Would appreciate your advice!!

flower01

Expecting Baby 3!!
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a 5 day old girl and need some advice.
I seem to have forgotten everything!

Firstly, baby feeds ok in the day and sleeps ok but then when it gets to midnight she wakes and won't feed properly, keeps coming off the breast and then is determined to be awake all night.

My hubby took her downstairs last night and gave her a dummy.
This morning, bearing in mind she slept on him for 5 hours she didn't want to feed but yet has cried all morning. I've really struggled to keep her on to feed.

We have been having a few issues with latch but yesterday my midwife helped me get the latch right and it was much better, now she doesn't want to feed!

Also, she won't sleep anywhere but on us which is fine in the day but not at night. Hubby has had her on the sofa for the past 5days as it's the only place she sleeps, cuddled up in his dressing gown!

Any tips on getting her to sleep elsewhere??!

Is this normal behaviour?!

Thank you!!

Xxxxx

Yes it's normal behavior! I eventually started co sleeping to get some rest at night and it's working a treat. Maybe this could work for you?

If you want her to feed you may need to change her to wake her up. I woke DS to feed for the first two weeks to help with my supply but now I follow his lead.

I'd be careful with the dummy... She's obviously comforting herself with it but it could be stopping her from feeding.

Sounds normal. Does she cluster feed during the day/evening. If not it might be that her internal clock is a bit skewed and she wants to cluster feed at midnight - this is important to stimulate milk production, but you could try waking her for more frequent feeds during the day if you want to discourage this from happening at night (no promises though, some just will do what they want to do!).

Babies who struggle to get a good latch first time can spend a lot of their cluster feeding and growth spurting time actually pulling off the breast and screaming rather than feeding because they are too hungry and get frustrated when the milk won't come (especially if she is still working on bringing your proper milk in - has that come yet?). If she seems truly hungry but won't stay on you could try syringe feeding her some expressed milk to calm her and take the edge off her hunger and then try relatching after that. Breat compressions (great instructions on Kelly Mom) can stop babies getting frustrated when flow slows down, and encouraging a baby to keep awake to take a full feed.

Thank you ladies

Last night she slept until 2am then fed at 2,3 and 4:30am! But did rest I between so it's more bearable!

I've given up trying to get her to sleep in a Moses basket. Co sleeping it is! And I get cuddles all night too :D

I had to co sleep with my baby naked down to her diapers and placed over a boob all night, to get her to sleep/eat/not cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->