would I be a benefit scrounger if...

hellohefalump

Reaction score
If I claimed DLA for a mental health problem?

Basically, I have a long history of severe (requiring hospitalisation) depression, eating disorders and more recently, psychosis. I'm on high doses of anti depressants and anti psychotics, that for now are keeping me on an even keel.

I have tried so many times to hold down a job. I really want to be able to have a job and keep it. I even tried just doing a course so I'd be able to get onto a degree course and get a better job in the future. But I lasted half a term before my depression got so bad I was suicidal, and it was only because I was on so many meds already that I didn't go into psychosis aswell.

Basically, I get stressed over the SLIGHTEST thing - travelling to work for one. I get so anxious about not being late, driving, finding a place to park the car that I get depression which quickly becomes so severe I can't do anything.

Anyway, the thing is, my meds make me very sleepy, especially when I first get up. I don't wake up in the night for the children, and I don't get woken up by alarm clocks. So my partner has to get me up every morning and it takes a good few hours for me to become 'functional'. Think, the crippling tiredness you get in the first tri of pregnancy when you just can't stay awake. That's how I feel every morning.

My partner is currently unemployed because he had to leave his job to look after me and the kids, when I was going through a bad patch. He gets jobseekers allowance as he's currently looking for a job. The thing is, he can't find a job because he needs to be around in the mornings to get us all out of bed and he needs to be around a lot in the day because I get stressed out (and then really depressed, then psychosis etc) when I'm looking after the house and the children on my own.

So we thought, if I could claim DLA, then he could get carers allowance? Would that be scrounging?

Please, I just want your opinion on whether that's scrounging or not... I don't need to hear 'you're just being lazy' 'pull yourself together' 'everyone else manages why can't you?' comments as they really upset me and I will get depression for weeks about it - I told you, I get depressed over tiny things.

Benefits are there for those who need it, unfortunately many people abuse the system through greed and laziness but I would never for one second suggest that is your intention. There is a history of mental illness in my family so it is very close to me and I know just how debilitating it can be. Your concern should be about getting yourself better and avoiding any additional stresses so don't even worry about what someone may or may not think about you claiming DLA, its none of their business and I honestly don't believe anyone would think of you as a scrounger anyway.

Look after yourself. x

Is there any way you could get yourself 'assessed' by either your chief medical carer or by the benefits agency itself. That way, you're just asking the question.

Personally, it doesn't sound like you'd be a scrounger at all. You've tried which a scrounger wouldn't.

I dont think that you would be a scrounger at all, reason being that you have medical reasons that you would not be able to hold down a job and your partner needs to care for you for a valid reason. If the government think that you would be entitled to this, which i cant see why they wouldnt, then nobody would have the right to think of you as a scrounger because lord knows those tests are very vigourous these days they dont just let anyone have it.

:hugs: I hope everything works out for you. I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder so I can sympathise what you are going through to a small extent and I am here to talk to if you need an ear or a shoulder.

thankyou for your input everyone, I've made an appointment to see my doctor to see what they think (I think you have to have a doctor back up your claim?) There's no appointments with my doctor though until the end of the month, but at least I've made an appointment.

Thats a step in the right direction. Not sure if you need a doctors referal but if you had a citizens advice near you maybe you could speak to them sooner than your docs appointment or even try direct.gov.uk for some info hth.

Put in a claim hun it will tell you everything you will need to do if you need your doctors referral or not.
Hoe you get better soon.

being on benefits doesn't make you a scrounger. its the people what are fully capable of working, yet refuse to work that are the scroungers! i am 22 next month & i have worked ever since i have left school. i had a job when i got pregnant but left due to being treated unfairly, then started a new job when i was 5 months pregnant. i then went back to work when my son was 18 months & works for a year until i was diagnosed with depression :( & i will be returning to work in september when lo starts nursery. after all this, just because i am on benefits i get classed as a scrounger :wacko:

sorry for the rant, i have obviously kept that bottled up for awhile :haha: but you would definitely NOT be classed as a scrounger, even though some people would be stupid enough to say it xx
[/color]

just wanted to say im in the same boat i suffer bad panic attacks and was hospiised when i had brooke i did claim for dla and i got the high rate care and low mobilty.

like u i could never hold a job.

im also on antipycotics quitipine.

ur not a scrounger they are people that claim when they have nothing wrong with them

dla is there to help people who are ill and need it.

No, you wouldn't be a benefit scrounger hun.

Though I do suggest getting CAB or welfare rights to help you with the form, higher sucess rate cause they know the phrasology that DWP want to hear.

The fact that your worried about it means your heart is in the right place. I think people with depression and anxiety (myself included) are harder on ourselves than other people are on us. I look around me and say, "why can't I just be calm and happy, everyone else is doing just fine". But I've come to the conclusion that for me, there's a very large chemical part in my issues. Chemically I'm more prone to anxiety, chemically, I'm more prone to depression. Could I try harder to be happier? Yes, sure I could, but will trying harder actually help my issues? Of course not, if it was that simple I'd have been "cured" long ago.

Sorry for the rambling. The fact that you ask and are worried about the stigma of getting help means your willing to take the help that is offered for people just like you, and that your willing to do more for yourself to get better. Taking help like this is giving yourself some space to heal and grow and get better so that you don't have to depend on the government forever. Good luck with it!

Thankyou everyone for all your comments, it means a lot. xx

I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday, we managed to get an earlier appointment.

Do see citizens advice bureau as someone suggested they know the way to apply - how you have described life I do no think you would be a 'scounger' at all it sounds tough for you and OH at this time x

we should eat fresh and healthy food and vegetables,
which makes us healthy and also doing exercise....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->