Would YOU be angry/upset??

Night Flower

Reaction score
Ive been breast feeding our 4 week old baby since birth. Up until Monday of this week, we've offered occasionally, formula to supplement.

My breast milk is now fully "working", and I'm producing enough now without the need for formula. We agreed to only offer it very rarely.

Tonight/early morning our baby started to cry at 1:45. Her last feed was at 10pm. My husband fed her formula while I was in the shower.

I was a bit upset but I got over it and just pumped my milk.

Then at 1:45AM I went to the bathroom as soon as I woke up to her cry and as I was coming out a moment later, my husband was feeding her AGAIN the damned formula!

I was quite angry! And am quite angry! My breasts are rock hard full of milk. I thought we had talked about this? What happened? Do I need to toss the formula out of the house so he understands that my BOOBS are good enough for her???

I am still quite livid...we are in seperate rooms and currently not talking. Painful engorged boobs = one upset me.

:(

Congrats on the new baby! Engorged boobs HURT, perhaps explain to him he is making you do double the work in a way -you have to get up anyway due to the pain so you may as well feed rather than pump for comfort. It sounds like he is trying to help possibly and let you rest. What reason did he give for giving the formula?

Rock hard boobs is not fun. Explain how uncomfortable it is to your husband so he understands why you need to feed her. Pumping helps but doesn't drain them the way your lo would.

I'm sure he thinks he's helping you out but tell him again that you want to breastfeed her and the formula is only for rare occasion. Does he feel left out if bit giving the bottle?

Tonight he did say he just was trying to help me out. Says because I left the room right when she started to cry he thought he needed to handle the situation. I dont know what he's talking about. I just had to quickly pee before sitting down with her on my belly for 20 mins of breastfeeding. A fullbladder is no fun when you have a 11# baby on your belly.

But we've talked about this quite a few times. Its OK to let her fuss alittle if mommy has to leave the room to pee. We dont have to just quickly bottle her every single time she cries.

Its something we've already talked about quite a few times. I guess, this is why I'm upset. I feel likehe loves bottle feeding her so much that he doesnt want me to breastfeed anymore. .

I have to say I would be livid! I'd hide the formula somewhere!

I think you are right to be upset if you've talked about this before. It is sweet that he enjoys feeding your Lo and wants to be a part of that, but surely he can do the burping and nappy changes as part of the feeding routine once you have finished BFing?

And yes, I'd hide or throw the formula away.

If you don't need the formula any more then yes, throw it out.

I refused to ever have any in the house so there was never an option. (More so to stop me being tempted as my DH is very anti-formula anyway)

Tell him you threw it out and hide it somewhere......if you have enough milk you should just go to breast milk and he wants to help out try to keep a bottle of expressed milk in the fridge that he can grab. (I'll pump in the morning to have that 2-3 ounces around for cases where he's fussing and I'm having a shower ect. I'll freeze it if I don't use it or just use it from the bottle myself.

Good luck!

Tell him you threw it out and hide it somewhere......if you have enough milk you should just go to breast milk and he wants to help out try to keep a bottle of expressed milk in the fridge that he can grab. (I'll pump in the morning to have that 2-3 ounces around for cases where he's fussing and I'm having a shower ect. I'll freeze it if I don't use it or just use it from the bottle myself.

Good luck!

This is great idea. :)

Yes, I would be very upset. I agree with the others- if you are making enough milk, throw the formula away. Don't even have it around. If he likes feeding her then maybe plan to express so that he can feed her once a day, at an agreed upon time. That is a great way to make sure she continues to take a bottle.

Wow I would be furious if you've discussed it already. As if bfing isn't hard enough already.

Agree with pp, I'd set aside time for him to give one bottle per day (for me I'd pick evening to get a longer stretch of sleep in), formula or expressed. And if he can't stick with that, the formula would go!

Well we've talked and let the incident go.

But I now have to use the nipple shields again. After 2 weeks without using them, for some reason I think the other night triggered our baby to need me to use these again. Or perhaps not. An odd coincidence I suppose. But now she fusses non-stop without them. But we're back at bottle feeding and I do pump once a day now so DH gets some bottle feeding time in for her and it lets me go off and do something around the house for a bit. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->