Would it be pointless...

fantastica

Mum.
Reaction score
Jacob is nearly 15months...would it be pointless to go cloth now? Been thinking about it for a while -the first week of his life was in cloth, the hospital were doing a trial haha :p, just never got around to doing it! Does it seem silly so late on?

Also..what ones would you recommend? I was looking at the mothercare smart nappy (just for quickness) but no idea what i'm even looking for really, I did buy the trial pack which has one nappy in, so will give it a go!

And another really stupid question...how many would I need for say a week?? And how do you wash them? can you just put them in your normal wash?! Or do they have to be at a certain temp? And where do you keep dirty ones until you're doing a wash...doesn't it get messy?!!

It depends whether you plan to have more children or not, if so, then you can reuse them for them as well and would make huge savings! Ella only started at 13 mths.
We like pockets best, they work for our lifestyle, dry quickly, easy to use etc.
We go through about 4-5 a day, depending how much she poops! :lol:
You just wash as you would a normal load, but use less powder. Warm wash is usually needed. Used ones are kept in a bucket, without water (no soaking!), just get the poop off them into the toilet before you pop it in the bucket. You can use flushable liners which contain the poop and you just flush it all down the loo and the nappy will have barely any poop on it.

Thank you :)

What are pockets? Sorry this is all so confusing!

I keep reading about pockets, flips, covers etc. no idea what any of it means! :wacko:

Flushable liners sounds like a good option..what kind of makes are they?! No idea where to start looking!! x

Sarah what ones do you use?! I have no idea where to start looking! x

Pockets are waterproof nappies that have a pocket in the back that you put the absorbant insert into, then it's all ready to go.
Tbh, the thing I found easiest was to just buy a couple and have a go. You can read and read and read and still be confused until you see one irl.
I use a no name brand that I bought off an auction website, I'm sure you could get them on ebay.

Not too late. If you're planning on more children you can re-use them. If you're not, you can sell your nappies on after you've finished with them. You could also buy second hand now. Also, you'll find it much easier to train, after they have been in cloth, as they learn cause and effect, which they can't feel with disposables!

https://www.usednappies.co.uk is a good place to start. Ebay has banned the sale of used nappies, but you can sometimes find some on there. Or try the forums buy and sell threads.

For help with understanding the different systems of nappies, have a look at www.thenappyline.co.uk

Theres also a good sticky at the top of this section with info on different types of nappies :)

if it were me ... i might think about a one-size pocket type, maybe like a bumgenius, as they should fit toddlers and are meant to last till potty training. Then, if you do have more, you can reuse them on the new baby. And we find them teh easiest to use - but some people like the 2-parters best (an absorbet nappy covered with a separate wrap to make it waterproof - I think the smart nappy is this type). You probably wouldnt need to get very many, maybe enough for a few days - and then you wouldnt have to buy another sposie :)
my 8.5m old uses maybe 6 a day? we wash every 2-3 days, you can just use your normal detergent but a very small amount of it, and no softener (or you can put a slug of vinegar in the machine). Some inserts take longer to dry (like bamboo or hemp ones), some like microfibre dry pretty quickly. So you'd also need to consider how you'll dry them (tumble, line or airer).
It took me ages to decide which type when I was first thinking about it though, and meetings with a few 'nappy gurus' to have a play with them! There is also a nappy library in this section where you can borrow to try out ones you like the sound of.

Thank you everyone :)

Looking at bumgenius atm, they look like a pretty simple place to start! What does snap, aplix etc. mean?? which ones do you prefer?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->