older, some aspects of it are actually getting worse and I've only just now started to worry because of the effect that it all may have on him in secondary school. Even as I was writing this thread, I didn't consider there might be anything 'wrong' with him, I was just looking for advice or experiences. But having now looked into what has been suggested, it has got me thinking...

As far as it just being "the way he is" or "like dad," those things are still true, even if he has autism. Autism is a collection of traits that together create what we call autism... These traits are "just the way a person is," just like how being "neurotypical," is "just the way you are." As far as showing symptoms early and just now noticing, in order to have an autism diagnosis, symptoms have to have shown up by 3 years old. That doesn't mean you would have noticed at that point though. I don't think anything needs to be done "asap." If it's affecting him educationally I would bring it up with the school as soon as reasonably possible if you feel he will need additional supports through the school itself. As for the doctor, I don't know who the right person is to contact, but a GP is a good place to start. Part of their job is referring you to the right people.

I agree with pp about possible dyspraxia but also agree that you should look at ways of encouraging your son, having him 'labelled' won't magically help him wipe his face or dress himself smartly. Could you buy him some wipes to keep in his school bag and tell him to go straight to the bathroom after his lunch etc to ensure he's clean. Im guessing at school he'd only need to dress himself before and after PE so could buy clothes that have a little logo on so he can check for himself that his clothes are the correct way around?

My nephew is slightly younger (he turned 10 yesterday) but he also always has food around his mouth or down his clothes so that aspect of it isn't completely unheard of.

A label won't fix things, but it is a ticket to services. He sounds like he'd really benefit from OT services, for example. This is true both in and out of the school setting.

As for thinking there's something "wrong" with him, just remember that even if he is diagnosable, there's no more wrong with him than there was before the label. The label simply is a quick, short-hand way of describing the challenge. Having that "label" also allows him to qualify for services. Maybe he doesn't have anything diagnosable, but he may still have challenges that would allow an occupational Therapist to work with him. An OT would have more insight into how he sees and experiences things as well as methods that would help him do things like put clothes on the right way or make sure his food doesn't end up everywhere.

This post reminds me of my 9 year old nephew who comes across as quite immature. He prefers his own company or will chat more with adults than with his peers. He will start going on about some game and just assume you know what he is on about. whether as his younger brother will have more relevant conversations. He kind of tags along with kids but doesn't really involve himself. the way he presents himself too Is a little off. Its very subtle like the way he holds himself and his general manerisms are a little quirky. Aspergers was mentioned when he was younger but because it doesnt really affect him yet no diagnosis was sought. I do think he is never going to care what others think or cave into peer pressure. I do hope he will mature a little before high school though. with your son I would go to the GP and ask for a referal so you can possibly get some advice on how to support his self care and social skills x

A label won't fix things, but it is a ticket to services. He sounds like he'd really benefit from OT services, for example. This is true both in and out of the school setting.

I work in a school and quite often the process from the these first assessments through to receiving any help can take well over a year. What I meant was her son will need to develop 'coping strategies' to overcome these issues in the space between now and anything happening

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->