Worst tooth pain of my life

Xstwx

Mum to DS & Expecting DD
Reaction score
So I started getting toothache went to the dentist and he said I needed a root canal done but he wasn't happy to do it at this point in my pregnancy (37weeks)
I called my Dr and she said all she can suggest is to take Tylanol.
I can't eat, I can't sleep I am throwing up from the pain. What am I meant to do? Anyone else been through this? I am heading for a melt down at this point!!

I wud go bk to ur dentist Hun and tell them its just too much pain, if women are gettin too distressed with the pain then it benefits to have treatment done (im a dental nurse and even tho we don't usually do work on pregnant ladies, if they are in a lot of pain we do somethin to help!) xx

I would also go back asap. Tooth pain like that is horrendous - I consider it worse than labour pain! It's unrelenting. My dentist will also do dental work on pregnant women if it is causing so many issues. Plus the idea of labour + that tooth pain is pretty miserable. I can't believe they just said to take some tylenol! That won't touch root canal pain IME. Hugs. xoxo

I'd go back because if the infection spreads to the blood it can cause early labor. I just got a root canal I'm 32 weeks and super glad its over.

If you need a root canal, it means you have an infection there. I'm surprised they didn't at least give you a pain med prescription as well as an antibiotic. I've had 3 root canals and a tooth pulled because of abscesses and infection (though none while I've been pregnant) and each time they gave me an antibiotic prescription to take care of the infection before doing the actual tooth repair. I'd go back and get something for pain and the infection at the very least. It's not right that you are in that much pain. If your dentist won't help, then go to your doctor. I'm sure they can give you the antibiotic and a pain med to get you through until after you deliver.

I know this is a couple of weeks old but just wondering how you went on? I'm in a similar situation now but only 28 weeks and it's been so bad with pain! I went back to the dentist for a third time yesterday and he removed the temporary filling, caused some bleeding and then just put another temporary filling in. Well now it's still painful but I don't know if that's just coz of the work he did yesterday or whether he hasn't actually solved the problem. I don't know what else to do because I am in the UK and there isn't currently another dentist that will take me!!

I know this is a couple of weeks old but just wondering how you went on? I'm in a similar situation now but only 28 weeks and it's been so bad with pain! I went back to the dentist for a third time yesterday and he removed the temporary filling, caused some bleeding and then just put another temporary filling in. Well now it's still painful but I don't know if that's just coz of the work he did yesterday or whether he hasn't actually solved the problem. I don't know what else to do because I am in the UK and there isn't currently another dentist that will take me!!

has he said what the problem with your tooth is? Is there an infection present or just a hole??

It's an infection, the emergency dentist drained the abcess and gave me antibiotics 2 weeks ago for it, then when I went to my dentist he just put the temporary filling in (which he replaced yesterday). He keeps saying to come back if I get any pain but this is the third time I've been in 2 weeks now.

Oh poor you hun! I had really bad pain a couple last week.. the dentist just took it out there and then. It was a back wisdom tooth though so nothing too cosmetic/awkward (apart from avoiding food getting in the gap now! urgh!)

Can they not do that rather than root canal? Or is it a tooth in the middle of the mouth? xxx

He says I need an x ray before he can remove it and won't give me an x ray coz I'm pregnant ��

If you need a RCT its most likely abscessed. In that case, an anitbiotic is what is actually going to get you out of pain, as its the pressure of the abscess causing the pain. I am absolutely baffled by some of the posts you guys put up about the NHS dentists, so Im hoping I truly just dont have all the story!?

If you need a RCT its most likely abscessed. In that case, an anitbiotic is what is actually going to get you out of pain, as its the pressure of the abscess causing the pain. I am absolutely baffled by some of the posts you guys put up about the NHS dentists, so Im hoping I truly just dont have all the story!?

I'm not sure what you mean Hun?

I think she means that in America their dental care is known to be much better, most Americans would be shocked at our teeth lol. I guess because they pay privately they get more options and better dentistry where as we rely on the NHS it's more a fix the problem rather than preventative or cosmetic.

So if someone in America had pain like you they would sort it then and there rather than drag it out like this.

Ahhhh I see lol. Yeah it does amaze me sometimes how people from elsewhere in the world don't understand why our dentists don't seem to actually help! You'd think it would be wasting less of their time because I have now seen my dentist twice and an emergency dentist once, all of which may have been avoided had my dentist just helped in the first place. I guess he's trying to avoid me having to have an x ray whilst pregnant, but from what I can gather it's not a major problem to have a mouth x ray in pregnancy.

I do feel like the dentist is always rushing, I was in there for a whole five mins yesterday whilst he removed the filling, messed about (and caused bleeding!) and put a new filling in. Honestly I've never had such a quick appointment in my life!

I think she means that in America their dental care is known to be much better, most Americans would be shocked at our teeth lol. I guess because they pay privately they get more options and better dentistry where as we rely on the NHS it's more a fix the problem rather than preventative or cosmetic.

So if someone in America had pain like you they would sort it then and there rather than drag it out like this.

Yes, this :thumbup:

Not saying you guys dont have good dentists or get good work, I just mean some of the posts on here make it look like you guys sure get dragged around on some of it....but again, I make no judgement, as Im not there and dont know what alls involved. But standard Dentistry 101 is an antibiotic for an asbscess unless medically disadvised, and pregnancy is not a reason to not tx it!

Yeah my dentist is a bit of a cowboy I think but seen as there's no others accepting NHS patients at the moment he can do what he wants coz I've no other choice! He is treating it, just doing the minimal possible. I was surprised he didn't give me antibiotics too but maybe it's because the emergency dentist did 3 weeks ago? But then the infection obviously hasn't cleared otherwise the pain would be gone wouldn't it?
Basically the tooth just needs removing and he won't do it til I've had baby, maybe he's just playing it safe but from what I've read having a tooth infection in pregnancy can be dangerous in itself so who knows?!

Dental surgeries must be avoided at the time of pregnancy as the patient doesn't threshold the pain. Its would be better if you consult near by dental cares or in better option family dentist silver spring(as they are very much reliable) for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->